News   Apr 18, 2024
 513     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 4K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.2K     4 

News from across Europe

Catalan separatist leaders given lengthy prison sentences

Nine leaders cleared of violent rebellion but found guilty of lesser crimes over roles in 2017 independence referendum
Sam Jones in Madrid and Stephen Burgen in Barcelona

Mon 14 Oct 2019 10.42 BST

Bulgaria v England: Euro 2020 qualifier halted twice due to racist behaviour from fans

England's Euro 2020 qualifier in Bulgaria was halted twice as fans were warned about racist behaviour including Nazi salutes and monkey chanting.

Anti-Semitism on the rise in the EU

By Bernd Riegert (Brussels)

Research clearly shows that anti-Semitic abuse and violence is increasing in the EU. Following last week's anti-Semitic attack in Halle, Germany, the EU has urged decisive action. Bernd Riegert reports from Brussels.

New Catalan vote on independence is inevitable, says jailed leader

Oriol Junqueras says crisis ‘must be resolved via ballot boxes’ as protesters clash with police
Sam Jones in Madrid
Tue 15 Oct 2019 10.22 BSTFirst published on Tue 15 Oct 2019 08.30 BST

Bulgaria v England racism: Bulgarian prime minister calls for football chief to resign

The Bulgarian prime minister has called for the head of the country's football association to resign after England players were racially abused in a European qualifier in Sofia on Monday.

Bulgaria v England: Police arrest four following racist abuse at Euro qualifier

Four Bulgarian football fans suspected of subjecting black England players to racist abuse have been detained following police raids.

Police clash with Catalonia protesters in second night of violence

Spanish government warns of ‘firm response’ to pro-independence unrest

Sam Jones in Madrid and Stephen Burgen in Barcelona
Wed 16 Oct 2019 09.30 BST

When will governments, especially in western democracies like Spain, learn that a "firm response" will only anger people and therefore strengthen the Catalonian independence movement, something they apparently want to avoid happening? The stupidity of the central government's approach baffles me.

The end result of any heavy handed policy will be the break up of Spain.

30 years after communism, eastern Europe divided on democracy's impact

Pew research reveals very different views on whether countries are better off today

Jon Henley Europe correspondent
Tue 15 Oct 2019 15.00 BST

I have family in Hungary who lived through Communism, my Grandmother fled Hungary during the 1956 Revolution and I have cousins who fled Hungary via Austria in 1989. They all believe Hungary was better off during Communism than it was after Soviet Union collapsed. .

That view is changing now that the EU has come into play but the older generation still remembers the days where the state gave a good pension, treated the people well and provided for them. Now that communism has fallen, Hungary is a small fish in a big tank. They are not as important as they once were and the quality of life has gone down. Slowly things are getting better thanks to the EU but it is not as it once was.

Back