News   Jun 25, 2024
 462     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 600     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

India advises states to curtail mass migration amid lockdown

India's effort to contain the coronavirus pandemic has gone into disarray after thousands of migrant workers started flouting lockdown rules to head to their homes, fearing starvation following the imposition of a complete lockdown.

Yeah that was a huge fail by the govt there as they first said they would allow migrants to return home and now they are sealing the border to travel between states. That caused huge confusion and millions decided to return home and the govt is freaking out thinking the virus will spread from the cities to rural areas where it would be especially lethal.

Based on what I can see certain states are handling it well, like my home state of Punjab.

India is a hard situation to manage really because they have to do a full lockdown, they have no choice but they are going to have to feed tens of millions of people daily as well.

If community transmission increases I can see the feds invoking the emergencies act to limit domestic travel. At that point it would be out of the control of the provinces.

Anyone can travel across Canada by automobile, private helicopter, motorcycle or canoe right now and the only way to close ensure people cannot do that is to close the inter-provincial borders and declare a national emergency.
I‘ve been itching to take a day long solo ride on the motorcycle. Only things stopping me are possible shaming about a needless excursion from the house and fear of a Covid19 exposed hospital visit should I come off.

Another confirmed case of COVID-19 at Oshawa grocery store where manager died after contracting virus

Chris Fox CTV News Toronto
Published Sunday, March 29, 2020 6:44AM EDT

A second employee at an Oshawa grocery store has tested positive for COVID-19, just days after a manager at the store died after contracting the virus.

Loblaws confirmed late Saturday night that a second employee at its Real Canadian Superstore location on Gibb Street had presumptively tested positive for the virus.

The company said that after becoming aware of the latest positive test it decided to close the store and bring in a third-party crew to “thouroughly clean and disinfect” the premises.

The store is expected to reopen by 10 a.m. this morning.

Any other UT gents stopped shaving during the lockdown? It’s been barely a week and I’m already past the scruffy look.

But I’m reading facial hair is bad during Coronavirus, but only if you get sick.

I let it go for a few days as per usual, but then I start looking that person you warn your kids about.

I‘ve been itching to take a day long solo ride on the motorcycle. Only things stopping me are possible shaming about a needless excursion from the house and fear of a Covid19 exposed hospital visit should I come off.

I've always fought the urge to get out early because of all the sand and crap on the roads (I'd rather ride late in the season) but when the weather warms up it's tough.

Strap a pack of TP on the back!

This rather odd action by UK police makes me wonder what local 'beauty spot' should be (temporarily) spoiled to keep people away!

The enforcement of social distancing sank to new depths when Derbyshire police arrived at a beauty spot known as the Blue Lagoon and poured in dye to turn it black.

Alerted by reports that visitors were gathering in bright sunshine at the quarry pool in Buxton, police decided it should become the murky, dye-streaked black lagoon for the lockdown’s duration. “This type of gathering is in contravention of the current instruction of the UK government,” a police statement warned. “We used water dye to make the water look less appealing.”

The crackdown was among a series of police-enforced measures testing a delicate balance between sensible precaution and what some saw as overzealousness.

From today's (London) Sunday Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...n-police-turn-the-blue-lagoon-black-xqx626zqc

Toronto mayor says residents have torn down tape at shuttered parks facilities

Chris Fox Web Content Writer, CP24

Mayor John Tory is pleading with residents to respect the closure of playgrounds, sports courts and other facilities within city parks amid reports that some people have torn down signage and ripped off tape that was put up to keep people away amid the global COVID-19 pandemic.

This rather odd action by UK police makes me wonder what local 'beauty spot' should be (temporarily) spoiled to keep people away!

The enforcement of social distancing sank to new depths when Derbyshire police arrived at a beauty spot known as the Blue Lagoon and poured in dye to turn it black.

Alerted by reports that visitors were gathering in bright sunshine at the quarry pool in Buxton, police decided it should become the murky, dye-streaked black lagoon for the lockdown’s duration. “This type of gathering is in contravention of the current instruction of the UK government,” a police statement warned. “We used water dye to make the water look less appealing.”

The crackdown was among a series of police-enforced measures testing a delicate balance between sensible precaution and what some saw as overzealousness.

From today's (London) Sunday Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...n-police-turn-the-blue-lagoon-black-xqx626zqc

I don't think I will say here what I think should happen to the officers in question..............it would be unkind. I revial such behavior!

Toronto mayor says residents have torn down tape at shuttered parks facilities

Chris Fox Web Content Writer, CP24

Mayor John Tory is pleading with residents to respect the closure of playgrounds, sports courts and other facilities within city parks amid reports that some people have torn down signage and ripped off tape that was put up to keep people away amid the global COVID-19 pandemic.

This is why I've spoken about the need to be circumspect in the curtailment of liberties. Selective, practical and enforceable.

We have seen the closing of relatively low-risk locations (tennis courts); and washrooms (which reduce risk if you use them to wash your hands); and the failure to open new public space (roads, golf courses).

People lose patience; and the City has insufficient resources to 'enforce' with 1,200 parks.

Once people begin to ignore the rules/laws; bad things ensue.

Coronavirus: India's PM Modi seeks 'forgiveness' over lockdown

India's prime minister has asked for his country's forgiveness after imposing a sweeping lockdown that he said had hurt millions of poor people.

Criticism has mounted over the lack of planning ahead of the coronavirus shutdown, which was introduced with less than four hours' notice.

Many of India's 1.3 billion citizens have been left jobless and hungry.

Tens of thousands of migrant labourers have been forced to walk hundreds of kilometres to their native villages.

In his weekly radio address PM Narendra Modi apologised for the impact of the strict stay-at-home measures.

The longer people ignore the rules and social distancing the longer they will have to live by such rules and the more strict they will become and our governments will have no option to become more authoritarian. It's obvious from Italy and Spain and America that this disease becomes very deadly if to many people at once get it at once.

I would say Canada is walking a fine line between managing this disease to going to a full lockdown soon. There are good signs though in Canada for now.

However, I have a question even if by May we limit the disease in Canada... we will pretty much to keep the borders sealed for a while?

Another confirmed case of COVID-19 at Oshawa grocery store where manager died after contracting virus

Chris Fox CTV News Toronto
Published Sunday, March 29, 2020 6:44AM EDT

A second employee at an Oshawa grocery store has tested positive for COVID-19, just days after a manager at the store died after contracting the virus.

Loblaws confirmed late Saturday night that a second employee at its Real Canadian Superstore location on Gibb Street had presumptively tested positive for the virus.

The company said that after becoming aware of the latest positive test it decided to close the store and bring in a third-party crew to “thouroughly clean and disinfect” the premises.

The store is expected to reopen by 10 a.m. this morning.

I wonder how many of these grocery staff were exposed to Quebecers and Ontarians returning with the RVs from US trips? This snowbird group was reportedly not quarantining upon entry.

I wonder how many of these grocery staff were exposed to Quebecers and Ontarians returning with the RVs from US trips? This snowbird group was reportedly not quarantining upon entry.
They were exposed to the store manager, who died, so it’s not surprising another staff member caught it. I don’t know if they determined how the manager got it.

Shouldn't the lottery games (IE. Lotto Max, Lotto 6/49, Poker Lotto, Daily Keno, Cash for Life, etc.) be suspended? The OLG Prize Centres are closed.

See link. People are still going to convenience stores, drug stores, for the lotteries. Even the on-line versions should be closed.

Back