News   Sep 17, 2024
 607     1 
News   Sep 17, 2024
 662     0 
News   Sep 17, 2024
 563     0 

NYCC, Etobicoke CC, STC: Relics of the past?

Agreed. VCC will be interesting to watch. I foresee a sizable boondoggle...but then again, people said the same about Canary Wharf.

Speaking of Canary Wharf-esque style of building, I find a bit of hypocrisy in my thinking. Part of me dislikes attempts to attain rival CBDs, but at the same time I envision a prominent business district for the Lower Don Lands and Port Lands. Would the same arguments against attaining rival downtowns like STC, NYCC hold true for our currently derelict waterfront?

I would argue that the Lower Don Lands and the Port Lands are close enough downtown to be considered part of the downtown (though not truly the centre). Having two rival CBDs that close together may provide more mutualistic benefits for both than a CBD out in the suburbs (i.e. a restaurant located between Bay Street and the Portlands will likely see traffic from both). And a bit of friendly intracity rivalry never hurts, right?

I would argue that the Lower Don Lands and the Port Lands are close enough downtown to be considered part of the downtown (though not truly the centre). Having two rival CBDs that close together may provide more mutualistic benefits for both than a CBD out in the suburbs (i.e. a restaurant located between Bay Street and the Portlands will likely see traffic from both). And a bit of friendly intracity rivalry never hurts, right?

I agree that the close proximity of the Port Lands to downtown more or less detracts from the notion of a rivaling CBD. However, the disconnectedness of the LDL and Port Lands does put it close to par with other suburban CBDs with regards to investment in infrastructure needed. Bridges, LRT, better roads...in terms of cost, that's right up there with extensions of a subway line to places like VCC, NYCC, SCC. It's not like this is Southcore.

Back