News   Jul 16, 2024
 564     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 707     2 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Another cruise ship catastrophe :(

4 passengers die on stranded cruise ship carrying 247 Canadians

Sophia Harris · CBC News · Posted: Mar 27, 2020 1:48 PM ET

Many passengers on board have flu-like symptoms and 2 have tested positive for COVID-19

Four passengers have died on board a Holland America Line cruise ship currently sailing off the coast of Panama. Many other passengers on the ship have flu-like symptoms and two have tested positive for COVID-19.

A total of 247 Canadians are among the 1,243 passengers on the Zaandam, which is also carrying 586 crew members — one of whom is Canadian, according to Global Affairs Canada.

"Holland America Line can confirm that four older guests have passed away on Zaandam," the cruise line said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and we are doing everything we can to support them during this difficult time."

Now, these are the nitwits that need to be clamped down on................

1585351084174.png

Now, these are the nitwits that need to be clamped down on................

View attachment 238433

I had someone like that at my work. They refused to stay in their unit despite being asked to isolate after their trip.

They were going to Walmart and the grocery store. Their excuse was that they had no food or supplies after returning from their trip.

Eventually I got told to mind my own business when I asked them to stay in their condo to which I promptly told them that it was my business considering they may infect me with the virus via their idiocies.

I had someone like that at my work. They refused to stay in their unit despite being asked to isolate after their trip.

They were going to Walmart and the grocery store. Their excuse was that they had no food or supplies after returning from their trip.

Eventually I got told to mind my own business when I asked them to stay in their condo to which I promptly told them that it was my business considering they may infect me with the virus via their idiocies.

When I see people judging others for playing tennis, when not aware if the people playing actually live together, I get mad.

In this case, however, your information is 100% crystal clear that a person who is supposed to be self-isolating, is 100% not doing so.

In a building where there's a grocery store that can easily deliver product up stairs no less.

I would not judge you for choosing not to, given your job; but may I suggest you consider reporting them to public health? I certainly have no sympathy for them in any consequences that may follow.

Last edited:
When I see people judging others for playing tennis, when not aware if the people playing actually live together, I get mad.

In this case, however, your information is 100% crystal clear that a person who is supposed to be self-isolating, and is 100% not doing so.

In a building where there's a grocery store than easily deliver product up stairs no less.

I would not judge you for choosing not to, given your job; but may I suggest you consider reporting them to public health? I certainly have no sympathy for them in any consequences that may follow.

The consensus was that it was a voluntary self isolation at the time. Nothing could be done to enforce it.

Ontario intensive care units see jump in COVID-19 patients

Number of confirmed coronavirus patients in ICUs more than doubles in two days, a 'distressing' trend

Mike Crawley · CBC News · Posted: Mar 28, 2020 5:00 AM ET

The number of confirmed COVID-19 patients in intensive care units around Ontario has doubled in less than two days, prompting concern that the virus has actually been spreading more rapidly than previously thought.

There were 43 patients hospitalized in Ontario's ICUs on Friday, up from 29 on Thursday and 17 on Wednesday, according to figures from the province's associate chief medical officer of health, Dr. Barbara Yaffe.

That rapid jump in the number of patients in critical care is distressing, said Dr. David Fisman, a University of Toronto epidemiologist.

The data "suggests that the epidemic three weeks ago was likely much larger than we previously believed," said Fisman. "It also suggests that we may see a rapid surge in ICU occupancy, potentially leading to a situation like that in New York, if this growth continues."

The number of patients in intensive care is considered a crucial measure because ICUs have been the first part of the hospital systems to be overwhelmed in the COVID-19 outbreaks in Italy, Spain and New York. Evidence from the pandemic so far suggests it typically takes two to three weeks for someone to go from contracting the virus to showing symptoms to needing hospitalization.

People just don’t give a shit. Unless we keep track of people and bar them from going out, they’re going to go out. Half assed lockdowns are a waste of time. Never expect people to do the right thing. You have to force them.

People just don’t give a shit. Unless we keep track of people and bar them from going out, they’re going to go out. Half assed lockdowns are a waste of time. Never expect people to do the right thing. You have to force them.
In a'free and democratic society" there is really no easy way to ensure people 'do the right thing'. You cannot station security guards outside all their homes. Now that those returning to Canada are covered by the Quarantine Act their isolation is not voluntary and if they are reported they can (and will?) be punished.

Ontario intensive care units see jump in COVID-19 patients

Number of confirmed coronavirus patients in ICUs more than doubles in two days, a 'distressing' trend

Mike Crawley · CBC News · Posted: Mar 28, 2020 5:00 AM ET

The number of confirmed COVID-19 patients in intensive care units around Ontario has doubled in less than two days, prompting concern that the virus has actually been spreading more rapidly than previously thought.

There were 43 patients hospitalized in Ontario's ICUs on Friday, up from 29 on Thursday and 17 on Wednesday, according to figures from the province's associate chief medical officer of health, Dr. Barbara Yaffe.

That rapid jump in the number of patients in critical care is distressing, said Dr. David Fisman, a University of Toronto epidemiologist.

The data "suggests that the epidemic three weeks ago was likely much larger than we previously believed," said Fisman. "It also suggests that we may see a rapid surge in ICU occupancy, potentially leading to a situation like that in New York, if this growth continues."

The number of patients in intensive care is considered a crucial measure because ICUs have been the first part of the hospital systems to be overwhelmed in the COVID-19 outbreaks in Italy, Spain and New York. Evidence from the pandemic so far suggests it typically takes two to three weeks for someone to go from contracting the virus to showing symptoms to needing hospitalization.

This includes a limited breakdown of Covid-ICU usage which is line with what I've been reporting here.

For the moment, the most over-taxed area is York Region, with Southlake and Mackenzie Health both reporting figures that are among the highest in the province. Both are coping.

I spoke with a contact in another Toronto-based hospital group last night after she got off shift. She said her facility, a large west-end hospital is doing fine, in terms of patient load. Her only concern was that PPE rationing had just been implemented at her hospital, she was concerned that it might still be in effect on her next shift when things might be more concerning.

Clearly there is a disconnect between the MOH which says there's plenty of PPE and the various hospitals who seem to take a different view.

Also can report that 'casual' nurses, most commonly recent retirees are not volunteering to come in, in large numbers.

While thousands of nurses have volunteered. I know a unit chief who asked everyone on their casual list if they were available if things got bad, they got a 100% decline.

Somewhat understandable as the bulk of these would be senior citizens over age 60........but still moderately disconcerting.

Last edited:
Also can report that 'casual' nurses, mostly commonly recent retirees are not volunteering to come in, in large numbers.

While thousands of nurses have volunteered. I know a unit chief who asked everyone on their casual list if they were available if things got bad, they got a 100% decline.

Somewhat understandable as the bulk of these would be senior citizens over age 60........but still moderately disconcerting.

The same thing happened in the UK. Most of the retired doctors and nurses are in their 60s or 70s. Most said no and the ones that did offer to return only offered to work in call centers.

They are high risk themselves and while they would love to help they are potentially putting their own lives at risk by returning.

Unlike a 9/11 style situation infectious disease outbreaks are far more deadly. During 9/11 you were dealing with lacerations and other related injuries that didn't put doctors or nurses at risk. With Covid-19 it could potentially be a death sentence returning from retirement.

The same thing happened in the UK. Most of the retired doctors and nurses are in their 60s or 70s. Most said no and the ones that did offer to return only offered to work in call centers.

They are high risk themselves and while they would love to help they are potentially putting their own lives at risk by returning.

Unlike a 9/11 style situation infectious disease outbreaks are far more deadly. During 9/11 you were dealing with lacerations and other related injuries that didn't put doctors or nurses at risk. With Covid-19 it could potentially be a death sentence returning from retirement.
According to UK media the NHS has been overwhelmed by volunteers.

Coronavirus: NHS volunteers scheme nears 750k target

Boris Johnson hails the public's response and says the volunteers will be "absolutely crucial" in the fight against COVID-19
See: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nhs-volunteers-scheme-nears-750k-target-11963608

One landlord (apartments) seems to be handling this better than many.

Greenrock (this is the old Greenwin portfolio, I believe).

Amongst other measures:

Giving every tenant a $100 grocery gift card

Allowing tenants to use their last month's rent towards April's rent, no penalty or interest.

And installing hand sanitizer in every building lobby

Back