1.3K     0 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Aug 23, 2024
 570     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

11 wedding attendees in York Region test positive for COVID-19

Sept 5, 2020

York Region Public Health has received laboratory confirmation 11 individuals attending a series of wedding events in the City of Markham, Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville and City of Toronto between Aug. 28 and Aug. 29, 2020, have tested positive for COVID-19.

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 attend wedding celebrations at the following locations:

Friday, Aug. 28 – Private residence in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
Friday, Aug. 28 – Rexdale Singh Sabha Religious Centre at 47 Baywood Road in the City of Toronto
Friday, Aug. 28 – Lakshmi Narayamandir Temple at 1 Morningview Trail in the City of Toronto
Saturday, Aug. 29 – Private residence in the City of Markham

I know they ignore social distancing, size limits and masks.

There was a wedding of like 200 people there a few weeks ago. Saw on IG

Weddings and religious services are super-spreader events. From a human perspective I understand their spiritual importance; however, if we were being ruthlessly efficient in our pandemic and economic management both should be curtailed. They lead to outbreaks and have small economic footprints.

Religious services can be done online while visits to places of worship can be managed as appointment only.

You don’t need a wedding to get married and even if you do a service need not include max more than 9 people: Bride, groom, 2 witnesses, person marrying you, parents of both bride and groom. If you want to celebrate fine but what’s so bad about having a blowout bash on year 2 of your marriage instead of year 0?

11 wedding attendees in York Region test positive for COVID-19

Sept 5, 2020

York Region Public Health has received laboratory confirmation 11 individuals attending a series of wedding events in the City of Markham, Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville and City of Toronto between Aug. 28 and Aug. 29, 2020, have tested positive for COVID-19.

Confirmed cases of COVID-19 attend wedding celebrations at the following locations:

Friday, Aug. 28 – Private residence in the Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville
Friday, Aug. 28 – Rexdale Singh Sabha Religious Centre at 47 Baywood Road in the City of Toronto
Friday, Aug. 28 – Lakshmi Narayamandir Temple at 1 Morningview Trail in the City of Toronto
Saturday, Aug. 29 – Private residence in the City of Markham

Who the hell is booking or attending a wedding during the pandemic? I’d be sending my regrets and a toaster.
bad about having a blowout bash on year 2 of your marriage instead of year 0?
The odds of lasting to year 2 were never great. Now that Covid is causing stress, I’d want to keep the receipt for the toaster.

divorce_rate_canada.jpg

Last edited:
Weddings and religious services are super-spreader events. From a human perspective I understand their spiritual importance; however, if we were being ruthlessly efficient in our pandemic and economic management both should be curtailed. They lead to outbreaks and have small economic footprints.

Religious services can be done online while visits to places of worship can be managed as appointment only.

You don’t need a wedding to get married and even if you do a service need not include max more than 9 people: Bride, groom, 2 witnesses, person marrying you, parents of both bride and groom. If you want to celebrate fine but what’s so bad about having a blowout bash on year 2 of your marriage instead of year 0?

It depends the local temple I go to has the following:

- Everyone enters wears a mask
- They have 2-3 elders on duty walking around ensuring rules are followed.
- The main hall you can sit for a max of 15 mins and you must 6 feet apart even if the same family unless kids.
- No offerings are given, and food is only given in a take out container.

About weddings, well I know well my wedding was cancelled this year and I am still very bitter about it.

The issue is a lot of people are going into the "i am not wasting more of my life, i want what i want, i dont care about some disease that hardly kills anyone"

Past month i seen people in huge parties and gatherings and i am stuck home bored out of my mind and I am like trying hard not to go "screw covid 19" as well.

People i find dont care about the disease anymore as before.

Last edited:
Churches have more than one weekly program. For example, both St Michael's and St James downtown offer daily services. They also have a number of non-ceremonial groups and gatherings.

I know a number. Four deaths, one very ill for over a month, one with 9 days of fever and hallucinations, the rest sick for a few days

I know some too. My neighbor back in April lost her 56 year old husband to Covid. He made a fatal mistake. She urged him to go to the hospital on Good Friday, he said he would "tough it out" during the long weekend and see a doctor on Tuesday if he was no better. He died on Eater Sunday. He had three kids under 20.

My great aunt is 88 in a nursing home in Quebec, she is in poor health, got Covid, and somehow made 100% recovery! and yet a good friend of mine who is in perfect health in his mid 30s, had a 7 week battle with Covid back in March and still has problems, leg pains and loss of taste. Doctors say he may never get his taste back..

My parents spent a lot of time in Florida over the years, they got a lot of friends down there, they have told me some real horror stories. One lady they are friends with has lost her husband and son to Covid in a three week period.

Last edited:
On the topic of churches:

Toronto-based church members 'contagious with COVID-19' attended two events

Miracle Arena for All Nations met in North York, Woodbridge

One church’s Sunday service in North York and a groundbreaking for its new Woodbridge location spread the novel coronavirus to at least 15 people, local health authorities say.

Both events by the Miracle Arena for All Nations happened the same day, August 16, and included “several attendees who were contagious with COVID-19,” Toronto Public Health and York Region Public Health said Friday, Sept. 4, in a joint release.

Toronto and York Region health officials say they’ve reached all known close contacts of cases traced back to the events at its “headquarters location,” 20 Milvan Dr. in North York, and at 10800 Weston Rd. in Vaughan, but more people may be infected.

Other attendees are being advised to monitor themselves for COVID-19 symptoms until Friday, Sept. 18.

My great aunt is 88 in a nursing home in Quebec, she is in poor health, got Covid, and somehow made 100% recovery! and yet a good friend of mine who is in perfect health in his mid 30s, had a 7 week battle with Covid back in March and still has problems, leg pains and loss of taste. Doctors say he may never get his taste back..
It’s very interesting to see the range of cases. My cousin’s 92 year old grandmother In Portugal contracted covid, isolated, and recovered. My coworker’s partner, who’s in his 40s and prediabetic, spent a week in the ICU and eventually recovered, but still has some after effects like fatigue.

I live right down the street from the Canada Kanthaswamy Temple on Birchmount Road along with the Sunnatul Jammat Mosque. I can safely say they have both been very respectful to the community. Normally they are both packed to the brim with people but during covid they have been largely vacant.

Usually the Kanthaswamy temple has cars filling two overflow lots, their parking lot while still having people in droves walking down up and down birchmount waiting for the bus. This year it has been freakishly quite. While there are some bad apples, most temples and mosques are quite good at infection control.

I live right down the street from the Canada Kanthaswamy Temple on Birchmount Road along with the Sunnatul Jammat Mosque. I can safely say they have both been very respectful to the community. Normally they are both packed to the brim with people but during covid they have been largely vacant.

Usually the Kanthaswamy temple has cars filling two overflow lots, their parking lot while still having people in droves walking down up and down birchmount waiting for the bus. This year it has been freakishly quite. While there are some bad apples, most temples and mosques are quite good at infection control.

The places of worship who went with on-line webcams seem to be better off. They also have a way to do on-line donations.

It depends the local temple I go to has the following:

- Everyone enters wears a mask
- They have 2-3 elders on duty walking around ensuring rules are followed.
- The main hall you can sit for a max of 15 mins and you must 6 feet apart even if the same family unless kids.
- No offerings are given, and food is only given in a take out container.

About weddings, well I know well my wedding was cancelled this year and I am still very bitter about it.

The issue is a lot of people are going into the "i am not wasting more of my life, i want what i want, i dont care about some disease that hardly kills anyone"

Past month i seen people in huge parties and gatherings and i am stuck home bored out of my mind and I am like trying hard not to go "screw covid 19" as well.

People i find dont care about the disease anymore as before.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks after school settles in.

Perhaps wait a couple of weeks after school settles in.

I think a lot of people are desensitized...

until we reach a situation where we ration out who dies or lives, that is the only time people will pay attention again locally.

Personally I think even with a lax of people are with rules, i doubt that will happen in Canada as the govt will likely step in.

Sorry that your wedding plans got disruption Jasmine. That’s a big blow assuming you’re a younger adult. I like most young people spent a lot of time looking for permission to get to the next step in life. Really, though there’s nothing stopping you from getting married, going on a cross country adventure honeymoon and getting on with your life however you choose. Plan a big bash in late 2021.

For the record I sometimes refer to my wife on this forum for simplicity but really we never got married. 10 years and two beautiful daughters later we still sometimes muse about the idea. Maybe when they’re older they can plan our wedding! It’s not for everyone but having kids is on of the biggest stress-tests for a relationship. We often joke that no one should get married until after having kids, otherwise you would have no idea if your relationship could handle it ;)

Back