News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I saw the headline that Toronto public health will only be reporting case numbers on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday moving forward. What does this mean? They will only be reporting directly to the public on these days or Ontario case numbers will only reflect Toronto numbers three times a week?

To my understanding all numbers will be submitted daily to Ontario Public Health.

They're simply cutting back the pressers and press releases at the local level.

But those numbers are available through the province if you look at the details of those releases.

I was briefly on a 501 TTC streetcar on Queen east from Yonge heading eastbound. It was a nearly full seated load with a few people choosing to stand, 80 total passengers is my guess. Some passengers were in groups obviously heading to The Beaches. Approximately 75% were wearing masks, or about 15-20 people not wearing masks. A few not wearing masks were obviously homeless and/or shelter residents who got off at Sherbourne, but there were still several more who chose not to wear them at all, and there were two people who had masks but had had moved them down under their chin to talk on the phone.

It will be interesting to see if masks become like fare evasion, where enforcement is so sporadic that an initially small, but then steadily growing block of riders simply doesn't bother.

I was briefly on a 501 TTC streetcar on Queen east from Yonge heading eastbound. It was a nearly full seated load with a few people choosing to stand, 80 total passengers is my guess. Some passengers were in groups obviously heading to The Beaches. Approximately 75% were wearing masks, or about 15-20 people not wearing masks. A few not wearing masks were obviously homeless and/or shelter residents who got off at Sherbourne, but there were still several more who chose not to wear them at all, and there were two people who had masks but had had moved them down under their chin to talk on the phone.

It will be interesting to see if masks become like fare evasion, where enforcement is so sporadic that an initially small, but then steadily growing block of riders simply doesn't bother.

Unlike paying fares, I suspect the pressure to conform will be stronger - and refusing to wear them and telling people off will come with the risk of getting on the evening news (say nothing of Twitter).

AoD

Anti-maskers treating this as a reason to be racist d-bags:

Yep, I have noticed the anti-mask people are also part of the "all lives matter" crowd.

Yep, I have noticed the anti-mask people are also part of the "all lives matter" crowd.

I am actually perturbed by the amount of people not wearing them. I get on the TTC and hardly anyone is wearing one and those that are are wearing them for show. By this I mean they have it around their neck to cover their mouth when someone in authority asks them to.

People couldn't care less about wearing them and honestly I find it annoying. The toothless nature of the mask rule is a joke, they need to ban anyone not wearing one from accessing buildings and transit. People may call me alarmist but I am just being practical.

Far too many people are claiming they are asthmatic when they are not or giving some other BS excuse as to why they cannot wear a mask and are permitted not to wear one.

It's rather upsetting that our society is so full of snowflakes that it is easier to just let things slide than it is to enforce the rules and risk a public outcry. We cannot even protect the health and safety of citizens because someone might claim discrimination or undue hardship and it is unfortunate.

I am actually perturbed by the amount of people not wearing them. I get on the TTC and hardly anyone is wearing one and those that are are wearing them for show. By this I mean they have it around their neck to cover their mouth when someone in authority asks them to.

People couldn't care less about wearing them and honestly I find it annoying. The toothless nature of the mask rule is a joke, they need to ban anyone not wearing one from accessing buildings and transit. People may call me alarmist but I am just being practical.

Far too many people are claiming they are asthmatic when they are not or giving some other BS excuse as to why they cannot wear a mask and are permitted not to wear one.

It's rather upsetting that our society is so full of snowflakes that it is easier to just let things slide than it is to enforce the rules and risk a public outcry. We cannot even protect the health and safety of citizens because someone might claim discrimination or undue hardship and it is unfortunate.

Yes i have noticed that. Yesterday on the bus 5 out of 12 people were wearing masks. I know it's hot out, but we aren't out of woods yet. I call BS on the asthmatic people, I'm asthmatic and suffer from eustachian tube dysfunction, my nose and ears clog up all the time. I still wear a mask, it's uncomfortable, but i can deal with it for the 10 to 20 minutes i'm in a store or on the bus.

A friend mine in the UK took the Tube to work in April, didn't wear a mask. and ended up getting a bad case of Covid, that he battled for about six weeks, he's a healthy active 34 year old. That scared me, so i was wearing a mask months before the mask mandate.

Wearing a mask is not about protecting yourself; it's about protecting others from you. Refusing on the basis of my own health is mine to risk is pretty much an anti-social FU to others at this point. There should be a special, non--ventilated car for these folks.

Speaking of non-compliance with mask-wearing directives:

Like I said, anti-social FU with a heavy dose of performativity. I broke my finger, when to the ER, refused to wear a mask when asked to by medical professionals but look, I am going to record it all, dump it on Twitter and get ratioed! Another chair-girl.

AoD

Last edited:
Yes i have noticed that. Yesterday on the bus 5 out of 12 people were wearing masks.

Hmmm, I wonder how this varies by time of day and area of the City?

As I work from home, for the most part, and drive, I've been taking transit considerably less than usual the last while.

For the first time, in more than 2 weeks I took transit today.

I was thinking about the compliance rate and tracked it on my subway car.

22/27 were wearing masks on my trip west for an 81.5% compliance rate. (obviously this will have varied slightly station to station)

I sampled again going back east later in the day, and got a similar number 25/31 or 80.6%

I found the number pretty similar on the one bus trip down 18/21(85.7%); better in my section (couldn't see the whole unit) on the LRT where I saw only one maskless person in 14.(92.9%)

While a later bus trip saw 15/18 (83.3%) wearing masks, though one who wasn't thought it was cool to chat away on her phone mask-free.............she was ......admonished.

In a really immaterial aside..............one guy I saw on transit today had something going on I've never seen before...........

Not one.........not two.........not 3............but 4 birds, not caged, 1 on each shoulder and one on each forearm, chirping away.

Ok, then.

Back