2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

New University Graduate moving to toronto

L

L.R.

First off: This is cross posted in the "Neigbourhood Node" section as well... Im just unsure as to which place is more appropriate/more likely to get responses. If a mod has an issue with this, feel free to delete whichever one. And now:

Hi everyone, new poster, and hopefully new to toronto as well.

I am just about to graduate from university, and am moving to toronto to start a career/leave the maritimes. Im looking for some advice on a number of fronts.

First off: Where to live? I'd like to live where the action is, one could say, and at a affordable rate. Im moving without an actual job lined up, so a central location is the best. As well, perhaps in an area
more friendly to, or prevalent with; a young demographic. Im still in myearly 20s, and want to make the most out of toronto before responsibilites hit in full force. I moving with another 1-2 roomates, same age, though employed in the financial district.

BTW: Im still not familiar with how city layouts work... for example, somone suggested Yonge and Eglinton, and that is fairly meaningless to me, as I have no clue as to what area that entails.

Secondly... How much money should I move with?
Im graduating with a degree in sociology, with no job prospects, and not into a very forgiving economy. I'll work part time while job searchingbut I have no idea how long that will take, nor the costs of daily life in toronto. Any financial advice is most appreciated.

Thirdly...... Any advice whatsoever to a new kid to a big city. Any type of heads
up, or ideas on how to make the best out of it, would be great.

Thanks and regards.

L.R.

I remember what it was like to live in Toronto on practically nothing. Here is my advice:

1. Neighbourhood: If you don't have a job, Yonge and Eglinton is out of your price range. It mostly caters to young, single professionals and you can expect to pay $200 more for an equivalent-sized apartment over other parts of the city.

My personal recommendation is to get a roommate and live somewhere near Bloor and Ossington, which is bikable to just about anywhere downtown you would need to go and close to the subway just in case you need to go further. Also, don't bother getting a transit pass because it's really too damn expensive ($121 makes it the most expensive on the continent); just keep some tokens in your wallet just in case and walk/bike everywhere.

Jobs: to get you on your feet, try getting a job at Starbucks. They're a respectable place to work if you're looking for a service industry job and treat they their employees respectfully. They also have a fairly good benefis package, considering you're working a cash register and serving coffee. It's a great place to work while you're looking for somewhere more serious.

2. Money:

You need to pay first and last month's rent; so, assuming you'll be rooming with someone, bring $600 X 2 + $500 living cash to get you through the first month. So that would be $1,700. That's pretty tight.

3. Other advice:

- see above job recommendation. Also, don't try working at an independent mom and pop coffee shop or store. They may often disregard how many hours you work, ask you to do things you really should not be doing and lack the accountability that a well-known chain can provide.
- Chinatown has the cheapest/freshest produce
- use Craigslist wherever possible to find stuff/buy stuff.
- Toronto has a lot of cheap restaurants ($5-$10) which you should dutifully avoid if you want to live on a budget. It might seem tempting to give in to a $7 bento box lunch but if you're on a fixed income, that adds up very quickly.

Welcome!

I met so many Maritimers throughout my career who moved to Toronto (and eventually returning home after they made their mark). Anyways, great to have more of you here.

I suggest going to www.mapquest.ca or google maps and type in 1 Yonge Street. Then scroll around to get a sense of the major intersections. Use Yonge Street as your point of reference.

I recommend at least $2000 grand to take with you and that should last the first month or so. The Toronto Public Library is a great resource to look for jobs and you get access to free Internet and Free WiFi (if you have a laptop). It's a great place to find out what's going on in the city. Pick up a local paper, or online, to check out entertainment listings (i.e. NOW Magazine or EYE Weekly)

This is obviously not a great time to hunt for work but you should be able to find something that you can settle until you eventually find something better. If serving coffee is not your cup of tea, I suggest hitting the recruiting firms like Robert Half, Adecco, Accountemps, etc. where they can place you in office type jobs. Most jobs are contract work but they can eventually lead to full-time. These recruiting firms tend to siphon off quite a bit of your hourly wage so make sure the final hourly wage (net their fees) is an amount you're happy with.

Are you on www.Linkedin.com? It's sort of the Facebook for Working stiffs. You may be able to find a Network on Linkedin for Maritimers or Alumni from your school who can hook you up with a job in Toronto.

As for city living, it's really how you want it to be. You can hit the pretentious/unpretentious downtown night spots; hang out at the suburban malls and strip plazas; or escape the city and head to the many satellite towns and cities surrounding the GTA. Hey, whatever rocks your boat. But I really recommend just walking around downtown and checking out the neighbourhoods. It's safe to walk everywhere but use common sense of course, don't walk into an area you don't feel comfortable in!

If you're moving at the start of the summer, I would suggest your first stop be Tartu College Student Rez cheap, middle of everything, and you have a set deadline for when you need to be out (the fall when full time students come back. Just make sure to get the student rate. Choosing a neighborhood from afar is something I wouldn't recommend. Before you really have time to walk around it is hard to know the scale of the city, and how far it is ok to be from a subway station or a grocery store and walk (for your financial district working friends).

Thanks for the advice. Im in the same boat. I looked into the residence option, and I may very well take it. It seems somewhat funny that the first months outside of university will be spent in another rez.... but thats life haha.

Right now Ive saved around 2k for toronto, though I expect graduation to eat into that before I leave. Hopefully Ill find some work rather quickly there.

Last edited:
Im graduating with a degree in sociology, with no job prospects, and not into a very forgiving economy. I'll work part time while job searchingbut I have no idea how long that will take, nor the costs of daily life in toronto. Any financial advice is most appreciated.

With all due respect, are you crazy? 100% of your savings will be eaten up by moving and transportation costs, first and last month's rent, and about a week's worth of food. You may have to work 2 part time jobs just to get by, and will need to start work immediately.All the while you'll be underemployed, stressed out because you have no money, and will neither have the means nor the time to actually enjoy the city.

If you want some financial advice, stay at home for 6 months. When you do move to Toronto, do so with money and job experience. This will improve your chances of finding a half decent job, and will allow you to live without the urgency of finding a job immediately.

Is it really that bad?
I have the actual transportation to Toronto covered, as well as moving in to my own place looked after as well.(Ya friends...)

I was thinking a guy could get by on 3k for several months. (if subsidised by part-time work)

Then you're fine. 3000 is no problem to get by on for 3 months until you find some good work. Just don't go wasting 100 bucks at a club one night.

That's a relief. I'm no longer a drinker (4th year studies are to blame), and I'm not a party guy by and large either. Im thinking 1200 for first and last rent (tartu college rez), plus 1000 for food/transportation for 3 months. That leaves a base to get by on for the first 2 months, and time to find a part-time job for my 3rd-4th months rent, plus 4th months food/transport. By that time I hope to have found full time employment.

Like I mentioned in the other thread you started, go apply to Porter. You have a uni degree so you're easily are qualified.

You'd be better off moving to Calgary. Alberta is the future. Toronto is the never was. Plus they have real skiing out west.

haha, perhaps.... But Toronto, as of now, has more to offer. Plus; having roommates already lined up helps save money as well.

You'd be better off moving to Calgary. Alberta is the future. Toronto is the never was. Plus they have real skiing out west.

Yes, surely no one can dispute such a sound argument.

/And don't call me Shirley

If you want some financial advice, stay at home for 6 months. When you do move to Toronto, do so with money and job experience. This will improve your chances of finding a half decent job, and will allow you to live without the urgency of finding a job immediately.

If there was anywhere at home that I could earn money outside of manual labour, I would. I live in a farming community, nothing to help on a resume.

There are many of the things that may be some negative as well as some good aspects also. But in the end Toronto is one of the most fascinating city in Canada, may be its location wise or beauty spot-wise or even carrier wise. If given a chance one must go for it.

Back