News   Jul 15, 2024
 155     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 394     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 540     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Meanwhile, Jason Kenney is blaming empty shelves of 100% Canadian beef on .... cross border issues?
I've got one better, Randy Hillier blaming also blaming empty shelves on cross border issues (and completely ignoring the sign saying shelves are empty because the meat coolers are broken). And yes, he ran to twitter so quickly to post it, he got the year wrong.

News report calling him out on it:

Every student in Canada should be wearing N95 masks at school. My boss and his family is sick with covid right now, the kids brought covid home from school.

Biden-Harris administration is making high-quality masks available to the American people for free.

Meanwhile, Jason Kenney is blaming empty shelves of 100% Canadian beef on .... cross border issues?

I have been to a lot of grocery stores lately, i haven't noticed that many empty shelves, if they are empty, its because the store a good sale on. Which happened in non Covid times.

I think empty shelves are caused more by absenteeism by grocery workers and their suppliers due to illness or requirement to isolate. I've heard of 10-20% absenteeism.

After almost two years of pandemic measures, including lockdowns, masking, the near universal vaccination of adults, and the requirement to carry digital passports to enjoy basic freedoms like going to a restaurant (even that freedom is currently suspended for the vaccinated), it’s reasonable for people to question the value of restrictions and mandates.

The front line workers dutifully mask up each day and work under strained conditions. Children and adults have lost their sense of community and their range of healthy outlets, from sports to performing in plays to having get-togethers with friends and family. Yes we’ve had a big surge of Omicron cases, but the impacts are mostly flu-like, certainly on the vaccinated. A third of my organization got Covid over the holidays and all recovered, including those with underlying health problems. Our ICU’s are still under 80% capacity. Covid isn’t going away, but our rights and freedoms have been compromised for so long in this battle against one disease, that I do believe we’ve lost all perspective

What about all the non-Covid impacts? We’ll be dealing with the education gaps and fallout to mental health for years. People have the means to protect themselves. In a democracy we have to believe that most people can make informed decisions without being told how to live.

Britain, Ireland, and many US states are moving on. They’ve decided to restore their freedoms, accept that Covid isn’t going anywhere, and manage serious Covid cases through treatments. It probably means boosting our hospital capacity, which we can do.

Our screening and testing is making asymptomatic people and their household members stay home, causing needless staff shortages. We need to start treating Covid like other illnesses. Treat serious cases. If you’re sick, stay home as you would for any sickness. If we can’t pivot our approach, we will indeed be stuck in pandemic conditions indefinitely. At this point it’s a political decision. Other countries and jurisdictions are making that decision.

After almost two years of pandemic measures, including lockdowns, masking, the near universal vaccination of adults, and the requirement to carry digital passports to enjoy basic freedoms like going to a restaurant (even that freedom is currently suspended for the vaccinated), it’s reasonable for people to question the value of restrictions and mandates.

The front line workers dutifully mask up each day and work under strained conditions. Children and adults have lost their sense of community and their range of healthy outlets, from sports to performing in plays to having get-togethers with friends and family. Yes we’ve had a big surge of Omicron cases, but the impacts are mostly flu-like, certainly on the vaccinated. A third of my organization got Covid over the holidays and all recovered, including those with underlying health problems. Our ICU’s are still under 80% capacity. Covid isn’t going away, but our rights and freedoms have been compromised for so long in this battle against one disease, that I do believe we’ve lost all perspective

What about all the non-Covid impacts? We’ll be dealing with the education gaps and fallout to mental health for years. People have the means to protect themselves. In a democracy we have to believe that most people can make informed decisions without being told how to live.

Britain, Ireland, and many US states are moving on. They’ve decided to restore their freedoms, accept that Covid isn’t going anywhere, and manage serious Covid cases through treatments. It probably means boosting our hospital capacity, which we can do.

Our screening and testing is making asymptomatic people and their household members stay home, causing needless staff shortages. We need to start treating Covid like other illnesses. Treat serious cases. If you’re sick, stay home as you would for any sickness. If we can’t pivot our approach, we will indeed be stuck in pandemic conditions indefinitely. At this point it’s a political decision. Other countries and jurisdictions are making that decision.
Don't underestimate how furious rational people feel when they read something like this.

Please cite the freedoms listed in the Charter that have been taken away.

Staying home when you are sick, which is what we should do, is causing staff shortages. Not screening and testing. The sheer numbers of cases and people who have been sick over the past weeks has led to a number of issues, which is why we shouldn’t just throw our hands up and say “we have to live with it”. Living with it can include managing it so that businesses and services aren’t short staffed due to so many people being off sick, and so our health care systems and workers aren’t slammed by so many people being ill.

We have had some inconveniences over the past couple of years and have had to adjust to some changes, but we haven’t had our freedoms taken away. Last time I checked, sitting in a restaurant was neither a necessity nor a Charter right.

Back