News   May 16, 2024
 288     1 
News   May 16, 2024
 399     0 
News   May 16, 2024
 505     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Toronto has a history of activist municipal government that believes in funding generous municipal services and infrastructure with higher than average taxes. The province gets away with charging higher education taxes in Toronto than other municipalities because Toronto's education taxes were always higher. Of course, Toronto used to make up for that by having a better funded public school system than the surrounding Municipalities. Now, we pay more but get the same funding as everyone else.
As far as residential taxes go, the education rate is uniform throughout the province. The province gets away with charging higher education taxes on non residential properties only because it is a remnant of when school boards had power to set the rate. Guess whom they made pay, residents or businesses. Lastly, residents have not accepted higher taxes at all. Residential taxes are lower in Toronto, yet the city spends far more per household. Residents of Toronto in effect are buying government services for $0.40 on the dollar yet feel ripped off. One could extrapolate a value perception from that.

A more accurate portrayal of Toronto would be that it has a history of spending too much and expecting others to pay for it. In addition it has a history of of hiding the true cost of providing services by the means ducati000 listed above plus its draining of reserve funds. It is the a classic case of politicians taking advantage of unsophisticated voters.

Last edited:
Most of the budget goes to highly paid unions members and advisers on the board,why do we spend millions on painted bike paths and speed bumps while our roads or crumbling,why do we need these "green innovations" while its proven its not as "recyclable" as Miller is trying to make it out to be,why does tax payers have to fund programs for the street people when they are refusing to take part in,why do we spend millions on building new shelters when the city of Toronto owns 9000 empty room scattered across the city core.

The hardest hit in this recession are the working poor,I do not think Miller clan cares about these hard working voters,he taxes the tax payers for programs no ones wants.

The huge bins across the city is a eye sore and the small streets in winter cannot handle these massive garbage bins.I cannot fathom why people vote for this person,the only thought is the majority who hates him didnt vote and those who benefit from his left wing stance did...

I think the time is coming for party politics at City Hall.

I have the agree, though. Contracting out has to be an option to keep the unions in check. Of course, in some cases unionized in-house labour could and would be advantageous (so outsourcing shouldn't be ideological). Things like operating the TTC could be outsourced in large part: hire companies to own, operate and maintain rolling stock and pay staff for a fee per hour and/or per passenger.

Here is another great idea from the left wingnuts...again my friend business in the beaches got tagged.A day latter the by law inspector comes in and hands him a notice that it must be removed within a certain timeframe,its god damn freezing outside and this is the 5th time within the last two months the dumb ass taggers painted his walls and the second time in 6 months the inspector warn him about a fine if he doesnt remove it.Why not hire more people to patrol the area and catch these idiots from spraying instead of fining the poor owners to remove it.Why is it sooo hard for city hall to realize that the taggers are criminals and not the owners.Thats the problem with city hall,no reality of the real world,they get their inflated salaries and pensions and give a hoot about regular people,too many pet causes and too little straight thinking.I want Ford to win the election,he may be not the most "polite" person in City Hall but he has common sense.

ducati000,

You should also note the green roof for the Eglinton West subway station and the electric Zamboni for Nathan Philips Square even though it would be better suited for indoor use.

This council is about optics not results. Clean city, my ass.

Rob Ford is an ignoramus in the first degree. I would feel better with a chimpanzee running the show. Much better. I disagree with Miller's policies, but the guy isn't an idiot and he manages to run council as well as it's idiotic state lets it be run. If you had to elect some type of right wing foil to Miller, I would prefer Stintz or Minan-Wong. My preferred option is still to have someone not from City Council, which is basically filled with washed up school board trustees and failed businessmen, and elect someone more qualified from the broader community. John Tory comeback? He is bound to win something one of these times.

Ok Ford is the polar opposite of Miller,I use a extreme case to get the left wingers here to respond..Minnan Wong is a VERY good choice,he's smart,sensible,business sense,excellent speaker.Miller fears him the most of all the opposing politicians.He knows his intelligence is par with his and hes not scare to confront anyone,he even confronted some of his right leaning politician for not having a team plan to fight the lefties at city hall..

yes what a wasteful project. Helping the police better do work to catch criminals.

Nice comment... :rolleyes:

Part of the comment was about police helicopters. I wonder how many criminals were caught (or actually get caught) using police helicopters.

Rob Ford is an ignoramus in the first degree. I would feel better with a chimpanzee running the show. Much better. I disagree with Miller's policies, but the guy isn't an idiot and he manages to run council as well as it's idiotic state lets it be run. If you had to elect some type of right wing foil to Miller, I would prefer Stintz or Minan-Wong. My preferred option is still to have someone not from City Council, which is basically filled with washed up school board trustees and failed businessmen, and elect someone more qualified from the broader community. John Tory comeback? He is bound to win something one of these times.

Total agreement concerning Ford. As for Minan-Wong, he's not exactly a bright light, either. I'd vote against him. Regarding Stintz, I don't know; there's not too much striking about her in terms of her in the role of mayor.

As for Tory, I don't get this guy. He's clearly a very smart individual and is obviously capable of being a mayor. His run in provincial politics is rather strange. He ought to be doing better than he is, yet he manages to find no traction in getting the job of Premier. If he'd run for mayor now I wonder if the only question would be about how big his win would be.

Part of the comment was about police helicopters. I wonder how many criminals were caught (or actually get caught) using police helicopters.

aton1516l.jpg

I think the time is coming for party politics at City Hall.

+1

I agree 100%. It is ridiculous for one of the largest governments in Canada to not allow party politics. This is exactly why Toronto will never grow up. As long as our city councillors operate under an 18th century system designed for small towns, they can get away with disguising their ideological leanings by not having to run under a banner. And the small town system fosters small town attitudes. I wonder what would happen to the bunch if party politics came into place.

What bewilders me, is why McGuinty does not amend the City of Toronto act to allow party politics in Toronto only. The Liberals would have the most to gain from such a move.

The quicker Transit City comes to fruition, the better for Miller. Transit lines running up Jane, through Finch and across Sheppard West are much more appealing to suburbanites than waterfront development. Miller has the Old City of Toronto in the bag, but it will be Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough that could kill his chances at a third term.

Last edited:

Back