New TTC Bus Driver Shields

wyliepoon

Member Bio
Reaction score
Coming to a TTC bus near you...

3505552147_18847cd88c_b.jpg

3506361508_1bfeb56463_b.jpg

3505551807_c983111016_b.jpg

^131 Nugget in Scarborough. The bus number is 1130.

I took the photos while it was at Kennedy Station during the afternoon rush hour. Coincidentally Kennedy has a reputation as one of the most dangerous subway stations in Toronto.

I saw one early last week on the 25 Don Mills, but the driver left the shield open.

Remarkable, buses in Chicago still don't have any shields, but taxis do (the middle section is open or closed)

Maybe the new shields can keep the drivers in their seats and not allow them to go grab a coffee during the middle of their route.

I saw on on 512 on Sunday and the driver had the top open.

I heard there has been some driver injury by these doors and a bit of safty concens.

Leave it to the TTC and ATU 113 to find a way for drivers to get injured by something that was supposedly meant to protect them.

Most drivers I heard do not use the shield during the day and even at night unless they are in a bad area.

They would usually know where you pick up the trashy people anyway at night.

I saw one of those new shields today. They are dangerous! The driver had them both open, and the upper one fits well in the aisle, but the lower one is metal, and even when tied into position, is a safety hazard, as it's got lots of metal pieces sticking out, and you can walk into it while trying to get to the entrance.

Very dangerous - anyone got the phone number for the TTC H&S department so I can report an incident?

Finally saw a shield in the 'closed' position. This was Friday afternoon around 3-4pm on the Steeles East route, not exactly the most dangerous time of day or on one of the city's most dangerous routes. Maybe the driver's shielding himself from all the noise that school kids make at that time of day on the bus.

3576945697_14b3945c18_b.jpg

I saw one of those new shields today. They are dangerous! The driver had them both open, and the upper one fits well in the aisle, but the lower one is metal, and even when tied into position, is a safety hazard, as it's got lots of metal pieces sticking out, and you can walk into it while trying to get to the entrance.

Very dangerous - anyone got the phone number for the TTC H&S department so I can report an incident?

Nearly tore my coat last week on an open door with the bottom string tie to the handle.

The 3rd bus I have been on with a door and it was on 49.

I've seen these sheilds on quite a few busses now, and they are always open. To me that's a good sign, because it means more open communication with the driver. But I then have to ask "What was the whole point of this?". It was just a huge waste of money :confused:

Back