News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 559     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

It would also need a deep clean before use. And if there are carpets, those would have to come up.
Which makes me wonder how the cruise ship industry will clean their ships, both now and ongoing? They’ll almost need UV lights or fogging of each room between sailings. My wife and I took a cruise to Alaska from Seattle in August 2019 and since there’s only a few hours between cruises for a cursory clean, we came prepared, and sanitizing every corner of that room, tv remote, etc. But you still need to worry about public spaces. The cruise industry needs to sort this out.

I’ve always been a bit of a optimistic fatalist, so I’ll still take cruises.

Last edited:
Without diminishing the Covid issue in the least, I do think context is always a good thing.

So I looked up the total number of deaths in Ontario in a typical year.

The answer is roughly 110,000

That works out to 2,100 per week.

Which makes me wonder how the cruise ship industry will clean their ships, both now and ongoing? They’ll almost need UV lights or fogging of each room between sailings. My wife and I took a cruise to Alaska from Seattle in August 2019 and since there’s only a few hours between cruises for a cursory clean, we came prepared, and sanitizing every corner of that room, tv remote, etc. But you still need to worry about public spaces. The cruise industry needs to sort this out.

I’ve always been a bit of a optimistic fatalist, so I’ll still take cruises.
The cruise industry does have some experience with this, probably more than most. Remember Norwalk?

Without diminishing the Covid issue in the least, I do think context is always a good thing.

So I looked up the total number of deaths in Ontario in a typical year.

The answer is roughly 110,000

That works out to 2,100 per week.

"We do not know exactly how many people have been infected, but we know that the number of deaths <in Nembro> officially attributed to Covid-19 is 31.

Nembro should have had - under normal conditions - about 35 deaths. 158 people were registered dead this year by the municipal offices. That is 123 more than the average. Not 31 more, as it should have been according to the official numbers of the coronavirus epidemic."

The statistics are similar out of Bergamo, Italy too. They are only considering those that tested positive and passed away in hospital as COVID-19 deaths. Many who have passed away in their homes (and horrifyingly, their bodies are stuck with their relatives) are not being officially counted as coronavirus deaths as they haven't been tested positive.

I know you are not downplaying the COVID issue, but this is a very statistically significant increase to normal conditions.

"We do not know exactly how many people have been infected, but we know that the number of deaths <in Nembro> officially attributed to Covid-19 is 31.

Nembro should have had - under normal conditions - about 35 deaths. 158 people were registered dead this year by the municipal offices. That is 123 more than the average. Not 31 more, as it should have been according to the official numbers of the coronavirus epidemic."

The statistics are similar out of Bergamo, Italy too. They are only considering those that tested positive and passed away in hospital as COVID-19 deaths. Many who have passed away in their homes (and horrifyingly, their bodies are stuck with their relatives) are not being officially counted as coronavirus deaths as they haven't been tested positive.

I know you are not downplaying the COVID issue, but this is a very statistically significant increase to normal conditions.

I don't disagree.

But I find the data has been less than transparently shared.

Its like pulling teeth

We also need to know how many of those extra deaths are or will be un-treated cancer, or a cancelled transplant.

That is not an argument against the current course of action or the seriousness of Covid.

It is an argument for complete transparency, not merely for its own sake, but so what we can understand what trade-offs are being made, and optimize our planning/healthcare accordingly.

Can someone help reconcile this for me?

The City closed all the parks washrooms; but is now installing portable washrooms in several parks.................

If there isn't a glaring inconsistency there..............

1585671882128.png

Can someone help reconcile this for me?

The City closed all the parks washrooms; but is now installing portable washrooms in several parks.................

If there isn't a glaring inconsistency there..............

View attachment 238995

I suspect that Parks washrooms are more 'luxurious' so more likely to become 'homes'. Also I think Parks washrooms would be maintained by PFR Staff while portables would be looked after by the company they rent from. That said, it does sound rather 'silo-ish'.

The problem with using arenas is the need to keep them available and in usable condition should their respective seasons resume. In order to use it after a Pandemic the entire building would need to undergo a deep clean to disinfect surfaces, it would not be quick for buildings the size of arenas and stadiums.

I think facilitating resumption of a sports season is way down on any emergency planner's list of thing they care about. The coroner commandeered an arena (Woodbridge I believe) in 1970 for the Air Canada Flight 621 crash.

I don't wish to be melodramatic............but

This power-grab by government is getting completely out of hand...........its a global phenomenon, not supported by science or thoughtful risk-management.

View attachment 238949

Ya, I don't get this (O/Reg. 89/20 under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act). I can understand extending some emergency powers to regulate traffic, normally the purview of the police, to MTO staff, but the concept of closing and towing seems bizarre. He says he is taking his lead from the medical professionals and I'd like to hear their position on this. He said yesterday or today that he will shut down the province if that's what it takes. I'm not sure if he's trying to sound all leader-like to shake people aware. If he does this, there will be runs on grocery stores and hoarding that will make earlier episodes pale in comparison.

With trudeau getting the military ready

I think they are planning to put Ontario into lockdown I think.

The military has to be prepared nation-wide, not just in Ontario. They are worried that things like seasonal flooding and forest fires in the coming months will overwhelm already depleted local resources.

I am on another private forum that focuses on all matters Canadian military and they are somewhat confused by yesterday's announcement. Apparently only the Governor General can activate the Reserves. There are several classes of Reserves and I'm not all that clear on this issues.

Actually, I stand somewhat corrected from a statement made in other posts. The military can be granted police authorities under Aid To The Civil Power part of the National Defence Act, but the conditions are very restrictive, and the existence of a pandemic isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Once again, staff managing pedestrian and cycling infrastructure fail this City.

Arguing the opposite of the facts; and suggesting every other city in the world has it wrong, in order to excuse their own laziness and ineptitude.

It's a classic Toronto response. No surprise there at all.

Back