News   Jul 10, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 554     0 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 801     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

By that ill-conceived logic, then a black man shouldn't run for president of the USA, because a lot of people will have problem with his skin colour.

However in both cases, to suggest that they shouldn't run, is nothing but bigotry! I can't imagine in this day and age that we have to worry about making sure that candidates appeal to such ignorant people!

I don't know what your agenda is in raising this, especially given the number of gay politicians from all 3 major parties, at all 3 levels of government, in Toronto.

I think Smitherman should run. Although I would like to know more about him. Anyone but John Tory.

Apparently, Tory VS Smitherman, won't be an issue because both have stated they will not rain on each others parade. It's going to one or the other. They say they will work this out in another backroom deal.

I just hope Smitherman can take the heat and spin it around to his advantage.

Jane Pitfield was Liberal, even John Tory could run under a Liberal banner and not raise any eyebrows.

Funny, I thought it was common enough knowledge that Pitfield was Tory--or at most, "strategically unaligned". Granted, a "John Tory" kind of Tory...

Hell, Obama wouldn't be elected to City Council because dinosaurs like Muscoe would view him as the second coming of Ronald Reagan for not thinking City Council is better at making decisions than ordinary people.

Actually, in such a light, Obama transcribed into City Council terms would be Mike Thompson. Who I can still see prevailing in a mayoral contest versus both Miller and Smitherman.

And if Thompson's too wishy-washy a la John Tory for you, that's your problem.

*And* hip. *And* likeable. And the bane of the, uh, "Muscovians" (to use Whoaccio's misspelling creatively)

Miller To Make Election Announcement

http://torontoist.com/2009/09/miller_to_make_2010_election_announcement.php

David Miller will be issuing some kind of announcement about the 2010 municipal election at 10 a.m. this morning (Friday). Word that he would be doing so started to spread a few hours ago, though no official press release has yet been issued by City Hall.

We aren't, of course, privy to the contents of this statement, but we have been hearing from City Hall watchers that the mayor may announce that he will not be seeking reelection—contrary to his previous declarations. As recently as last month, after the city workers' strike had concluded, Miller had proclaimed his intention to run in 2010, for what would be his third term in the mayor's office. Certainly there is a great deal of speculation going on at the moment, for the precipitating cause of the announcement—almost fifteen months prior to the election, and more than three prior to the opening of nominations—is unclear.

Regardless of whether Miller announces a reelection bid or a withdrawal, it is becoming increasingly apparent that the upcoming campaign will be far more heated, and hard-fought, than seemed likely just a few months ago. In the aftermath of the strike Miller has been facing increasingly virulent criticism on a number of fronts, including from an expanding roster of potential campaign challengers. As we have argued before, we are inclined to find much of this criticism overblown, and we find ourselves hoping that the speculators prove, in this case, to have read the signals wrong.

Miller To Make Election Announcement

http://torontoist.com/2009/09/miller_to_make_2010_election_announcement.php

David Miller will be issuing some kind of announcement about the 2010 municipal election at 10 a.m. this morning (Friday). Word that he would be doing so started to spread a few hours ago, though no official press release has yet been issued by City Hall.

Oooh speculation is fun! But we've only got an hour for it so start commenting.

Miller might just want to be full time CEO of InvesToronto. Though he could try and go back for his old council seat. I think Saundercook is the rep for that area now....

A Tory vs. Smitherman one on one would make for an outrageously fun election.

Oooh speculation is fun! But we've only got an hour for it so start commenting.

Miller might just want to be full time CEO of InvesToronto. Though he could try and go back for his old council seat. I think Saundercook is the rep for that area now....

A Tory vs. Smitherman one on one would make for an outrageously fun election.

I could see Miller resigning. It seems that, ever since the garbage strike, he hasn't really enjoyed the job as much. With municipal tax hikes essentially guaranteed for next year, the election is not going to be easy.

Would Tory really run against Smitherman, though? Is he going for the World Record on most electoral losses in a single decade?

If he does drop out, that would open a spot for a Giambrone/Vaughan/Carroll type to challenge Smitherman and Tory from the left.

I'm calling it now, Smitherman and Tory will both throw their hat in the race. I knew that friendship was too peculiar to last.

If he does drop out, that would open a spot for a Giambrone/Vaughan/Carroll type to challenge Smitherman and Tory from the left.

In that sense it's a smart move by Miller. Knowing that he would probably lose to a strong centre-right candidate, the only chance for the left to keep the office is to have someone else run.

Ah, a sad day for Toronto.

The union will likely regret the day they started the last strike; I can't imagine that they will find the next mayor as easy to deal with.

Now that the left-of-centre is empty, Smitherman is the best that the left can hope for. He would have looked rather uncomfortable anyway holding a centrist of even right-of-centre platform against Miller.

There is no way that a Miller ally like Giambrone, Pantalone, Carroll et al. will have a shot at it against an outsider like Tory or Smitherman. The left-leaning councillors seems more disliked than our left-leaning mayor.

With that being said, the NDP establishment absolutely despises Smitherman, so I'm sure they will throw in a party candidate, much like they did with long-shot Miller back in 2003 against then-front runner Barbara Hall.

There's a part of me that's really looking forward to a more centrist/right mayor coming into office because there will be the inevitable crushing disappointment from the anti-Miller crowd when the next guy doesn't privatize everything, gut the unions, lower taxes & fees and build any kind of subway to STC.

Back