News   Jul 26, 2024
 376     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 995     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 850     1 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Streetcars are going no where....

it costs money to replace them!!! lol....

The difference is that Toronto Prior to miller enjoyed a fairly low rate of tax increases from year to year (Lastman, Hall etc). Lastman's no frills administration concentrated on basic park maintenance, Garbage pick up, and adequate transit. That's it.

Miller has created, all these 'beautification' projects, which are only really experienced by urban dwellers.

Many young families living downtown are having their budget stretched as taxes have gone up, but services have not increased. Inflation and salaries have not nearly been kept up (unless you work for the city) at the rate of taxation.

Where has the money gone? Make work projects and union incentives.

It's great to have all these amenities, but when families living at thtat breakpoint CAN'T afford it, but still have to pay into it, that's when you have a revolt like Ford.

Most of the inner suburbs are families that make 65k to 85k with two kids and a mortage...
Seniors that have been on fixed incomes are being forced out of their homes.... so councillors can have fun with their make work projects?

that's why you have over 60% of the voters voting for platforms right of centre.

I'm really surprised nobody here has mentioned Justin Trudeau's high profile endorsement of Smitherman last night. It was the lead story on CFTO news, and it was an absolute mob scene.

Justin Trudeau is about as relevant as Julian Lennon.

For those that read my past analysis using the polls and voting trends from previous elections, I've run through the numbers now that Rossi is out.

I'm not sure Smitherman is even worried about Pantalone supporters not voting strategically. There are currently around 140,000 undecided voters as of the last poll. If that's the case, the difference between Ford and Smitherman can be made up if Smitherman gets 5,000 more undecided voters than Ford. I think that's a fairly safe bet. By my estimation there are around 400,000 centre-left voters in the city and 325,000 right wing voters. But even those numbers don't take into account whether centre-right voters will side with Ford or Smitherman. Given Smitherman's stance on some issues he would be a centre right candidate in some people's books and would potentially eat into some of that right wing support. Mind you, all of this pre-supposes that left-right labels matter (and as I mentioned many times before, I hate those labels) so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Going by last night's debate, I think Pants will have gained support from the undecideds in the last poll. A gain in his poll numbers might bring back some of the switchers from Smitherman. If Pants is polling anywhere over 20%, I don't think his supporters will have last minute thoughts to jump to Smitherman. If he's still in the teens, I think they will.

The general mood I'm feeling today is that Smitherman has lost some momentum coming out of last night's debate. Apparently Pantalone connected with people last night. Which is weird from my perspective because I've never liked him less than I did last night.

The Streetcars would be replaced with electric buses which will be far less disruptive to the flow of traffic thereby reducing greenhouse gases. Also if a bus breaks down it will not bring all of the buses behind it to a grinding halt.

Replacing 1 streetcar with 3 buses will create less traffic and greenhouse gases? 1+1 = 9? Not to mention it will cost a ton of money to rip out the streetcar tracks and employ 3 different drivers rather than 1.

Also, the idea that we would make a profit from selling the streetcars is laughable since they're made with a Toronto-specific wheelbase and it's a huge amount of cars to begin with. Even if the cars were modified to a different wheelbase, which would cost more money, experts doubt a buyer could take even close to the whole order. Beyond that, TC has been funded by the province, and I doubt they will fund Ford's awful plan.

Oh, you mean like voting for a candidate that isn't "provided" to you by the Provincial or Federal government? Or a candidate that isn't backed by a major newspaper? Yes, that would be making a difference.

At the start of the election there were 39 candidates. 39! Can you name more than 5 of them? There are people who would make a difference in Toronto. Unfortunately they don't have the financial backing or established Government career to ever make it happen.

There's a long way to go before people wake up to change. Hopefully I'll live to see the day, but I'm not holding my breath.

No, you're certainly not holding your breath. You're spewing hot air all over the place. Most other candidates have zero political experience. Maybe that appeals to you, but it doesn't to me. I don't want someone running the city that has no idea how political entities work.

Are you trying to tell my Rob Ford is some kind of outsider coming in to rage against the machine? I doubt it. Daddy was in politics (remember the endorsement from the federal finance minister?), and Tommy Boy's been in it a while himself now. He's got lots of endorsements and (he says) plenty of councilors onside with him, so it's not like he's not part of the machine, too. Doye.

Last edited:
Christine O'Donnell and Sarah Palin make Rob Ford look like a fucking genius. Ford has political experience and has a business beyond that. Palin is an ex-reporter who got to be governor on her looks, O'Donnell rode to political fame on the back of media-stirred hatred of those in power, seemingly not caring if they get lunatics in their place. Ford isn't up to being mayor, but comparing him to Palin or O'Donnell is insulting to him.

Hey, if you're talking about female extremist American politicians, don't forget Michelle Bachmann. A total raving nutjob, and also a profoundly evil person in my books, she has made a career out of attacking various groups of people -- basically anyone who is not a straight, right-wing, white fundamentalist Christian.

No, you're certainly not holding your breath. You're spewing hot air all over the place. Most other candidates have zero political experience. Maybe that appeals to you, but it doesn't to me. I don't want someone running the city that has no idea how political entities work.

Are you trying to tell my Rob Ford is some kind of outsider coming in to rage against the machine? I doubt it. Daddy was in politics (remember the endorsement from the federal finance minister?), and Tommy Boy's been in it a while himself now. He's got lots of endorsements and (he says) plenty of councilors onside with him, so it's not like he's not part of the machine, too. Doye.

No Dilla, it would seem that like the majority of the electorate you've been conditioned to read between the lines. I do not support Ford or Smitherman.

I am referring to the other 34 fringe candidates on the ballot. Torontonians have an opportunity to vote for change, but sadly the propoganda we're exposed to by the Toronto Star, Globe, Sun and political media ensure that will not be happening anytime soon.

Life is much simpler while being pulled around by the bullrings in our noses, it's the human condition. There is no real chioce when the chioces you're presented with lead you to the same destination.

Political reform can happen, and the Municipal level is the place for it to begin.

The general mood I'm feeling today is that Smitherman has lost some momentum coming out of last night's debate. Apparently Pantalone connected with people last night. Which is weird from my perspective because I've never liked him less than I did last night.

I'm getting the same impression. Not good. It's exactly what Rob Ford wanted. Let Joe get ahead and team up with him to attack Smitherman who had to spend much of the debate on the offensive. Also, why weren't there any Smitherman supporters cheering for him last night. All I heard was heckling and Ford seemed to get the most cheering, followed by Joe.

This is one debate, I hope people missed. :(

No Dilla, it would seem that like the majority of the electorate you've been conditioned to read between the lines. I do not support Ford or Smitherman.

I am referring to the other 34 fringe candidates on the ballot. Torontonians have an opportunity to vote for change, but sadly the propoganda we're exposed to by the Toronto Star, Globe, Sun and political media ensure that will not be happening anytime soon.

Life is much simpler while being pulled around by the bullrings in our noses, it's the human condition. There is no real chioce when the chioces you're presented with lead you to the same destination.

Political reform can happen, and the Municipal level is the place for it to begin.

Here we go with the sheeple crap. There's this guy, Kamuix, that you would really get along with.

I'm referring to to the other 34 fringe candidates, too. How many of them have any political experience at all? None-ish?

^ It was a rhetorical question. Nenshi was 3rd but not far behind #2. All 3 candidates were within 10 points of each other leading up to the last week. Nenshi moved in to second place just before the election. Pants is nowhere close to that right now.

I'm getting the same impression. Not good. It's exactly what Rob Ford wanted. Let Joe get ahead and team up with him to attack Smitherman who had to spend much of the debate on the offensive. Also, why weren't there any Smitherman supporters cheering for him last night. All I heard was heckling and Ford seemed to get the most cheering, followed by Joe.

This is one debate, I hope people missed. :(

The debate was forgettable and will fade into the background (with all the rest of the garbage) by the time the weekend rolls around, and (hopefully), by Monday, people will come to their senses enough to know that Ford plainly is not fit for this job and the only alternative to keep him out is Smitherman, who has more of a vision. (i'm not saying its the best vision, but better than Ford)

Joe had his best performance. Rob did well. George seemed defensive and unhappy. This debate was certainly a win for Rob Ford in the grand scheme of things.

Back