News   Jun 03, 2024
 207     0 
News   May 31, 2024
 1.2K     9 
News   May 31, 2024
 4K     2 

New University...where should it go?

Parc Downsview Park?

Not sure whether or not you were being sarcastic here, but I'd second Parc Downsview Park. Dtwn Toronto already has 2 universities and I don't see much value in adding a third. PDP certainly has the space, is well served by transit, and would go along way in adding to the nascent redevelopment planned for PDP. Additionally, I think most of these 40,000 students would probably come from the 416 itself, so placing the university just about in the center of the city makes a lot of sense. It's proxmity to York is another plus, in that it takes a lot of stress off that institution, as well as the other colleges in universities in the GTA. Would also make recruiting faculty a heck of a lot easier being in the city, rather than in the surrounding regions. This is probably also true of the univeristy's ability partner with other institutions/business etc. in terms of research, fund raising etc.

I like the idea of a feeder college. These colleges could offer two-year Associate's degrees or four-year Bachelor's degrees, with the option of switching to a university after second year.

I would prefer for it to be in an urban location. Maybe be they can repurpose the half-round for this!

What about the site of the demolished Lakeview Generating Station? It could be cleaned up real nice - with an awesome location right on the lake and in between Marie Curtis Park, Lakeshore Promenade Park and the new Arsenal Lands park. The Long Branch Go Train station is right there, and the 501 Streetcar ends there too. Sherway Gardens is 5 minutes away. The only negative is the smelly sewage treatment plant at the base of Dixie. But hey, if Palace Pier/Palace Park, with million-dollar condos, can be right next to Humber sewage, why can't a posh new university?

Downsview Park is too close to York U. The former Lakeview Generating Station lands are most likely going to contain a new gas-fired plant.

Ryerson not interested in Waterfront

from theeyeopener.com,

After weeks of discussion, Ryerson will not expand its campus beyond the safety of its established home in Toronto’s downtown core.

Last month, Waterfront Toronto announced that an academic institution would indeed be taking over an undeveloped plot of land beside the Redpath Sugar refinery. But, it won’t be Ryerson.

“We had a number of discussions with the people at the Waterfront, and I think at the end of it, we concluded that there is opportunity to develop the campus in the downtown area,†said university President Sheldon Levy, who most recently bought the old Future Shop property on Yonge Street. “In other words, where we are, and [in an area] that is not disconnected from us.â€

Levy showed considerable enthusiasm about the project over the summer, sharing his plans with Maclean’s magazine for a waterfront campus with “life and excitement,†complete with residences, sports fields and cafés. The university had been in talks with Waterfront Toronto (formerly the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) last summer to negotiate Ryerson’s acquisition of the area on Queen’s Quay between Jarvis and Sherbourne streets for the possible second campus.

Waterfront Toronto spokesperson Marisa Piattelli told the National Post last month that the area Ryerson was hoping to acquire has been secured by a school and declined to say which, but did confirm that she had also had discussions with the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD), and the nearby George Brown College.

“We are in discussions with an academic institution,†she told the Post, “which will end in a good deal for all.â€
But Peter Caldwell, VP Administration at OCAD, said his school is not interested in the property.

“It’s not OCAD,†he said. “We don’t have any specific plans to do something at the waterfront.â€

The designs for the new building were produced by Montreal firm Daoust Lestage, who was unavailable for comment.
There has been talk of Ryerson’s population increasing by 10,000 students in the next four to five years. But Levy has determined that it’s best to keep development close to home. He is concentrating more closely on expropriating the now-defunct Sam the Record Man building and on Ryerson’s Master Plan, which includes the revitalization of the university’s main thoroughfare, Gould Street.

“If we were to go [to the waterfront], it might be for strategic reason and might be part of a joint venture,†he says. “But as far as a [second] campus, I don’t think there is any interest for a suburba or another downtown campus, and we’re not planning that. Not at the moment.â€

from theeyeopener.com,

After weeks of discussion, Ryerson will not expand its campus beyond the safety of its established home in Toronto’s downtown core.

Last month, Waterfront Toronto announced that an academic institution would indeed be taking over an undeveloped plot of land beside the Redpath Sugar refinery. But, it won’t be Ryerson.

“We had a number of discussions with the people at the Waterfront, and I think at the end of it, we concluded that there is opportunity to develop the campus in the downtown area,†said university President Sheldon Levy, who most recently bought the old Future Shop property on Yonge Street. “In other words, where we are, and [in an area] that is not disconnected from us.â€

Levy showed considerable enthusiasm about the project over the summer, sharing his plans with Maclean’s magazine for a waterfront campus with “life and excitement,†complete with residences, sports fields and cafés. The university had been in talks with Waterfront Toronto (formerly the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation) last summer to negotiate Ryerson’s acquisition of the area on Queen’s Quay between Jarvis and Sherbourne streets for the possible second campus.

Waterfront Toronto spokesperson Marisa Piattelli told the National Post last month that the area Ryerson was hoping to acquire has been secured by a school and declined to say which, but did confirm that she had also had discussions with the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD), and the nearby George Brown College.

“We are in discussions with an academic institution,†she told the Post, “which will end in a good deal for all.â€
But Peter Caldwell, VP Administration at OCAD, said his school is not interested in the property.

“It’s not OCAD,†he said. “We don’t have any specific plans to do something at the waterfront.â€

The designs for the new building were produced by Montreal firm Daoust Lestage, who was unavailable for comment.
There has been talk of Ryerson’s population increasing by 10,000 students in the next four to five years. But Levy has determined that it’s best to keep development close to home. He is concentrating more closely on expropriating the now-defunct Sam the Record Man building and on Ryerson’s Master Plan, which includes the revitalization of the university’s main thoroughfare, Gould Street.

“If we were to go [to the waterfront], it might be for strategic reason and might be part of a joint venture,†he says. “But as far as a [second] campus, I don’t think there is any interest for a suburban or another downtown campus, and we’renot planning that. Not at the moment.â€

Sweet! We got the old Future Shop!

McMaster University has apparently decided to put their new business school in Burlington, on South Service Road near Appleby Line. They are reported to be negotiating to purchase a site.

Mac had originally talked about using a site in downtown Burlington, just east of Brant Street, but decided against it a few months ago. It now seems they are putting a high premium on accessibility by car, which has apparently trumped the opportunity to contribute to the revitalizing of downtown Burlington.

another lost oppurtunity

It sounds like another permanent blunder on the scale of OUIT is being made. I wonder who owns the land they are negotiating for?

As for Lakeview sewage treatment plant, it going to be expanded and the old coal plant turn into a Gas plant.

McMaster University has apparently decided to put their new business school in Burlington, on South Service Road near Appleby Line. They are reported to be negotiating to purchase a site.

Mac had originally talked about using a site in downtown Burlington, just east of Brant Street, but decided against it a few months ago. It now seems they are putting a high premium on accessibility by car, which has apparently trumped the opportunity to contribute to the revitalizing of downtown Burlington.

I am disappointed they jumped ship on the downtown Burlington campus. While it's true the rumoured location is much more accessible by car, it will be also be adjacent to the Appleby GO station, making it more accessible by transit (assuming an easy walking connection is available between the two).

I would put the new university either south of Dundas at East Mall, Tapiscot & Passmore, or in the Portlands. East Mall and 427 would have a future extension of the Bloor line, a GO line, MT Transit access, and residential developments at Kipling, Sherway, and along East and West Mall to draw from. Tapiscot & Passmore has more empty land and could push the GO Peterborough line to start. The Portlands would option would kickstart development in the area.

is there even a need for a Go Peterborough line? It's essentially an isolated dying city. If anyone has driven the 115, you know that there really isn't that much of a market for a link to the GTA.

I still contend that a new university needs to be put in a city in need of economic transition. Not act as a catalyst for building new transit lines. But, by all means, put it in Niagara Falls or Welland and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Back