News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.2K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.4K     3 

Northern Construction Update: Eglinton, NY Centre, Sheppard, Scar Centre

Archivist

Member Bio
Reaction score
Here's an update on new projects in the north of the city. Did a bit of cycling yesterday.

Eglinton & Yonge area

Minto Midtown, lovely as usual.
01_MintoMidtown01.jpg

01_MintoMidtown02.jpg

01_MintoMidtown03.jpg

01_MintoMidtown04.jpg

01_MintoMidtown05.jpg

01_MintoMidtown06.jpg

01_MintoMidtown07.jpg

01_MintoMidtown08.jpg

01_MintoMidtown09.jpg

01_MintoMidtown10.jpg

Chateau Royale on Mt. Pleasant. Ugly as sin, but no necessarily inappropriate for the neighbourhood.

02_ChateauRoyale.jpg

900 Mount Pleasant. Perhaps less ugly than Chateau Royale, but to my mind more objectionable for the awful, thoughtless way it meets the street.

03_900MtPleasant1.jpg

03_900MtPleasant2.jpg

03_900MtPleasant3.jpg

1000 Mt Pleasant - digging is underway.

04_1000MtPleasant.jpg

88 0n Broadway.

05_88onBroadway1.jpg

05_88onBroadway2.jpg

05_88onBroadway3.jpg

North York Centre

Meridian.

06_Meridian1.jpg

06_Meridian2.jpg

06_Meridian3.jpg

Continental and the C-Condo. How could you come up with two bad names for a single development? These buildings are somehow overwhelming and ugly.

07_ContinentalCCondo1.jpg

07_ContinentalCCondo2.jpg

07_ContinentalCCondo3.jpg

07_ContinentalCCondo4.jpg

07_ContinentalCCondo5.jpg

07_ContinentalCCondo6.jpg

Mona Lisa. Site prep under way.

08_MonaLisa.jpg

Pulses. I thought these would be uglier than they seem to be turning out. The renderings were atrocious, but in real life they don't look as bad as I would have suspected.

08_Pulse1.jpg

08_Pulse2.jpg

08_Pulse3.jpg

08_Pulse4.jpg

08_Pulse5.jpg

08_Pulse6.jpg

Byng Rowhouses. I didn't recall seeing these before, and they seem well done, understated for North York, and quite charming. A nice little surprise.

09_ByngRowhouse1.jpg

09_ByngRowhouse2.jpg

Grade Triomphe. Seems to be two buildings going up here, with a kind of join on Yonge Street. Though the name and the design of these buildings are both quite bad, I do admire the retail, which is divided into a million tiny little storefronts. I've always thought that's what was possibly a problem with condo retail. Anyways, I took a few photos of the retail in the finished units, because it seems to me this is actually quite lively and useful. Who could hate a building with a store like "Sushi Bong" in it, anyways?

10_GrandeTriomphe1.jpg

10_GrandeTriomphe2.jpg

10_GrandeTriomphe3.jpg

10_GrandeTriomphe4.jpg

10_GrandeTriomphe5.jpg

11_GrandeTriompheSeniors1.jpg

11_GrandeTriompheSeniors2.jpg

Dia. Though this is finished, I took a few snaps anyways.

12_Dia1.jpg

12_Dia2.jpg

12_Dia3.jpg

12_Dia4.jpg

12_Dia5.jpg

Duca Office Building. Above ground.

13_Duca1.jpg

13_Duca2.jpg

Platinum 2 - Very very much like the first.

14_Platinum2_1.jpg

14_Platinum2_2.jpg

14_Platinum2_3.jpg

Sheppard Corridor

New retail and a few others on Sheppard. I quite like the three storey white affair. The Rona is fairly unpleasant, though.

15_NewRetailSheppard1.jpg

15_NewRetailSheppard2.jpg

16NewSheppard.jpg

Arc condos. Above ground now. I was surprised at where this was, I thought it would take up part of the parking lot, but really, it's way over by the subway station. It could be connected under ground, but I assume it won't be.

18_Arc1.jpg

18_Arc2.jpg

The Bayview. I don't recall hearing about this, but the site seems so large! All the renderings I saw were only partial. It will be ugly, but how ugly? How big?

18_TheBayview.jpg

Concord Park Place. Some movement on the site.

19_ConcordParkPlace1.jpg

19_ConcordParkPlace2.jpg

St. Gabriel Village. God, these are ugly. Shane Baghai is like a war criminal or something. At least he's never built downtown.

19_StGabriel1.jpg

19_StGabriel2.jpg

19_StGabriel3.jpg

19_StGabriel4.jpg

19_StGabriel5.jpg

Aria condos. I guess this will be two towers. Some movement on site.

20_Aria.jpg

Legacy at Heron's Hill. Just a big mess now.

21_Legacy1.jpg

21_Legacy2.jpg

Atria I Proposal. This has probably been mentioned, but I don't remember it. A fairly big development on the site of this four storey building. Is this not the building that won the GG Medal in 1982 - or am I confusing it with another? It's by Thom Partnership. On that basis alone, it would be a shame to lose it.

22_AtriaProposal1.jpg

22_AtriaProposal2.jpg

Perfect 10 Condos. Nothing happening on the site, but thought I would post the rendering anyways.

23_Perfect10_2.jpg

Hellenic Centre. A bit off of Shepard (actually, a lot off) but thought I would post anyways.

24_Hellenic1.jpg

24_Hellenic2.jpg

Scarborough Centre

Eq 1 and 2 - bordering on Albert Campbell Square. Which was a bit moribund, even on a nice day.

26_EQ1_1.jpg

26_EQ1_2.jpg

26_EQ1_3.jpg

27_Eq2_2.jpg

27_Eq2_3.jpg

27_Eq2_4.jpg

27_Eq2_5.jpg

27_Eq2_6.jpg

Eq - Red. Not sure, but I assume this is what this is. Just across from the other two Eq thingies.

28_Red2.jpg

Altitude. All done now.

29_Altitude1.jpg

29_Altitude2.jpg

Atria I Proposal. This has probably been mentioned, but I don't remember it. A fairly big development on the site of this four storey building. Is this not the building that won the GG Medal in 1982 - or am I confusing it with another? It's by Thom Partnership. On that basis alone, it would be a shame to lose it.

22_AtriaProposal2.jpg

Huh. I worked in this building, in the Sun Life IT department -- for three years, as I recall. Hard to believe that this (fairly new) building will be demolished.

Bill

Great photos! The new Hellenic Centre looks promising - sort of like a consulate or embassy building. Where exactly is it loctaed?

Great update.

Read that Arc will be connected underground to the subway, but not sure if that is current or not.

Nice to see some significant changes from earlier photo tours, including just one month ago.

The Hellenic Cultural Centre is at Warden & Ellesmere.

I'm semi-sure that the Atria proposal is going west of the building whose fate is questioned, on the parking lot/grass at the SE corner of Sheppard & Consumers, just west of the Atria driveway...at least, it would make no sense to demolish one building when the complex includes a large grass lot.

In case anyone mentions it, the DUCA "office" building is just the two-storey bit fronting Yonge - the tower behind it will be a seniors home. C/Continental is almost too weird to be ugly. Pulse turned out worse than I expected...the towers are very squat and the fake second storey above the "prime retail" is just silly. But not as silly as calling a ~20 storey building "Altitude"!

Albert Campbell Square is always empty unless there's some kind of function going on, like a Tamil Tiger rally...there's nothing around there so the only people you'll see are scurrying from the office buildings or the parking lot to the mall, usually around lunch (it would be a million times busier if they built a library or community centre or something - a half dozen condos won't add nearly enough people to make it seem inhabited).

Great update, thx! :)
The Hellenic Cultural Centre looks great - never heard of it till today...

Thanks for the wide-ranging update.

Dia looks great, and the podium of Minto Midtown should be duplicated and sent to replace the podium of RoCP.

That was quite the cycling trip! I don't bother cycling in the GTA, too dangerous :).

18_Arc2.jpg

There's a lot of parking space left, I'm wondering if we'll see Arc 2 or something else in the future.

On the proposed Sheppard site, there is a lot of land + parking space as scarb mentioned. I just took a look and it's a huge lot.

Thanks for the update Archivist...

I actually like the C-Condo!

I actually like the C-Condo!

Haha, I'm not sure I like them but when I last visited the area I had a hard time not taking pictures of them. Can't explain it.

Thanks Archivist, this was a great update. Line of the week must be "Shane Baghai is like a war criminal or something":D

Thanks for this photo update.. Scarbrough is getting potential downtown, I heard lot of condo builders submitted their application at city hall. if all those applications approved, scarbrough will be thirty downtown in toronto.

Thanks for comments and clarifications.

Re: Atria proposal. I imagine that what scarberiankhatru is true; there is an awful lot of space on the site available, so hopefull the existing four storey will stay in place.

Re: the podium of Minto Midtown should be duplicated and sent to replace the podium of RoCP from Hydrogen. Absolutely. Now, that's a podium!

Re: Arc. It would be interesting to have something on the new line already connected into the station. Arc was originally planned as two phases, so perhaps this will happen. Maybe the whole lot will be filled one day and there will an indoor link to the mall.

Re: C-Condos/Continental. Pleased to hear that someone likes it. I suppose they could be considered a nod to Park Willow, one of the area's few early highrises.

I actually like Chateau Royale and 900 Mt Pleasant far more than any boxy all-glass office tower wannabe condo. Bleah.

Thanks for the great update!

It's so easy to forget about all the developments that happen up north. North York looks insanely different than I how I saw it last.

Back