1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 728     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Coronavirus latest: Moderna vaccine set for US approval this week

From link.

The coronavirus vaccine candidate made by Moderna is highly protective for adults and prevents severe cases of COVID-19, according to data released by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The FDA review confirms the U.S. drugmaker's earlier assessment that its candidate had an efficacy rate of 94.1% in a trial of 30,000 people.

Based on the encouraging findings, the vaccine likely will receive emergency authorization for use on Friday. That would give millions of Americans access to a second coronavirus vaccine beginning as early as next week.

Ontario is reporting a record 2,275 new cases Tues. The 7-day avg. is up to a new high of 1,927 cases daily, or 93 weekly per 100,000. Labs report 39,566 completed tests & 5.3% positivity. 20 new deaths reported; active hospitalizations at 921.

https://data.ontario.ca/dataset/status-of-covid-19-cases-in-ontario

Lockdown is working well. :rolleyes:

Lime Ridge Mall, in Hamilton is extending hours for the crowds of shoppers from the lockdown zones.

https://www.blogto.com/fashion_styl...l-extends-hours-shoppers-york-region-toronto/

Lockdown is working well. :rolleyes:

Lime Ridge Mall, in Hamilton is extending hours for the crowds of shoppers from the lockdown zones.

https://www.blogto.com/fashion_styl...l-extends-hours-shoppers-york-region-toronto/

A couple of thoughts.

First, I don't think there's any evidence that the Lockdown has been at all helpful in controlling numbers.

But what it does do is cause people to move between areas to shop; and it causes increased crowding at those businesses still open.

That is not an argument against considering lockdowns, its an argument against poorly planned and ineffective ones.

Second, on Limeridge; I fully expect the mall as one of the few in the GTA still legally open, and permitted to set its down hours; would not face problems with crowding.

I not only take no issue w/their expanding hours, I support it, even though I have no intention of driving to Hamilton to shop at an overcrowded B-Class Mall.

My take is that unless you expect them to close; it makes far more sense to spread the shoppers around a larger set of hours, allowing reduced crowding in the mall and less hassles and disputes around parking.

Reduction in hours don't reduce the volume of shoppers.

The options are closure, or, in theory, maximized hours, 24-hour shopping would reduce risk, rather than increase it; its a math question.

I haven't been to Limeridge, but I have been reading that it has been quite busy. Hamilton's numbers have been inching towards grey zone territory so this may all be moot in a few days anyway.

As for whether the lockdown is or isn't working, it's impossible to know for sure because if restaurants/bars/malls/gyms remained open, would numbers have been higher than they have been the past two weeks? And despite calling it lockdown, it is nowhere near what we experienced earlier this year. Christmas shopping is in full swing with just a few minor inconveniences.

Also, regional lockdowns in select areas of the GTHA were never a great idea. Of course people just go to the next zone over.

The government continues to say that schools aren't responsible for spread, but we are seeing school closures, and we continue to see high numbers of "origin unknown".

There were reports out of the US recently that big box stores were culprits for spread, yet ours remain open and small businesses who had been excellent about controlling numbers inside at any one time and in enforcing other protocols are closed.

Toronto Premium Outlets (in Halton Hills), Oakville Place, Burlington Centre, Mapleview Centre (in Burlington), Pickering Town Centre, and Oshawa Centre are the closest regional malls to Toronto that have the majority of their stores open.

I drove past Mapleview Centre last week. The parking lot was crazy busy, Fairview St/ Maple Ave the traffic was ridiculous. Can't imagine what it will be like this week, with York shutdown.

It'll probably turn out okay but I'm actually concerned about our government's emphasis on making the vaccine voluntary and the slow vaccine roll-out especially globally. It's the only cultural status quo option so I understand; However, worse pathogens than covid-19 may arise in the future and making vaccination voluntary is like playing footsy with it. It's an arrogant approach.

Naturally pandemic pathogens rage through a population. The rate of infection in the population is a factor in burning out the pandemic as is the co-evolution of the virus and the host population. We're messing with this process which of course we must do on compassionate grounds. There are real and amazing intended consequences of this intervention; however, there could also be unintended consequences. The universe cares nothing about our notions of compassion. Because we live in a global civilization now there will be pockets of poor decision-making anyways so the best decision-making in one country will be compromised by the weakest chain-in-the-link. There's a reason though that your doctor tells you to take all of your antibiotic when you're sick. Taking a wishy-washy amount of antibiotic is playing with fire especially within a large population.

Theoretically, (and impossibly) wouldn't a smarter strategy be to give no one a vaccine now and instead build-up a massive global supply chain (we're spending trillions anyway) and mass-inoculate the world in a shorter 6-month period. That's how you kick Covid-19's ass?

Yesterday, I went through the Manulife Centre inside from the residential building to the front doors at 7 am, when everything was still closed, and I walked by 2 maskless people. I gave them a wide berth. And at the Independent City Market, the access controls that were there last spring are gone and people are often lining up with no distancing even though it is supposed to be limited to 50% capacity. Lockdown or not, people are idiots. Instacart delivery people are making a lot of money from me.

COVIDIOTS ...

why can IKEA have 800 people vs 10 people in your home ... ?!?

because IKEA is 428,500-square-foot with 12+ feet ceilings and commercial/industrial ventilation requirements.

800 people ( + 440 employees ) in 428,500 square-foot equals to 345+ square-feet/person.
mind you some of that space is occupied by furniture, but there's still ample area.

10 people in his small apartment is generous, given i doubt it's 3,500+ square-feet

That may be, but I do have issues with people bringing their whole family into Ikea and treating it like a night out. Kids running around touching everything, not enough room to keep a safe distance. etc.

Covid has finally, or inevitably touched my family. My 77 y/o uncle in law died today from Covid. Went into East General Hospital to have a gall stone removed. Tested negative two weeks, one week and day of the procedure. Went home afterward feeling good, three days later can’t breathe, returns to East General, now tested positive, next day on ventilator, two weeks later, dead. He’s not the last to be killed off by a seemingly hospital-borne infection.

Back