News   Jul 26, 2024
 981     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.6K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I'm digging Smitherman more this week, too. He feels like a different guy, what with his strong performance in the CP24 debate and then making a point of holding an announcement at Sugar Beach. The latter was a nice admission that we aren't a city that's been going down the tubes for the past seven years but rather that a lot of positive change has occured.

Another jab at Ford via an article on Flaherty:
Fiorito: Flaherty will get us nowhere
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/865585--fiorito-flaherty-will-get-us-nowhere

That helps. Thanks Fiorito. I don't think Flaherty has much purchase in this town. Memories linger. BTW, in our household Flaherty is referred to as Jim Flatulent.

Great ... but please, when he does something daft, don't defend him to the bitter end like the Ford supporters do.

For example, I've generally supported Miller - but I've called his anti-airport plans daft at every opportunity.

We agree.

MetroMan,

I to was at the debate today. I agree that Ford appeared tired and a little grumpy. My i

Ford : Appeared tired and grumpy. Although he was the only candidate that addressed CFIB members number one issue. That is a promise to lower commercial taxes.

Thomson: Not Bad, though her justification on road tolls came across as ill informed. Namely it is to punish those whom enter the city, not meant for Toronto residents. Not realizing that Toronto is no longer a net importer of labour. No Word on lower commercial taxes.

Rossi: Definitely the most polished of the bunch. Seemed to down play the tunnel, saying he just wants to study it, and only if can be fully supported by tolls. No word on lowering commercial taxes.

Smitherman: Lied about helping protect business in Toronto when he was deputy premier by restricting the city's ability to riase taxes on nonresidential by half the residential increases. This is a bold face lie because prior to the permission to raise commercial taxes, the city was expressly prohibited from doing so.

Pantalone: Bold face liar. He said Toronto reduced the commercial taxes by 3% last year. The reality is they raised them by 1%. From 98-03 there was no increase. Since the time Miller was elected they have increased every year. Joe seem like a nice guy, but he has about as much competency to run the city as a chia pet.

My Score Card reads,

Ford
Rossi
Thomson
Smitherman
Pantalone

My Score Card reads,

Ford
Rossi
Thomson
Smitherman
Pantalone
On commercial taxes, or the election as a whole.

Commercial taxes is an extremely minor point in the entire election campaign, and will have little bearing on the outcome .

With Ford's grumpiness, one has to wonder how long he's going to last under the increased scrutiny before he cracks and makes one of his classic Fordisms. Clearly he is trying very hard to keep things under control ... but that was likely easier while he was leading and climbing in the polls. If he starts to fall in the polls, under a concerted attack from the media and all the other candidates, how long before his mouth gets the better of him?

To get a lawn sign, simply contact the George Smitherman campaign; that's easy, just google George Smitherman and his entire website comes up.

The status quo (meaning Joe) won't do, for me, because of what I perceive to be the next big battle facing council: tighter scrutiny of the budget. A tougher approach (Smitherman's) really is appropriate, as far as I am concerned, and that is part of the package that Smitherman is selling.

Yes, I am now officially a George Smitherman supporter.

Ok, thanks. I don't think Smitherman is the guy to do it given his provincial track record, but I could very well be wrong.

I am tempted to tell Jim Flaherty, in capital letters, to keep his big mouth shut and not to meddle in the affairs of this town, where he neither lives, nor works, nor holds municipal office.

I will restrain myself.
But Fiorito couldn't restrain himself from being petulant and childish. Such amateurish writing ruined the rest of his argument.

MetroMan,

I to was at the debate today. I agree that Ford appeared tired and a little grumpy. My i

Ford : Appeared tired and grumpy. Although he was the only candidate that addressed CFIB members number one issue. That is a promise to lower commercial taxes.

Thomson: Not Bad, though her justification on road tolls came across as ill informed. Namely it is to punish those whom enter the city, not meant for Toronto residents. Not realizing that Toronto is no longer a net importer of labour. No Word on lower commercial taxes.

Rossi: Definitely the most polished of the bunch. Seemed to down play the tunnel, saying he just wants to study it, and only if can be fully supported by tolls. No word on lowering commercial taxes.

Smitherman: Lied about helping protect business in Toronto when he was deputy premier by restricting the city's ability to riase taxes on nonresidential by half the residential increases. This is a bold face lie because prior to the permission to raise commercial taxes, the city was expressly prohibited from doing so.

Pantalone: Bold face liar. He said Toronto reduced the commercial taxes by 3% last year. The reality is they raised them by 1%. From 98-03 there was no increase. Since the time Miller was elected they have increased every year. Joe seem like a nice guy, but he has about as much competency to run the city as a chia pet.

My Score Card reads,

Ford
Rossi
Thomson
Smitherman
Pantalone

hmm, that's hard to believe - I'm nearly 100% certain that Thomson platform includes lowering commerical rates - and she stated it many times and I thought it was even online in her platform (haven't checked).

I'd like to also say I watched the debate as well ... while as you may know I'm very much adamant about lowering commerical rates - quite frankly, he really doesn't strike me as a competent human being and I hope you can realize that. I think if you've watched him in council over the months you'd reach a similar conclusion. Again, his message is well understood, easy to relate to, and very agreeable to many (including my self) - and yes, I realize, it will take cuts and it may just be something we'll have to live with - but again, this isn't the person I want to bring in this new era or to reduce spending on the whole to lower commerical rates.

At this point, particularly with all this - anything but ford talk- I'm fairly confident Ford will win, really this fuels the fire for those who agree with his idea / message - again I find it hard to believe, as a person, forgetting his policies, he'd make a good mayor due to his lack of, well, conversation skills to say the least.

Here's my other theory - those who do not like Ford are likely to vote for one of the 3 candidates (Smith / Pants / Thoms) ... and maybe some who can see through Ford's message Rossi - for the first 3 in particular. While these 3 candidates set them selves apart to certain degree, they're similar to the common folk (not to sound arrogant here but by that I mean the 80% who don't really know anything other then what's reported on the news) and this includes many of those on the left ... they may really have no idea which of the 3 to go for - I'd say, it's likely many of the undecided voters are going to go with one of those 3 verse Ford - by a long shot.

Having said that, it may not be enough, particularly with this anything but ford front which I think will do the opposite of what they want.

In terms of my own personal preference, I can relate to Ford's message - but more from the commerical property tax front, not the general cut the waste and all politicians are just wasting money left right and center. So to me Thomson really strikes me as the best from both worlds.

Last edited:
My Score Card reads,

Ford
Rossi
Thomson
Smitherman
Pantalone

For sure, Pantalone seemed to be the least relevant....

After the debate, a crowd of media were interviewing Thomson, then Rossi, then Smitherman (Ford bolted straight for the door after the debate) and Joe patiently waited, while he talked to an old lady. They finished with Rossi and turned off their cameras! ha! Joe had to walk up to them and ask: "Don't you want to talk to me?" They all kind of shrugged shoulders in unison and turned back their cameras and mic's. Hahaha!

When asked if he would consider dropping out at any point, even if his numbers remained far below that of the front runner, he said absolutely not. He will not drop out under any circumstances and would consider such a disservice to democracy. I never expected him to. You don't just give up on a 30 year career like that. This is why I'm near certain that we'll end up with Mayor Ford. Nobody will budge, regardless of how bad they're doing. Sarah Thomson is the only one because she has no more money to campaign on (except her own).

When asked if he would consider dropping out at any point, even if his numbers remained far below that of the front runner, he said absolutely not. He will not drop out under any circumstances and would consider such a disservice to democracy. I never expected him to. You don't just give up on a 30 year career like that. This is why I'm near certain that we'll end up with Mayor Ford. Nobody will budge, regardless of how bad they're doing. Sarah Thomson is the only one because she has no more money to campaign on (except her own).

That's why I think we might want a simple majority system (i.e. a second round if nobody won 50% of the vote). Vote splitting is just not right.

You cannot run a 'I will continue what the other guy did' campaign and expect to win. You have to throw in a few bold ideas that go beyond Miller's ideas.

Pantalone and his camp are not smart enough to figure that out?

Back