News   May 16, 2024
 146     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   May 15, 2024
 1.7K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

How did it get to Iran and in such numbers? I understand that China is one of the few nations on friendly terms with Iran and likely has more travel than most to Iran, and then there's the pilgrimages to muslim sites, but still, reports are that thousands have the virus in Iran.

Law of exponential growth? You only need one case to start a chain of infections locally.

Public health officials confirm this latest COVID-19 diagnosis is Ontario's first instance of local human-to-human spread of the virus.

The husband of a Toronto woman who was diagnosed with COVID-19 on Tuesday night has also tested positive, representing Ontario's first confirmed instance of local human-to-human transmission of the virus.

On Wednesday, public health officials said a Toronto woman in her 60s who returned from Iran on Feb. 15 tested positive for the novel coronavirus, prompting public health officials to put her husband and her son into home self-isolation and embark on a mission to reach out to anyone she had come into contact with over a nine-day span.

https://www.cp24.com/news/toronto-h...id-19-case-tests-positive-for-virus-1.4829825

No surprise to this one given the amount of exposure the husband would have received in close quarters.

AoD

Last edited:
California is monitoring at least 8,400 people for the coronavirus

Published Thu, Feb 27 20201:54 PM EST

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that 33 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and the state is currently monitoring at least 8,400 others —a day after U.S. health officials confirmed the first possible community transmission of the coronavirus in a Solano County resident.

California is monitoring at least 8,400 people for the coronavirus

Published Thu, Feb 27 20201:54 PM EST

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that 33 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and the state is currently monitoring at least 8,400 others —a day after U.S. health officials confirmed the first possible community transmission of the coronavirus in a Solano County resident.

Not to be alarmist, but if that is true then this thing is probably already all over North America, we just don't realize it yet.

Macron warns France that coronavirus epidemic is coming

I've recently wondered if it has spread, as this California article suggests. It's just that people don't know it and lump it as just another cold. And the reason I thought this is I had a cold a couple weeks ago. Normal. But a few days ago I caught another cold that I have currently. Not flu-like...but also not cold-like. Feel it a lot in my lungs. And it's not very often I get sick a couple weeks apart.

Is it possible that thousands in Toronto have it and for 99% it's just a regular cold?

I've recently wondered if it has spread, as this California article suggests. It's just that people don't know it and lump it as just another cold. And the reason I thought this is I had a cold a couple weeks ago. Normal. But a few days ago I caught another cold that I have currently. Not flu-like...but also not cold-like. Feel it a lot in my lungs. And it's not very often I get sick a couple weeks apart.

I am feeling that one right now as well. It is kind of phlegmy but doesn't come with much nasal discharge - but all in all mild. I doubt that's it though.

If it was that widespread, there should be more of a bump of serious cases as well, and those will get detected even if the mild cases doesn't. We didn't see that.

AoD

Last edited:
We shall see in approximately 10-14 days.

That assumption only works if the community infections just started now (new cases would appear after a 10-14 case incubation period) - but if the assumption is that it is already circulating in the community for awhile (a few weeks), we should have seen at least some more severe cases already.

AoD

Nigeria confirms first coronavirus case in sub-Saharan Africa

Jason Burke Africa correspondent and Alison Rourke
Fri 28 Feb 2020 12.03 GMT

The first confirmed case of coronavirus in sub-Saharan Africa has been reported by Nigeria, as stock market losses around the world deepened amid investor alarm over a potential global pandemic.

The case involves an Italian citizen who entered the country on 24 February on a Turkish Airlines flight from Milan via Istanbul, Nigerian officials said.

Wonder if that would mess up or change the Nigerian Prince Scam?

‘Nigerian prince’ email scams still rake in over $700,000 a year

See link.

Things must be pretty bad in Iran for that many travellers to have gotten it.

AoD
If you look up the chronology of coronavirus on wikipedia, you see that Iran has basically been spreading this throughout much of the world (and Italy mostly in the European context).

The first case in Quebec is from Iran, and New Zealand also confirmed their first case, someone returning from travels in Iran as well.

Iran is finally beginning to report cases, and they are already up to ~400 from the couple dozen from a three days ago. Like you, I suspect the number of cases is way higher there than reported given that the mortality rate (if official figures are believed) is several times higher there than in anywhere else.

1582912445098.png

Things must be pretty bad in Iran for that many travellers to have gotten it.

AoD

Yes but they would never admit it publicly. This is the sort of thing that destabilizes regimes.

All it takes is for Iran or China to admit they have a full blown disaster on their hands to start riots and overthrow the regime. Think back to the USSR.. they never told the public Chernobyl went boom because they knew it would weaken their power.

With the living conditions in the middle east, the wars etc I would not be surprised if we saw an increase in cases as illegal migration ramps up.

As much as I hate war in the middle east, it would be useful right now to help control the spread.

Back