News   Jul 18, 2024
 355     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 508     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 858     0 

New Transit Funding Sources

I thought the whole purpose of Metrolinx was to promote regional transit and also to find funding. I believe the province has raised the annual drivers licence fees and vehicle registration recently - I imagine that will all go towards transit. There is also the Carbon Tax (cap and trade) that is being added next year - more money for transit. The question is, how many different times do we have to pay for transit.

I'm sick of irresponsible government of all stripes. When the NDP won the provincial election to great fanfare under Rhodes scholar Bob Rae, they immediately started spending like drunken sailors. By the end of their first term the best that they could promise was that health care would be salvaged. The Liberals are on a similar trajectory over a longer period of time. They indulged the public sector, paying back the voters who elected them, then dug the biggest money pits in the province: ehealth, ORNG, the gas plant cancelation...The government has been burning the furniture to stay afloat: the health care tax, the sell off of Ontario Hydro, the price increases on every government permit: driver's license renewal stickers, land transfer taxes...The conservatives sold off provincial assets like the 407 to pay last month's rent. It would be refreshing to have government that doesn't leave structural debt, mismanagement, scandals, and a looter mentality as its legacy. Tory is cut from the same cloth. There is nothing revenue neutral about his road tolls. We'll pay twice, first through taxes then through user fees, pretending we're getting something new and improved the second time around.

Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 10m10 minutes ago
Mammoliti motion to ask Metrolinx to assume responsibility for the TTC fails 16-26.
CzmXgKlWIAARnAG.jpg:large

People oppose all these things but don't come up with anything which will match the funding.
He is projecting, what, $136MM from tolls? What portion of 1% of a property tax hike would it take to raise that amount of money?

I am not opposed to tolls per se....but I am absolutely fascinated that a mayor would throw debate in his city/region into such angry discussion over such a small amount of money.

NEWSTALK1010 ‏@NEWSTALK1010 7m
Council has voted against councillor Mammoliti's motions to ask the province to take over child care and the TTC.

Just saw this tweet from 1010.
At least now Toronto will never again complain about funding for TTC.

I also recall last year Council voted not to upload the Gardiner and DVP to the province. That took away their right to complain about funding for highways. They essentially said they had enough money as is to manage all their road needs.

He is projecting, what, $136MM from tolls? What portion of 1% of a property tax hike would it take to raise that amount of money?

I am not opposed to tolls per se....but I am absolutely fascinated that a mayor would throw debate in his city/region into such angry discussion over such a small amount of money.
It that net or gross?

I've heard that collecting the tolls could cost up to 40% - meaning the take home is less than $100M/yr.

Lets say there are 1M homes in TO, average tax of $5000/yr. A 1% increase is $50 per person per year, or %50M. Thus, you would need about a 2% property tax increase.

The upcoming gas tax is 4 cents per litre.

Assuming Toronto's share is 2M vehicles. 20,000 km/yr. 10 l/100 km fuel economy. That's $160M right there.

NEWSTALK1010 ‏@NEWSTALK1010 7m
Council has voted against councillor Mammoliti's motions to ask the province to take over child care and the TTC.
Just saw this tweet from 1010.
At least now Toronto will never again complain about funding for TTC.
I also recall last year Council voted not to upload the Gardiner and DVP to the province. That took away their right to complain about funding for highways. They essentially said they had enough money as is to manage all their road needs.

That's rather bizarre a conclusion - so refusal to surrender ownership and control of an asset equate to having sufficient provincial funding?

The upcoming gas tax is 4 cents per litre.
Assuming Toronto's share is 2M vehicles. 20,000 km/yr. 10 l/100 km fuel economy. That's $160M right there.

That's not new - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-gas-tax-public-transit-1.3316403

The question is how that amount is divved up - https://stevemunro.ca/2014/10/11/who-subsidizes-the-ttc/

AoD

Last edited:
Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 34s34 seconds ago
Wong-Tam motion to reintroduce Vehicle Registration Tax at $120 a year FAILS 11-31.
CzmcJteXcAEg2KU.jpg:large

Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 28s28 seconds ago
Cressy motion to endorse 4% hotel tax PASSES 37-5.
Matt Elliott ‏@GraphicMatt 47s47 seconds ago
Cressy motion to endorse short-term rental tax (e.g. airbnb) of no higher than 10% PASSES 36-6.

The hotel and short-term rental tax is a no brainer. Not sure why KWT kept on beating the dead horse that is VRT.

AoD

Ok that is still a tax which has to be paid from taxpayers. It's not as if the money can be found through effeciencies or through the current revenue we have. Whether it is a toll, a property tax increase, a hotel tax they are all forms of new taxes or revenue which have to be found.

It that net or gross?

I've heard that collecting the tolls could cost up to 40% - meaning the take home is less than $100M/yr.

Lets say there are 1M homes in TO, average tax of $5000/yr. A 1% increase is $50 per person per year, or %50M. Thus, you would need about a 2% property tax increase.
City budget says property taxes will bring in $3.9B so $136MM is well less than a 1% increase.

To the outside world the Toronto budget process (and the politics around it) seem very bizarre.....it seems to be a lot of seemingly smart people saying "this city needs money, and the amount it needs is growing fast....but we are going to limit our main revenue source to increases at or below inflation"....with that approach the amount of money the city needs is always going to grow.

City budget says property taxes will bring in $3.9B so $136MM is well less than a 1% increase.

To the outside world the Toronto budget process (and the politics around it) seem very bizarre.....it seems to be a lot of seemingly smart people saying "this city needs money, and the amount it needs is growing fast....but we are going to limit our main revenue source to increases at or below inflation"....with that approach the amount of money the city needs is always going to grow.

All property taxes - not just residential.

AoD

Back