News   Jul 30, 2024
 647     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 612     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Given that opposing the Spadina Expressway and the Airport Bridge have won elections before, I'd think putting that card on the table would be just asking someone to come out and start running an anti-airport bridge and anti-Spadina expressway tunnel.

If Ford has any sense he'd attack the Airport Bridge - I don't think he really cares about the issue one way or the other - he lives closer to Pearson. And perhaps the Spadina Expressway too (proposing perhaps to study alternatives that don't go through residential neighbouhoods).

I agree that somebody can come up with anti -SpadinaExpressway angle and make this the major election issue. That would be Pantalone. Ford can't do that without sending a segment of his voters to Rossi. Most of them want more highways and could care less about destroying Toronto neighbourhoods to get them.

Rossi is going after Ford and I really think it will work. I think that once a poll that studies this past week in the election comes out, it will show Rossi eating away at Ford's numbers.

We should have a pool on what he proposes next. Gardiner Expressway from DVP to Kingston Road? Replace the Eglinton RT with an expressway? Pave the Georgetown GO line with an expressway? Replace the ferries to the Island with road bridge from Cherry Street and a big parking lot? Join St. Clair East to St. Clair West? Connect Leslie from Eglinton to Leslieville? Build collector/express lanes down the DVP? Reduce parking rates? Build free parking lots at all TTC stations? Increase TTC fares to fund road construction? Remove streetcars? Restore the angled parking to Spadina? Increase speed limits? Remove road humps? Build a drive-through window at City Hall? Remove pedestrian cross-walks? Build an incinerator in Toronto?

some of those ideas are not bad nfitz... you should consider running... i'll vote for ya... :D

No candidate has mentioned anything about fixing the transit priority problem at the traffic signals along St. Clair and Spadina. The streetcar stops are on the farside of the intersection, but streetcars have to wait and wait, as single-occupancy cars making their left turns. I would like to hear from each candidate how they will force the transportation department to give us true transit priority signals, which the rest of the world uses.

Except from Rob Ford, of course.

This brilliant quote from Pantalone is in a nutshell what his campaign is about and why he has a good chance of winning:

They are running to lead a city they can’t stand. Well, I’ll be happy to save them the trouble. Torontonians deserve better.

I'm sorry, I don't think most Torontonians would want Diet Miller.

If there's anyone who TRULY cares about Toronto, that's Thomson, however we're unfortunately a pretty stupid bunch, and we never vote in the right people.. Oh well, y'all have nothing but yourselves to blame for what happens next!

^ Right. But polls show that Miller would clearly win the election if he decided to run.

I too like Thomson but I'm a supporter of the vision that Miller has been building towards and I, like many Torontonians know Joe would continue that.

To me, it comes down to whether Thomson can actually win. If she doesn't show visible signs of improvement in the polls, I'd rather help to stay the course than end up with Rob Ford.

^ Right. But polls show that Miller would clearly win the election if he decided to run.

I too like Thomson but I'm a supporter of the vision that Miller has been building towards and I, like many Torontonians know Joe would continue that.

To me, it comes down to whether Thomson can actually win. If she doesn't show visible signs of improvement in the polls, I'd rather help to stay the course than end up with Rob Ford.

Polls also show Ford winning, before they showed Smitherman winning, etc... Polls show a lot of things, but people change their minds quickly come voting day.

Miller has pissed a lot of people off with his Transit City fiasco (this forum is clearly not a good gauge on Toronto's opinion, since it's basically all downtown dwelling hipsters) and that alone makes most suburbanites bitter towards Pants. If we have 9 billion for right rail, we have 9 billion for subways; however Miller in his short-sightedness lost track of that.

You'd be surprised.. My friends who have no idea what is going on in the city, heard of it and cannot believe they're building streetcars to nowhere.

I'm just more worried about the mess on Bloor every time I take the line. The overcrowding is getting worse and worse, yet nobody wants to do anything about it.

Do your friends happen to have a friend who's aspergy enough about transit to have a big anti-Transit City avatar and custom title on a message forum? Because that might explain things.

I can't imagine anyone things Ford will be at the front of the polls come election, unless it's some bizarre 21/20/20/20/19 split
Imagine??? What happened to saying that one would have to be delusional to think Ford might win? You're getting soft!

This brilliant quote from Pantalone is in a nutshell what his campaign is about and why he has a good chance of winning:
If he could get his message out perhaps. It doesn't seem to be all over the media like Rossi and Ford are doing lately.

I'm sorry, I don't think most Torontonians would want Diet Miller.
What does that even mean? Is this some kind of joke about Ford's weight, or some kind of joke about the Japanese government? You seem to be referring to some in joke that is so cliquey many if not most people don't know what your talking about.

If there's anyone who TRULY cares about Toronto, that's Thomson, however we're unfortunately a pretty stupid bunch, and we never vote in the right people.. Oh well, y'all have nothing but yourselves to blame for what happens next!
Right ... Toronto who cares about Toronto so much that she wants to sell off our libraries ... because that will improve libraries ...

Back