News   May 17, 2024
 2.7K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.8K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 11K     10 

North Korea and the bomb

Cacruden, do you mean warheads in total, or do you mean missiles topped off with warheads?

Antiloop, while I understand your sentiments, I doubt anyone would feel any safer in the world with today's nuclear armed nations - minus the United States. The concern with North Korea is that it could offer the technology to anyone willing to pay. However, it should go without saying that any nuclear armed nation could do exactly the same thing.

I am pretty sure it is missles/bombs. I have saw a list of nuclear nations and estimated number of missles/bombs. Don't know about the warheads, expect that the US would likely have more warheads/missle on average than Russia (technical superiority likely).

I am more worried about North Korea getting nuclear weapons, they will likely sell the technology. I had heard that there were Iranian observers onhand for one of the earlier tests, I am guessing they would be the first customer for technology.

The current nuclear nations are known entities. No nation (other than the original use by the US) has used nuclear bombs in war. North Korea is the first of many nations that will go nuclear based on North Korea's work -- which will make it more likely they will be used.

After US confirmation. We are all in agreement that the test was infact nuclear, however small.

And we are likely to have a second test, so North Korea can prove it does not how to detonate one properly.

China says six-party talks to resume soon

China says six-party talks to resume soon
Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:52am ET

BEIJING (Reuters) - North Korea has agreed to return to stalled six-party talks on ending its nuclear programmes after holding an informal meeting with the United States and China in Beijing, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday.

The three countries had agreed to resume talks at a time convenient for all six parties in the near future, the ministry said on its Web site. The other three countries are South Korea, Japan and Russia.

U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Christopher Hill was due to hold a news conference in Beijing at 1200 GMT, an American embassy official said.

The U.N. Security Council voted on October 14 to impose financial and arms sanctions on North Korea after it staged its first nuclear test on October 9.

Earlier on Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Jianchao said Beijing has no plans to sever aid to or trade with North Korea.

Liu denied that an apparent drop in China's oil exports to the isolated fortress state signaled a shift in policy.

Chinese oil trade data released on Monday indicated that in September China sent no crude to North Korea at all.

The North relies on China for nearly all its oil, but has strained long-standing ties by test-firing missiles in July and then staging its first nuclear test this month -- both despite public pleas for restraint from China's leaders.

Beijing bluntly criticised the North's nuclear test and backed the sanctions.

Terrific news, if North Korea is genuine about it...

Signed,
The Mississauga Muse

>China says six-party talks to resume soon

There's no second-guessing that Lil' Kim, is there?

Re: >China says six-party talks to resume soon

Such a tiny little maniac, isn't he?

Re: >China says six-party talks to resume soon

He's so ronery.

nytimes_teamamerica.jpg

Back