News   May 17, 2024
 62     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 114     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.1K     4 

New Transit Funding Sources

only something like 36% of Fords 2010 donations actually came from inside of Toronto. Ford was absolutely backed by suburban donors.

According to this detailed analysis, one-third of all Ford campaign contributions came from outside Toronto.

I don't get the sense that "905ers" are funding campaigns (RoFo or otherwise) in the Toronto municipal elections.

there are stats for that? surprising.

This is all old news. A real "fan" would be paying closer attention. :p

Last edited:
only something like 36% of Fords 2010 donations actually came from inside of Toronto. Ford was absolutely backed by suburban donors.

You got it backwards, as others have pointed out.

Anyways this is something that rubs me the wrong way. He probably got more money outside of Toronto than he did within the old City of Toronto. I don't understand why people outside of the city are allowed to influence our elections. There should be a rule against this kind of thing.

You got it backwards, as others have pointed out.

Anyways this is something that rubs me the wrong way. He probably got more money outside of Toronto than he did within the old City of Toronto. I don't understand why people outside of the city are allowed to influence our elections. There should be a rule against this kind of thing.

Intuitively, I think you are right....but what about a guy that lives, say, in Mississauga but owns/runs a business within the city....should that guy not be allowed to support a candidate in Toronto that he feels is good for his business? What about a Toronto municipal employee that lives, say, in Whitby and wants to support a candidate that is more labour friendly...should they not be allowed to support a candidate that aligns with their views?

Intuitively, I think you are right....but what about a guy that lives, say, in Mississauga but owns/runs a business within the city....should that guy not be allowed to support a candidate in Toronto that he feels is good for his business? What about a Toronto municipal employee that lives, say, in Whitby and wants to support a candidate that is more labour friendly...should they not be allowed to support a candidate that aligns with their views?

You bring up a good point.. IIRC in London (UK), anybody who owns a small business within the city is eligible to vote. This is a system that I'd be willing to consider for Toronto.

My problem is with the people that have no direct relations to Toronto influencing the election. I'm not so concerned with people who have actual business with the City of Toronto donating to campaigns.

You bring up a good point.. IIRC in London (UK), anybody who owns a small business within the city is eligible to vote. This is a system that I'd be willing to consider for Toronto.

My problem is with the people that have no direct relations to Toronto influencing the election. I'm not so concerned with people who have actual business with the City of Toronto donating to campaigns.

It is a tough line to draw though...how do you define the bolded part.

If you work or go to school (etc...) in the city.

I wonder how much of the 1/3 of Ford's 2010 support fit that bill? I would bet a lot.....if I did not live in Toronto and did not work/run a business/go to school there, I can't imagine why I would care about/donate to a candidate for Mayor there.

I wonder how much of the 1/3 of Ford's 2010 support fit that bill? I would bet a lot....

I agree.

.if I did not live in Toronto and did not work/run a business/go to school there, I can't imagine why I would care about/donate to a candidate for Mayor there.

I suppose to support the Ford Nation cause. Stick it to the free-spending lefties.

I agree.

I suppose to support the Ford Nation cause. Stick it to the free-spending lefties.

If, say (making up numbers), 2/3 of the 1/3 of the outside Toronto support for Ford met the employment/business ownership/studying "test" you and i agreed on is the balance really worth worrying about? wouldn't a left wing candidate see a similar level of support from people hoping to stick it to those righties? Does it influence the election that significantly either way?

I wonder how much of the 1/3 of Ford's 2010 support fit that bill? I would bet a lot.....if I did not live in Toronto and did not work/run a business/go to school there, I can't imagine why I would care about/donate to a candidate for Mayor there.

Are you seriously this obtuse, or are you just trolling?

1. You started by saying that you didn't think it was happening at all, and now you're saying that it's okay that it is happening (notwithstanding your initial denial) because of "facts" you're guessing are true. But the last time you guessed about facts, you were wrong.

2. If I were looking to benefit from political corruption, I can think of a good reason why I would want to donate to a campaign for a politician from whom I was hoping to obtain favourable treatment. And I don't have a very good imagination.

Are you seriously this obtuse, or are you just trolling?

Not sure why you are getting so aggressive or what I did to attract that.

1. You started by saying that you didn't think it was happening at all, and now you're saying that it's okay that it is happening (notwithstanding your initial denial) because of "facts" you're guessing are true. But the last time you guessed about facts, you were wrong.

I started by expressing doubt that many people in the 905 were funding Toronto Mayoral campaigns....then I expressed surprise that it was as high as one poster thought it was (64%...since corrected by other posters).

That led to a pleasant discussion between myself and another poster wherein I actually agreed that it is intuitive that limiting donations to only people that live in a jurisdiction should be able to contribute within that jursidiction but that limitation raises a complication around people (of any political stripe/bias) who may live outside that jurisdiction but work/own businesses/go to school in a jurisdiction where they do not live. The other poster and I seemed to agree that it was probably fair that those circumstances make donations ok...then we wondered, and agree, that it makes sense that "a lot" of RoFo's 1/3 of donations sourced outside 416 likely meet that test. The only "guessing" was when I suggested that if "a lot" was 2/3 that the remaining 1/3 of the 1/3 was probably not that significant.

So, not sure why you would jump into a discussion like that and start name calling....but that's fine.

I don't understand Wynne's logic at all with the transit tax flip-flopping. Asking only a specific group of people to pay for the entirety of public transit infrastructure doesn't make any sense. As a middle-income earner with a family who will be affected by her decision, I had been planning to vote for her, but will likely not be voting out of protest instead (I don't know if I can stomach voting for Hudak).

What is so bad with allowing individual cities to collect a 0.5% sales tax, if desired, exclusively to fund transit projects again? As far as I know, Los Angeles does this. One benefit is that as soon as you institute such a sales tax, you can borrow against future predictable revenues from it and start building immediately. So everyone who will be benefiting from the transit pays for it, including tourists when visiting the city, and people in other parts of the province don't pay anything. Instead, people in Toronto who kill themselves to afford to live here and raise a family in the city get punished some more. I don't understand. And don't try to twist my words into some judgment on any particular group of people not working hard enough. I already work 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week to live here and not see my kids. I don't need Wynne taking an even higher percentage of my salary too.

I have met Wynne a few times, and like her personally, but this policy stinks, and may result in the Liberals losing a significant portion of the core Toronto vote they usually count on.

Not sure why you are getting so aggressive or what I did to attract that.

I started by expressing doubt that many people in the 905 were funding Toronto Mayoral campaigns....then I expressed surprise that it was as high as one poster thought it was (64%...since corrected by other posters).

That led to a pleasant discussion between myself and another poster wherein I actually agreed that it is intuitive that limiting donations to only people that live in a jurisdiction should be able to contribute within that jursidiction but that limitation raises a complication around people (of any political stripe/bias) who may live outside that jurisdiction but work/own businesses/go to school in a jurisdiction where they do not live. The other poster and I seemed to agree that it was probably fair that those circumstances make donations ok...then we wondered, and agree, that it makes sense that "a lot" of RoFo's 1/3 of donations sourced outside 416 likely meet that test. The only "guessing" was when I suggested that if "a lot" was 2/3 that the remaining 1/3 of the 1/3 was probably not that significant.

So, not sure why you would jump into a discussion like that and start name calling....but that's fine.

I have certainly questioned your behaviour, but what "name" have I "called" you? And if it's "fine", why are you complaining?

Wait a sec. Now you're getting things wrong intentionally, and turning your own errors into accusations. And you're going all passive-aggressive. It's better for me to to just stop engaging. I know that smell...

I have certainly questioned your behaviour, but what "name" have I "called" you? And if it's "fine", why are you complaining?

Wait a sec. Now you're getting things wrong intentionally, and turning your own errors into accusations. And you're going all passive-aggressive. It's better for me to to just stop engaging. I know that smell...
My apologies....I thought by asking me if I was trolling you were calling me a troll.

Yeah, better if we don't engage.

Back