News   Jul 26, 2024
 903     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.4K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.1K     3 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I guess if you are opposed to universal health insurance then your comments may make sense.

But that's a position that not even the federal Conservative party endorses.

I guess if you are opposed to universal health insurance then your comments may make sense.

But that's a position that not even the federal Conservative party endorses.

Who said I like the federal conservatives? They are spending even more than the liberals and creating deficit.

I don't mind a public health insurance system as long as it's not funded by general tax revenue. Take CPP for example. I think it's a good idea since it provides peace of mind although I would like an op-out option. It's also fiscally sustainable, which I can't say about our current health care system. IMHO, all government programs should be run as independent corporations, albeit non-profit ones.

Eh, because I am forced to pay for it? I would be glad that eye exams lost OHIP coverage if it means I would pay less taxes. Sorry, let me clarify, by "Taxes" I mean Taxes + Premiums.

Let me put it this way. Say a car I would like to buy cost $30,000. Now, if the salesman comes over and say you can get a $300 discount if you don't want rust proof. I would be ok with it since I can get rust proof elsewhere using the money I saved. However, if the salesman comes over and say you have to pay $10000 more and we are not going to give you rust proof, but we are adding this feature that you will never need. I probably won't buy it. Now imagine the salesman put a gun to my head and say you have to take this deal. Well, I am not sure I would call him a salesman anymore. Now imagine this salesman want my vote to become the mayor of Toronto, what would you like me to do?

you do too much imagining. BTW, isn't the salesman gay? maybe he put his penis to your head and not a gun. maybe you imagined it wrong. stop living in imagination land.

you do too much imagining. BTW, isn't the salesman gay? maybe he put his penis to your head and not a gun. maybe you imagined it wrong. stop living in imagination land.

If that's the best you can do, then I rest my case. You are of course entitled to your opinion. Let's see whether Toronto will warm up to Mr. Smitherman. I somehow doubt it, but stranger things have happened before.

Who said I like the federal conservatives? They are spending even more than the liberals and creating deficit.
I didn't think you were ... I was just highlighting how unusual a position it was.

Fair point on CPP.

UI should be the same ... though the government has been cheating for years and simply been using that as general revenue.

I didn't think you were ... I was just highlighting how unusual a position it was.

Fair point on CPP.

UI should be the same ... though the government has been cheating for years and simply been using that as general revenue.

Totally agree about UI (EI).

When did progressive Toronto become car-loving, tax crazed, anti-everything Texas? How can a city seemingly change overnight? With all the outright lies, deception, manipulation and negativity flying around, it sure feels a lot like the worst of American politics has invaded this city. (everybody seems so vindictive online) I don't like it at all. I really thought we were better than that.

When did progressive Toronto become car-loving, tax crazed, anti-everything Texas? How can a city seemingly change overnight? With all the outright lies, deception, manipulation and negativity flying around, it sure feels a lot like the worst of American politics has invaded this city. (everybody seems so vindictive online) I don't like it at all. I really thought we were better than that.
"Progressive Toronto" not having a clearer understanding of what Toronto is really like is a function of liberals having their heads up their collective ass for too long (metaphorically speaking).

This reminds me of the Pauline Kael line after Nixon was overwhelmingly re-elected when she said something like,"How does he keep winning? I don't know anyone who voted for him."

Some of you need to get out more.

Last edited:
The two biggest papers have both been heavily into the anti-Miller anti-spending, the-world-is-about-to-end stuff for a long time now. Highlighting even the smallest spending issue. Over time, people start to take this stuff seriously.

What's ironic, is that the last few years have been amazingly corruption free. I can't recall anything at all serious since that computer financing scandal (compare to some American cities where wide-scale corruption at the city level is normal). Yet the media makes noise far out of proportion with what's going on.

So when a candidate starts making the same noise, people listen, thinking it's a serious issue.

Combined with some really poor service that has made the media (Toronto Community Housing is a disgrace, TTC customer service is very poor), the perception that city employees are overpaid ... I guess it all just blows up in a perfect storm.

If there was a good candidate opposing Ford; a Miller, a Tory, etc. ... I doubt we would be in this mess. But all the current candidates are severy compromised in their own way.

Sorry if this post offends you, but if people are concerned about a Ford victory, they really need to stop talking about it and get involved. If you have time, walk in to one of the campaign offices and start volunteering. If you have money, donate. If only 5% of the people on Twitter, on blogs, and on Facebook who are concerned about Ford actually got involved, this race would be transformed over night.
You should be posting here for yourself as an individual, not "people". Throwing one's support behind a particular candidate is one thing, but specifically soliciting on behalf of a candidate as you did is insulting and should IMO result in a ban.

Pay for an ad if you want contributions.

One more incentive for people to work harder and hold our future in our own hands, rather than relying on a bloated government. Forgive me for not willing to pay for somebody else's sex change operation.

Really. I suppose you better work harder getting your own water, building your own roads, generating, maintaining and delievering your own electricity, etc.

AoD

Back