260     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 544     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Cuba joins the race for vaccine against the coronavirus

Aug 19, 2020

"Cuba produces almost 80% of the vaccines used within the national immunization program — there's the Finlay Institute plus a big technology and innovation sector we can fall back on," Jose Moya, the director for Cuba of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), told DW in a statement.

At CIGB, a center for molecular immunology and genetic engineering and biotechnology, Cuban scientists are currently working on four potential vaccines, with testing already in an advanced phase, state media report.

According to the director of biomedical research at CIGB, Gerardo Guillen, Cuban research is focused "on developing vaccines using virus-resembling particles that are potentially able to activate and strengthen people's immune system." Such vaccines, which are usually administered after infection, are known as therapeutic vaccines.

-------
In contrast to many other developing nations, Cuba has a strong biotech sector and laboratories of its own. The experience that the nation has accumulated over the years in developing vaccines now comes in handy in research on SARS-CoV-2. And it makes the country interesting for cross-border cooperation. Guillen has pointed to joint research projects with the EU and China.

Media reports suggest that Cuba is among the group of nations that would be capable of jointly producing the coronavirus vaccine developed by Russian scientists, named Sputnik V. The announcement of the vaccine last week made a splash worldwide but has also drawn criticism as crucial phase III clinical testing was skipped. Cuba is not expected to risk the same, known as it is for strictly adhering to WHO regulations.

"Cuba has excellent abilities to produce vaccines," says the director of the state-owned Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF), Kirill Dmitriev. "We believe that Cuba can become one of the world's most important centers for the production of vaccines," he told DW.

According to Dmitriev, production of the Russian vaccine could start in Cuba as early as November, provided cooperation with the government and the companies involved will advance according to plan. The details of the deal have yet to be hammered out.

Cuban epidemiologist Duran warns that despite the announcement of the Russian vaccine and the progress made so far in research on SARS-CoV-2, an efficient vaccine will not be available in huge quantities anytime soon. "Let's remain realistic," he says, and adds: "For the time being," he added, "the only effective protection against the virus is to wear a mask and observe hygiene and distancing rules."

The large, though US-based, financial institution I work for has formally notified staff that the work from home protocols will likely continue well into 2021. I imagine a lot of PATH businesses that haven't kicked the bucket yet are about to do so. I got my haircut down there last Friday and I was the only customer in the shop at 8:30 a.m. a long with the woman who cuts my hair and the receptionist. Pre-COVID there would be eight to ten staff there covering at least six to eight people getting their hair done at that time. She noted their business is still down by about 70% and suspects the owner will pull the plug on the shop soon.

Essentially, financial district retail space is about 300% over capacity right now and through the end of this year.

My office is outside of the PATH system, at Dundas & University. We've had WFH initiatives since mid-March and have recently just started up a very rigorous return to office policy for those who want to do so. We occupy 2 floors, and the new rules indicate no more than 3 employees can be working on each floor during a business day. You also have to complete documentation and consent ahead of time if you wish to work at the office and reserve your spot on that day. Usage of the lunch room is supposedly also not allowed.

Honestly for me it's too much fuss and I'll just stick with WFH for the foreseeable future. It's unfortunate but the businesses that cater to office workers and also post-secondary students downtown are going to get hit hard. In the area near my office that includes all the eateries along Dundas between Bay and University.

Quick peak at the Covid numbers.

New case growth is moderate at 0.19%; though with a small asterisk in that 11 Public Health Units didn't report, apparently due to a software glitch. (not sure why they couldn't phone in their numbers, but I digress)

However, the only unit I see on that list that has a had a material number of cases as of late is Windsor-Essex; so its probably close to accurate.

In respect of Hospitalizations, the news is good.

Down to 35 Covid patients province-wide, 15 in ICU and 8 on ventilators.

France: Virus cases spike to 4,700 in a day

Aug 20, 2020

France has reported a sharp rise in the number of coronavirus cases - 4,771 - up a thousand on Wednesday's figure.

It is the first time more than 4,000 daily cases have been seen since May.

Meanwhile Spain, Germany and Italy have also recorded their highest numbers of cases since late April or May.

Many of the new Spanish cases are reportedly among the young, while German cases are said to be driven by a lack of social distancing and travellers returning from abroad.

The UK - which has Europe's highest coronavirus death toll - registered a further 1,182 cases on Thursday.

Dimbulb from Kentucky broke our quarantine rules once.............got a $1,200 ticket.

Did it again the very next day...............now facing a max fine of $750,000 and up to six months in jail.

Dimbulb from Kentucky broke our quarantine rules once.............got a $1,200 ticket.

Did it again the very next day...............now facing a max fine of $750,000 and up to six months in jail.

Kentucky Man's going to have a really fun and really expensive vacation to Banff, complete with the same kinds of accommodations those who challenge the Mounties stay in for up to six months.

More postponed baseball games due to the New York Mets having personnel having COVID-19:

Earlier, the Cincinnati Reds had personnel testing positive and had to postpone a few games.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/national/world/2020/8/21/1_5073458.html

Some examples of the German experience opening up schools.

As I mentioned I believe Germany to be a good peer group example for Canada to play close attention to.

Note also the paragraph where Angela Merkel expresses the same concern I have that decentralization is making things worse. Pandemic response guidelines should be developed and communicated at the National level with clear open lines of communication rapidly looping back data and innovations from the local and Provincial experience on the front line.

Back