News   May 15, 2024
 21     0 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   May 14, 2024
 1.5K     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

My friend is really, really sick with COVID right now, she has been fully vaccinated since July, and only 34 years old in perfect health. If she wasn't vaccinated, no doubt she would be hospitalized right now in the ICU.

My friend is really, really sick with COVID right now, she has been fully vaccinated since July, and only 34 years old in perfect health. If she wasn't vaccinated, no doubt she would be hospitalized right now in the ICU.

The new variant is hard on the young. I had c*v*d in Nov, high fever and congestion (bp & fever monitoring), saw it thru at home but it was hard. Fingers crossed for your friend. People do get thru it.

The new variant is hard on the young. I had c*v*d in Nov, high fever and congestion (bp & fever monitoring), saw it thru at home but it was hard. Fingers crossed for your friend. People do get thru it.

She is feeling better, and she also did the right thing, she wasn't feeling well last week, so instead of going into work, she went and got tested for Covid. As soon as she got her test results, she notified her boss. All her co-workers got tested and everyone was thankfully negative.

I got tested too back in August. I wasn't feeling great and had a cough, it was just a mild cold and not Covid. But i didn't want to take any chances. I live with a high risk person.

Vaccines work!

I don't want to diminish the seriousness of Covid in the least............but I want to take note of what I thought was one of the most genuinely offensive, misleading headlines I've seen concerning it.
From the New York Times, no less, reporting the U.S. death toll at over 700,000, and suggesting it was now the deadliest pandemic in U.S. history.

While, strictly speaking, that's true (taking all reporting both from 1918, and today at face value)...........

There's a huge, glaring problem.......

The Spanish Flu, which was reported to have killed 625,000 in the U.S..............took place in a nation of 103,000,000 people.
Whereas Covid, has taken place in a nation of 330,000,000 people. Therefore, the relative impact of the Spanish Flu was much higher.

Put another way, if Covid were as deadly as the Spanish Flu, there would over 2,000,000 dead Americans, instead of 700,000.

The problem here, so far as I'm concerned, beyond the obvious, is that what would seem to be an attempt to exaggerate the impact of Covid (which hardly requires that) will serve
to diminish the threat in the eyes of many, and to further distrust in media.

There is no need to exaggerate the impact of a very serious event, reality is sufficient.

Last edited:
I don't want to diminish the seriousness of Covid in the least............but I want to take note of what I thought was one of the most genuinely offensive, misleading headlines I've seen concerning it.
From the New York Times, no less, reporting the U.S. death toll at over 700,000, and suggesting it was now the deadliest pandemic in U.S. history.

While, strictly speaking, that's true (taking all reporting both from 1918, and today at face value)...........

The Spanish Flu, which was reported to have killed 625,000 in the U.S..............took place in a nation of 103,000,000 people.
Whereas Covid, has taken place in a nation of 330,000,000 people. Therefore, the relative impact of the Spanish Flu was much higher.

Put another way, if Covid were as deadly as the Spanish Flu, there would over 2,000,000 dead Americans, instead of 700,000.

The problem here, so far as I'm concerned, beyond the obvious, is that what would seem to be an attempt to exaggerate the impact of Covid (which hardly requires that) will serve

There is no need to exaggerate the impact of a very serious event, reality is sufficient.

1918 Flu deaths are generally calculated with excess death numbers, presumed cases, etc., where we are currently—almost entirely—counting *only* lab-confirmed cases. When all is said and done, excess deaths in the US will no doubt raise that number dramatically.

Frankly though, due to time and progress, they're really not all that easily comparable.

This cohort study found that the absolute increase in deaths over baseline (ie, excess mortality) observed during the peak of 1918 H1N1 influenza pandemic was higher than but comparable to that observed during the first 2 months of the COVID-19 outbreak in New York City.

However, because baseline mortality rates from 2017 to 2019 were less than half that observed from 1914 to 1917 (owing to improvements in hygiene and modern achievements in medicine, public health, and safety), the relative increase during early COVID-19 period was substantially greater than during the peak of the 1918 H1N1 influenza pandemic.

Travel in the middle ages was barely non-existent, which allowed the black death to spread slowly. Travel in the 1918's was short, but ships and trains allowed the Spanish Flu to spread. Today's travel allows for a quicker spread, spreading in weeks.

Travel in the middle ages was barely non-existent, which allowed the black death to spread slowly.
That is not entirely true. Trade routes were actively traversed throughout the middle ages across the Old World, especially in south and east Asia.

Frankly though, due to time and progress, they're really not all that easily comparable.
The 1918 Influenza also had a much higher mortality rate for younger age demographics, which had substantially more severe impact on society and the economy. It renders the whole exercise of comparing death toll of the viruses a comparison of apples and oranges.

Are there legal repercussions for this? Inciting violence? Threatening fellow MPPs? Or at the very least, he should be sanctioned by Twitter

Are there legal repercussions for this? Inciting violence? Threatening fellow MPPs? Or at the very least, he should be sanctioned by Twitter
I couldn't find the "tar and feather" tweet, meaning he's pulled it or it's been reported. But I think he's probably had so many strikes now that if it wasn't pulled his account would be suspended.

Back