News   Jul 24, 2024
 231     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 761     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 555     0 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

Adam Vaughan spoke to about a dozen faculty members and students at Ryerson University last year, and I got the impression that he would make an ideal mayor. I'm actually surprised that David Miller got the mayoral post, what made him so special? He seems too idealist and a bit of a pussy in terms of standing up for himself.

Smitherman and Rossi spend so much time bashing Ford and spend very little time talking about their platforms. For instance, I would personally like to know if they are in favour of taking down the Gardiner or leaving it up.

Hey Juan... perhaps that one debate was not reflective of individual platforms.

I can tell you as someone that's followed the race closely, Rossi has by far thrown out the most ideas and platform points. Definiately the most in terms of 'net new policy' ideas.

Adam Vaughan spoke to about a dozen faculty members and students at Ryerson University last year, and I got the impression that he would make an ideal mayor. I'm actually surprised that David Miller got the mayoral post, what made him so special? He seems too idealist and a bit of a pussy in terms of standing up for himself.

While I was too young to remember, I get the sense that Vaughan's reputation is very similar to that of David Miller when he was councillor. A hard-working, progressive policy-wonk who knew how to rally support from a fragmented centre - left/centre council. Alas, in the past seven years, Miller was seen as either too timid in his attempts at reform, or viewed as an iron-fisted commie dictator bent at milking the taxpayer of every dime and piece of lint in their pocket. Either way, neither group was satisfied.

As far as Vaughan is concerned, a run in 2014 is definitely possible, but his alleged downtown-centrism, espresso machine in office and square framed glasses won't do him any good beyond DT and Bedford Park.

Last edited:
Vaughan won't run... he has nothing to fall back to.

Plus he has NO political /populus vote to back him.

He's too happy pocketing developer and club money on the side to jump to mayoral races without any real heavyweigh backing.
He can't afford to be out of office...

He used to be Liberal/centrist... actually ran 'against' the regime, but once in, he's no different.
Just about lining his own pockets

Ford - Populous - non political soundbyte
Smitherman - Ontario liberals
Rossi - Federal and lots of well of business men.
Pantalone - NDP .

That's your backing...

and Vaughn - no liberal support anymroe.- no real big businesses.. perhaps the NDP, and that's a BIG perhaps...

Will be interesting to see.

You can truly only be 'independant' if you are a successful businessmen..

anyone else will have strings attached to it.

Last edited:
He's too happy pocketing developer and club money on the side to jump to mayoral races without any real heavyweigh backing

Good grief. Evidence please. Otherwise, cut the rhetoric. It makes you look foolish and diminishes any credible arguments you may have.

If you are referring to section 37 money, then sure. Vaughan's ward did get that, but that bylaw/rule has nothing to do with Vaughan. It was already in place. I am guessing that Vaughan's ward had more developments go up in it than any other part of Canada in the past 4 years, which would result in more section 37 dollars for those neighbourhoods.

While a new development would be applied for daily at the city, Vaughan set up a system to include community involvement (that could help steer s27 dollars) as well as enlisted the volunteer help of Ryerson planning students to help review areas of his ward (including the Annex) to see where future developments would be appropriate.

That sounds like a councillor any ward would love to have. I think he'd make a fantastic Mayor.

Last edited:
^Barf. I hope RF wins! Talking to more of the Forest Hill set over the past week, they've reached the same conclusion I have--the only sane choice is RF! They think the city is f***** and deserves to be Rob Fordized. Now, we all know that in reality, politicians don't change a damn thing, so even if Mayor Ford rants and raves about cutting costs, being pro-suburbanite etc, in reality, very little will change.

The Star publishes a "John Tory is thinking about it" piece every week or so. His wife is opposed to his running again. Ford will split the right vote, if he's not completely marginalized. I'll believe Tory is running when he says he will, not when he says he'll never say never, because he just said it twice.

Vaughan won't run... he has nothing to fall back to.

Plus he has NO political /populus vote to back him.

He's too happy pocketing developer and club money on the side to jump to mayoral races without any real heavyweigh backing.
He can't afford to be out of office...

He used to be Liberal/centrist... actually ran 'against' the regime, but once in, he's no different.
Just about lining his own pockets

Ford - Populous - non political soundbyte
Smitherman - Ontario liberals
Rossi - Federal and lots of well of business men.
Pantalone - NDP .

That's your backing...

and Vaughn - no liberal support anymroe.- no real big businesses.. perhaps the NDP, and that's a BIG perhaps...

Will be interesting to see.

You can truly only be 'independant' if you are a successful businessmen..

anyone else will have strings attached to it.

Is English your first language?

It's interesting that it was mentioned in the previous post referred to Vaughan having once been a person that ran against the regime but once in, he changed.

It's exactly what one of my friends in particular has been saying for some time. She has commented that he's been such a disappointment because before he when he was journalist, he stood against waste, abuse and corruption within the system commited by other policticians but once he was elected, he fell in line and became one of them.

Her opinion, not mine. I just don't know his history well enough to form any real opinion.

It's interesting that it was mentioned in the previous post referred to Vaughan having once been a person that ran against the regime but once in, he changed.

It's exactly what one of my friends in particular has been saying for some time. She has commented that he's been such a disappointment because before he when he was journalist, he stood against waste, abuse and corruption within the system commited by other policticians but once he was elected, he fell in line and became one of them.

Her opinion, not mine. I just don't know his history well enough to form any real opinion.

Funny, living in Vaughan's ward, I hardly view him as a failure. In fact, I see him as one of the most able of councillors who is prepared, informed, works very hard and readily accepts challenging questions (I know since I have asked him some). So exactly how is he a disappointment?

I think your friend never really understood Vaughan's rationale for getting onto council. It never was about being "against the regime." There is no "regime" on city council. That should be fairly obvious to anyone with a passing knowledge of city politics. The charge that he is now corrupt, abusive of power and wasteful is unfounded and requires clear evidence, otherwise it is merely a superficial and cynical opinion.

I'm out of the country right now but had to check in on UT. It's good to see the John Tory internal polls that I talked about a few pages back starting to pan out. Tory would be dumb not to run at this point since he definitely wants this job. Everybody's looking for new entrants to improve the current very uninspiring line up and Tory's internal polls put him well ahead in first place although not the 10% points ahead that he'd like to see to guarantee him a win.

Back