News   Apr 16, 2024
 581     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 447     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 805     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Clemons is very likeable and does a lot of good work around here, but not mayor. Was Royson James not trying to pitch him as well as the ideal man to run, an Obama? LOL

Royson James is such a reactionary douchebag (and an atrocious writer).

Also, does anyone else take offense to the claim that Pinball Clemons is somehow politically comparable to Barack Obama? Why does Royson James have no shame?

Last edited:
Paul Bedford is currently serving on the Metrolinx board, FYI. I don't know what else he's up to.

I would agree with the general sentiment here that Miller has done a decent job, but we could do with someone a little more moderate than him. I remember last election he was seen as unbeatable, is he now? I could see any sort of former Liberal presenting a strong challenge to him.

Two Liberals whose names have been dropped in the past:

1. He was rumoured to have been considering a run last time, but now that Stephen LeDrew and his bowtie have become a CP24 fixture, maybe he'll actually take the plunge this time. It would ast least give CRA a paycheque to garnish.

2. Wasn't Dennis Mills supposed to be unbeatable -- a Catholic Mel Lastman without the hairplugs and troublesome bastard children -- at least according to the rumour mill circa 2004? Wa'happen?

Probably not as rare as you think. I am a Conservative who's really knowledgeable and passionate about urban living and promoting it. There are likely several others who have also posted in this thread who would classify themselves as the same.

My views are pro transit, pro intensification, pro city living, pro diversity, anti suburb. Yet at the same time, my views are also down with unions, down with free loaders, down with the bloated and abused social housing and welfare systems, down with over taxation, and down with wasteful government spending. If a candidate came to the table with that platform, who here would vote for them?

I voted for Jane Pitfield last time around. Despite being a right wing candidate, it was she and not Miller who supported 1 or 2 km of subway construction each year.

That's good to hear that it's not rare. But I meant that it was hard to think of a prominent candidate with such views right now. Hopefully you know of one ;).

I've always wondered how well an appointed mayor would work like in the Netherlands. Anti-democratic issues aside, i could see some positive upsides. For one, very few people care about municipal elections (sad reality), if part of the PMO or Premier's job was to appoint mayors it would probably boost voter turnout. Second, it would be neat to have either Harper or McGuinty be forced to take a stance on urban issues by giving them the responsibility to select a mayor. It would probably also give us a higher caliber of politician (i.e. actual federal cabinet ministers instead of former school board trustees).

I've always wondered how well an appointed mayor would work like in the Netherlands. Anti-democratic issues aside, i could see some positive upsides. For one, very few people care about municipal elections (sad reality), if part of the PMO or Premier's job was to appoint mayors it would probably boost voter turnout. Second, it would be neat to have either Harper or McGuinty be forced to take a stance on urban issues by giving them the responsibility to select a mayor. It would probably also give us a higher caliber of politician (i.e. actual federal cabinet ministers instead of former school board trustees).

But what about former school trustees who became federal cabinet ministers who came up for selection for Toronto mayor?:D

Last edited:
1. He was rumoured to have been considering a run last time, but now that Stephen LeDrew and his bowtie have become a CP24 fixture, maybe he'll actually take the plunge this time. It would ast least give CRA a paycheque to garnish.

Considered a run in 2006? He did run! Got 8,078 votes, or 1.4%. Even Enza Anderson managed to get 13,595 votes back in 2000.

Paul Bedford would be awesome...

I think we should be looking for a Toronto native, perhaps a conservative to mix things up a bit. They would preferably have a background in economics to help fix the City's finances, and will have worked for a major think tank. Leadership experience would be an asset, especially in higher levels of government.

Can't really think of anyone at the moment.

Rocco Rossi?

I read recently that Rocco Rossi, campaign Manager for John Tory's failed mayoral bid and CEO of the Heart and Stroke Foundation is considering a run at Toronto's top post. I know little about the man or his "vision" but I think he might have some of the tools needed to run the city.

Second, it would be neat to have either Harper or McGuinty be forced to take a stance on urban issues by giving them the responsibility to select a mayor. It would probably also give us a higher caliber of politician (i.e. actual federal cabinet ministers instead of former school board trustees).

Hmm. Harper selecting a mayor for Toronto. Ought to go over well. Yup--sure oughta...

Back