News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 279     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 312     0 

North York City Centre (Yonge & Sheppard)

Shoppers moving into Best Buy space
20190909_133350.jpg

Shoppers moving into Best Buy space

That was fast,..... the 2-level Best Buy closed on July 17 but it looks like Shoppers will only take the concourse-level of former Best Buy. The street-level Best Buy space doesn't have any Shoppers Drug Mart coming soon signage,....

The RBC that's coming in that part of the mall is an "RBC Meeting Place" (specialize in banking for new immigrants) so maybe they'll be taking some of the Best Buy street-level space??? Otherwise, get ready for more Bubble Tea and Asian noodle places!!!

That was fast,..... the 2-level Best Buy closed on July 17
The Best Buy actually closed on Aug 17

The RBC that's coming in that part of the mall is an "RBC Meeting Place" (specialize in banking for new immigrants) so maybe they'll be taking some of the Best Buy street-level space???
Probably not since the stairs leading up to Petit Potato are in the way

I’m amazed at how many Shoppers Drug Mary’s there are. There is one at each of the stations. Pretty saturated for pharmacy and cosmetics.

I’m amazed at how many Shoppers Drug Mary’s there are. There is one at each of the stations. Pretty saturated for pharmacy and cosmetics.

Don't forget Shoppers Drug Mart (SDM) at Ultima between Sheppard & North York Centre station; it's about 450m from SDM at Yonge-Sheppard Centre but only 300m from this proposed Empress Walk SDM. SDM probably taking up the EmpressWalk location to keep Rexall-PharmaPlus out (they're already across the street at North York City Centre but not as busy). EmpressWalk already have Loblaws with pharmacy,... and Loblaws own SDM - so having them both basically side by side,....

Pharma-Plus (Rexall) once had great location at BayviewVillage (where Oliver & Bonacini is now) but about 20 years ago, BayviewVillage refused to renew their lease. Guess what - ShoppersDrugMart soon set up shop at BayviewVillage & PharmaPlus (Rexall) re-opened a few years later on Sheppard east of Willowdale Ave

SDM at Yonge at Finch, Yonge-Sheppard Centre,... Yonge & Steeles,.. they (temporarily?) closed the SDM at NewtonBrook Plaza for M2M construction

Yes it’s too many in one area. I wonder how they can be profitable. I have a Rexall and a Shoppers near my house and both are mostly empty stores that are not needed in the neighbourhood but they are there.

They're basically convenience stores with a pharmacy, and private label products too. They can be profitable just about anywhere.
I’m not sure convenience stores are that profitable but I agree they are useful but SDMs are huge and have large fixed costs that I’d imagine require high product turn over to be profitable. I guess there must be enough demand and density in NYCC to support 4. The Yonge/Finch one is super profitable as it’s also used as a mini grocery store and has large cosmetics counter. That store was always packed when I lived there. The others I’m not sure about.

The area has certainly changed. From 1978 to 2004, I lived two blocks south west of Yonge and Finch, and I clearly remember almost all that was before North York City Centre. It's surreal for me to look about, via Google Maps, the stretch of Yonge from Steeles down to Sheppard. I can't help but mentally fill in what existed before. Reading through this entire thread makes me want to visit my old neighbourhood. Lots and lots of great memories!

Looks like Shoppers is taking over the ground floor as well. This is gonna be one massive Shoppers.
20190920_150844.jpg

I’m not sure convenience stores are that profitable but I agree they are useful but SDMs are huge and have large fixed costs that I’d imagine require high product turn over to be profitable. I guess there must be enough demand and density in NYCC to support 4. The Yonge/Finch one is super profitable as it’s also used as a mini grocery store and has large cosmetics counter. That store was always packed when I lived there. The others I’m not sure about.

It all depends on the product mix they sell. The margins on cosmetics are huge, over 100%. Probably the largest margins in that retail space. They also don't need much of them in inventory at the store as logistics operations make deliveries so frequently now that you only need a few of each expensive item in stock. You can reorder and get more in 24 to 48 hours max. Another big margin item are elderly care items. Adult diapers that sell for $25 for a two week supply are big net profit generators. Also the vitamins and supplements which do nothing and wholesale for $1 that they sell for $15.

Ichiban decor looks nice,...

It looks like Canada Computers will relocate from Newtonbrook Plaza (closed last year) to CenterPoint Mall - should open in about a month just in time for Christmas - Canada Computers will be in the cursed retail space that once hosted Zellers, then Target, then Lowes,... it’ll be a huge Canada Computers store - especially if they take both level

^They'll probably have to relocate again in a few years when Centerpoint is redeveloped

Back