News   May 10, 2024
 739     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 874     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 935     0 

Nuit Blanche

The Yonge-Dundas area is a madhouse. Taking some time off and will head back out closer to 10pm when hopefully some of the families will have headed home.

Yeah for some reason I decided to drive Yonge St. back into the city just now, mostly to get a scope of the events. That was a mistake, 25 minutes from Alymer to Adelaide.

Should be a good night though, it's time to warm myself up with a few brews and then hit the festivities.

I started at about 11pm, home around 4:00. I did the areas of Yorkville, Queens Park, University Ave, Grange Park, Queen West, City Hall, Union Stn., Yonge+Dundas, Ryerson, MLG & finished at Church Street. Aside from "Horridor" which I loved, I didn't see an awful lot that really turned my crank. Mostly throngs of people seemingly hungry like me for something to be inspired by. At the end of it all, I was more excited about being inside MLG than the "Without Persons" installation which I found somewhat unintelligible and confusing. It even smells like it used to in there, less the cigarette smoke.
It seems to me that it was busier last year too.

My dog enjoying two dudes tossing a red glow-in-the-dark frisbee at the north end of the floor of MLG. Security didn't like it though, they put a stop to their impromptu activity shortly after they started. Boooo!

Did a loop from College Park, to MLG to Ryerson to Dundas Square/Eatons Centre/Massey Hall to Nathan Phillips and then the AGO

College park was a waste. We waited for a good 20 mins for zombies, and the only exciting thing to happen was an impromptu wave that the crowd managed to get to go around the pond a good dozen times or so. We decided it just wasn't worth wasting more time on and left.

I have to agree that the "art" in MLG was horrible, but just being in the building was really cool. I've never been in there, so it was fantastic to see. Most people outside of the arena were asking if it was worth doing and most of the answers from people simply involved getting to go inside the arena. Most people didn't care about the "art".

Ryerson had some okay stuff. Ducks in Lake Devo and an alley way with book pages stuck to the wall. There was some sort of aluminum robot on Victoria as well, but it was impossible to get close to it at the time. Looked neat from across the road though.

Dundas Square was a waste. The idea of shining a spotlight on people in a place that is so lit up it makes you feel like its noon was in hindsight a bad idea.

The jello blob in the Eaton Centre looked cheap and even from different vantage points never really came across as anything cool. It just looked like something you'd see at Ikea.

Massey Hall had a makeshift ceiling put up within the alleyway. There was symbolism there, and you could take some cool pictures as there was a lot of random junk all over the place (old type writers, binders, office supplies). I think it was what I expected.

Nathan Phillips Square was by far the highlight. It was fantastic to see and when we were there we saw some pong and space invaders being played on the buildings. I found it was similar to the Pulse from last year's luminato in terms of its attractiveness.

OCAD was ok. People were taping their own drawings on pieces of paper to everything. Next door there was a really cool shadow demonstration with an exercise bike hooked up to a projector. Anyone could go up and ride the bike and the shadows/projection made it look like the rider was on a horse. The projector was set up to alternate images as the rider peddled to make it look like it was galloping. It was pretty cool.

Like last year, this was hit or miss. I found that the descriptions/pictures in the books and on the websites really made things sound and look a lot better than they were. Looking at the picture in the program of the blob thing in the Eaton Centre, they're hardly the same thing. Same goes for many others. I know they have to sell it and I know that the artists are proud of their work, so they're going to hype it up, but all it does is cause a let down.
I'm sure other sections had hit or miss projects as well, but by the time we got to AGO we didn't feel excited enough about the night to continue on.
I'll put some pictures up later.

We were out at the worst time (8-11) but ended up enjoying Nuit Blanche more for the people than the art. In a way I think the crowds were the art and downtown became the canvas as they livened up a city that is far too quiet most evenings outside of a few designated "entertainment" districts. We only hit zones A and B but had a good time.

The crowds were omnipresent, but the sight of so many relatively jovial Torontonians (er, GTA'ers) of all different types at such a late hour with maps in hand and art to see was inspiring.

Although some pieces didn't impress we found the World Press Photos exhibit at the Atrium to be excellent as it included some striking photos from around the world. Zombies in Condoland at 8:30 ended up being entertaining in a different way, as there was a role reversal in which the poor zombies were isolated in pockets and mobbed by large throngs of picture-taking humans who were milling around. We didn't even try to get into MLG for the "Without Persons" show as the lineup was far too long.

I did most of zone B and then went for zone C. Blinkenlights was definitely creative and entertaining, yet not really artistic. It has a lot of potential. Stillnessence really stood out for me, as did Alternator. That show in Liberty Village where they smashed various items was hardly artistic, though it drew a very large crowd. The bag check at Lamport Stadium was very pointless.

Without Persons at MLG had a long line, but it moved fast. Very cool to get into MLG.

I wouldn't quite call it disappointing, but there was little "oooh, wow" to the whole thing. The Massey Hall alley was worth it, and really neat. The blob in Eaton Centre was kind of neat, but I couldn't figure out why people crowded at the bottom - I thought there might have been more to it. I started at the south end - Union Station (Horridor was okay), the overhead canvas in the York teamway was okay, but slightly disappointing, 15 Minutes was a neat concept, I liked that. Boardroom was nothing I expected. The crowds were quite light there, until you got to NPS, where the huge crowds started.

I also wonder if "zombies in condoland" were the people waiting and chanting for zombies crowded around the pool/rink and the pit - maybe having huge crowds sitting around and waiting for something that never will happen is the point. Are we the zombies?

The local businesses failed to figure it out. Any Tim Hortons was swamped, with the regular two-person crew and nothing on the shelves. Starbucks all were closed downtown. You'd think they could have made a bundle.

The crowds were way too much sometimes. I wonder if it would be feasible to do a Friday-Saturday night combo, if only for crowd control and let people take in an extra zone.

I also wonder if "zombies in condoland" were the people waiting and chanting for zombies crowded around the pool/rink and the pit - maybe having huge crowds sitting around and waiting for something that never will happen is the point. Are we the zombies?
That's exactly what I said to one of my friends after we'd been there for about 5 minutes. We waited 5 more then moved on as nothing appeared to be happening.

MLG was definitely the highlight (though not for the art). It was lined up around the corner but it did move fast, we probably only waited 10 minutes or less. It was good to see they've cleaned it inside up since CTV did that report last year showing how decrepit it had become. It brought back some great memories of going to games there as a kid - I even spotted our old seats up in the end blues. Unfortunately my camera died so I only got a few pictures with my phone.

Otherwise I found the entire night to be pretty underwhelming.

Without Persons at MLG had a long line, but it moved fast. Very cool to get into MLG.

The local businesses failed to figure it out. Any Tim Hortons was swamped, with the regular two-person crew and nothing on the shelves. Starbucks all were closed downtown. You'd think they could have made a bundle.

The crowds were way too much sometimes. I wonder if it would be feasible to do a Friday-Saturday night combo, if only for crowd control and let people take in an extra zone.

I also think there was some subtle role-reversal with the "Zombies" bit, which is likely why it was so over-crowded with non-Zombies acting a bit like zombies. I was also surprised with some of the businesses because all of the ones that were open were busy, even some of the seedier fast food joints. I like the idea of a Nuit Blanche weekend because there was no change I was going to do Zone C, especially since Zones A and B were decent but not outstanding.

Lot's of remarks here already:

I'll add:

*dt_toronto_geek, Nice shot of the decrepit MLG seats.

*Lastman... I remember seeing him wandering around the Yonge and Eg Yonge Street Party a few years ago by himself; no 'handlers', wearing a huge gold neck chain and a gold Rolex Daytona.

*TTC service on King - horrible - 10 minutes between cars; and some of the eastbound ones turned south on Bathurst to go to the EX?? wtf?

*the event at the Italian Consulate garden was nice; they even laid on potties.

*Lamport stadium event was cool if just for the music and goofiness of it all.

*Also just outside and south of Lamport Stadium, ScotiaBank laid on a tent with chandeliers, sofas, blankets, black draped chairs and tables, very Hollywood and open to the public for a rest; but no one used the area, thinking it was for corporate types.

Mustapha, could you describe the scene at Lamport? Were the mascots interacting with the audience? I was most curious about this one and regret not getting to Zone C for it.

Blah. The only zombie to be seen at College Park was Adam Vaughan around 10 pm.

The event was surprisingly crowded. I don't mind crowds at all, but I do get annoyed when they're walking slowly and taking pictures of everything! I enjoyed walking along the city hall mezzanine. Not something you can do every day.

I really hate that everything was closed besides the usual open 24-hour places. Our musuems and art galleries should have been open, and bars and restaurants should have stayed open a bit later.

On the bright side, the spacing was perfect this year... though more streets NEED to be closed. Yonge St. was just madness around Yonge and Dundas with pedestrians flowing onto the street at times because there was no room on the sidewalk. The fact that street artists were allowed on the west side of Yonge by the Eaton Centre entrance last night didn't help with flow control either. If they decide to keep the same zone layout next year, King st. should be closed to automobiles (keep the TTC running though) and Yonge should also be closed.

Starbucks at Bloor & Yonge was open. Not sure how late into the night but it was open around midnight. Not that I care for Starbucks coffee... I would have preferred bars be allowed to serve until morning. If that had been the case we would have stopped in at the Rhino for the animation. Ah well. Too bad too many people can't hold their alcohol and act like assholes. It was good to see the Sam The Record Man sign lit up one last time.

I'll preface our experience with what I consider art:

If I can do it then it's not art.

That being said, boy what a letdown. We did visit all three zones but cut out a lot of A and C in the early hours of the morning after we've been disappointed with so much. A lot of it wasn't art. It was just crap.

City Hall was kind of interesting with the playing of pong. MLG was cool to get into and onto the former playing surface but uh, yeah, nice exhibit. :rolleyes: The guy playing god was sort of entertaining. I think he was wearing a mop on his head. I was going to ask "What the FUCK?!" for my question but there were kids there and I didn't want to wait too long. The waterfall in Liberty Village was alright. The zombieland thing wasn't unless as has been mentioned, the joke was on us for being the zombies. I saw more zombies wandering around other parts of the city than there. The alley way with the junk and garbage was stupid. Boo to the people who stole the red light exhibit thing at Trinity and the ducks at Ryerson. The rest of the stuff we saw was just meh.

The Queen streetcar service was abysmal. :mad:

Back