NEXT at Elgin East (Sequoia Grove Homes) - Real Estate

Glad to see some of you all have received occupancies. My firm occupancy is Feb 1 in building A. Will keep you posted for any updates.

My lawyer has asked me to setup my home owners insurance this week. Has anyone setup insurance yet? I've been calling some providers and they are asking very specific questions - e.g. what material is the condo wiring made of? Or do we have a monitored fire alarm system? Unsure how to answer these at the moment! Let me know if you have insights.

I just received an e-mail 10 minutes ago stating that the firm (so far) occupancy date for us is February 21, 2024.
I glad you got that email and thank you for sharing with everyone.
When was you PDI !?
I want to calculate my approximate occupancy date .
Tnx

Hi All,
New user here - 2nd floor Building A. I had my third firm occupancy date of Nov 21 prior to the indefinite delay. Jan 2nd I recieved an occupancy date of Jan 18th. This was a real date. The builder's lawyer received everything from mine at 9:30am Jan 18th, and at 4:30pm that day, the builders lawyer said that the builder was not in a position to close on the transaction, but they were hoping that it may be possible the next day. That said, I did receive my keys on Tuesday morning this week, and will move in tomorrow evening. Move in times are sparse in my opinion, and the elevator must be booked or you will be turned away (but apparently you can use the stairs). Of course I received this information after my keys were released, which was 5 days after my occupancy date. I have no idea where the truck is allowed to stop and unload, and no idea where the cardboard disposal is.
With respect to insurance, my lawyer told me that the builder was requiring a binder dated for the occupancy date. Until you have a move in time booked, you don't know when you will move in, and the insurance company probably won't insure a vacant unit, so it's messy. I told the insurance broker (I used broker link and it's a tennant policy)I was planning to move in on Jan 18th because at that time I had no idea about the available move in times. I quite honestly just ran out of steam and didn't bother calling the insurance company when the vendor failed to release the keys on the 18th.
When I picked up the keys, I was able to enter the unit. Of the plethora of defects in my unit, it seemed like they had only painted the walls and installed the shower doors. In addition, they had left my closet doors partially detached, and my kitchen island was no longer flush against the floor, so it has enough wobble that it's in no way useful. I was told that would probably be fixed on Tuesday, so I'll find out tomorrow. And my parking spot is far enough that I need to add the walk to my commute time.
Sorry for the lengthy note, but occupancy is close for for all of you as well.

Hi All,
New user here - 2nd floor Building A. I had my third firm occupancy date of Nov 21 prior to the indefinite delay. Jan 2nd I recieved an occupancy date of Jan 18th. This was a real date. The builder's lawyer received everything from mine at 9:30am Jan 18th, and at 4:30pm that day, the builders lawyer said that the builder was not in a position to close on the transaction, but they were hoping that it may be possible the next day. That said, I did receive my keys on Tuesday morning this week, and will move in tomorrow evening. Move in times are sparse in my opinion, and the elevator must be booked or you will be turned away (but apparently you can use the stairs). Of course I received this information after my keys were released, which was 5 days after my occupancy date. I have no idea where the truck is allowed to stop and unload, and no idea where the cardboard disposal is.
With respect to insurance, my lawyer told me that the builder was requiring a binder dated for the occupancy date. Until you have a move in time booked, you don't know when you will move in, and the insurance company probably won't insure a vacant unit, so it's messy. I told the insurance broker (I used broker link and it's a tennant policy)I was planning to move in on Jan 18th because at that time I had no idea about the available move in times. I quite honestly just ran out of steam and didn't bother calling the insurance company when the vendor failed to release the keys on the 18th.
When I picked up the keys, I was able to enter the unit. Of the plethora of defects in my unit, it seemed like they had only painted the walls and installed the shower doors. In addition, they had left my closet doors partially detached, and my kitchen island was no longer flush against the floor, so it has enough wobble that it's in no way useful. I was told that would probably be fixed on Tuesday, so I'll find out tomorrow. And my parking spot is far enough that I need to add the walk to my commute time.
Sorry for the lengthy note, but occupancy is close for for all of you as well.
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It’ll help the rest of us go in with eyes wide open. Hopefully your move in went better than your previous experience. We are on the 7th floor with an occupancy date of Feb 8 but our lawyers still haven’t received the occupancy paperwork, just an email from the builder indicating the occupancy date.

Last evening I swung by Building A and B since there are people moving in & I wondered what the situation was like. There were a few lights on in Building A, mostly 2nd & 3rd floor. David Eyer Road is now open so I turned in and pulled into the condo driveway. It looked like the ramp to the underground was operating. There was a moving truck backed up to the move-in area so someone was moving in last night. I couldn’t see much of the lobby, although I could see someone sitting at the concierge desk talking to someone and the tarps that were covering everything in the lobby when we had our PDI in December were gone. There were still a couple of mobile cranes parked by the main entrance.

As I wrote before we have unit at 9th floor our PDI is Feb 2nd and yesterday we received a letter that our firm occupancy date will be Feb 28th .
Pls make us update about situation over there If you will receive your unit before 28th.🙂

Hi everyone, I've been following this thread for a while now! I have my firm occupancy on Feb 8 with a 1+1 unit about 650 sqft. Does anyone with the same/similar unit know how much occupancy fees will be? I still do not have any information from the builder despite occupancy being next week.

We also have a firm occupancy date of Feb 8. Our lawyers received a bunch of occupancy documents during the week of Feb 22 but the package was missing the interim statement and preparation instructions. As of yesterday, the lawyers still hadn’t received the interim statement. So we haven’t heard definitively about fees either. It seems like the builder is madly trying to get everyone’s occupancy done in February.

I'm looking forward to hearing anyone's move-in experience, especially about how the fixes and completion of all things that were found during the PDI are fulfilled.

I'm looking forward to hearing anyone's move-in experience, especially about how the fixes and completion of all things that were found during the PDI are fulfilled.

I haven't moved in yet, scheduled for occupancy in July. But I had some free time on Saturday and decided to drive into the development and have a look around.

Unfortunately my phone battery died when I was there so didn't get a chance to take any pictures, but while I was walking around looking at the town's I met this couple who were moving in.

We started talking and they had mentioned that it seems that none of the defects from the PDI were resolved prior to them moving in.

Some of the issues they said that had were.
-no hot water, just lukewarm
-floor moulding was not straight and were curved
-floor in about 3 areas were not leveled and very easy to notice.
-the floor panel for the washer /dryer was broken and could not be clipped in as all the tabs were torn off
-electrical outlet missing from upgraded island
This wasn't really a defect, but they mentioned that the stove, the flat top, and the fridge were tiny and expected it to be bigger.

Also, I'm assuming many if us got a notice about the sink in the powder room having to not have a counter anymore. This sink is literally so small, there is not even enough room to put a soap dispenser on it. It's a small triangle shaped in the corner wall and is about the side of a Kleenex box..maybe just a bit bigger.

Another member asked about occupancy fees for a condo unit, which I don't know, but I asked them approximately what their occupancy fees were for the townhouse and they mentioned over $4k... So the $4500 someone mentioned seems to be the going rate

To me, it seems that the builder really cut corners in the finishing as they wanted to complete occupancy... Based on what I'm seeing here and what I found out on Saturday, I'm disappointed with the builder and the lack of communication which they are providing to everyone, and all the corners they seem to have cut just to get people to take occupancy. I'm a bit worried now for when July comes around.

Another thing I noticed while I was walking around. Near the middle height of each townhouse block, there is a number on the exterior wall. These numbers don't seem to correlate to the block numbers of each bank of townhouse - so if anyone can shed some light on what those numbers are that would be great. For eg, I believe Block 1 had a number sign in the will as 10. Block 2, had a number sign of 11...

Last edited:
Our lawyers finally received the financial statement from the builder’s lawyers this morning which is pretty late given that our occupancy is supposed to be Thursday. Luckily I freed up some assets last week so that I would have money available for the occupancy fees. In our case, the builder was using an annual interest rate of 7.84% on the outstanding balance to calculate the monthly occupancy fee, plus an estimate of property tax and maintenance fees.
It will be interesting to see if we get the keys on Thursday since someone posted on this forum that they had to wait a few days before they could actually get into their unit.

Back