News   Jul 16, 2024
 687     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 605     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 745     2 

New Transit Funding Sources

Yikes! They may as well toll all the highways through the GTA and be done with it. Imagine the billion$ even one pre-Brown administration year could yield if tolling the 401 from Milton to Oshawa.

Patrick Brown says if elected he will revoke provincial permission to toll Gardiner & DVP. Look at this guy, just so pathetic.

View attachment 93501

Does Patrick Brown mean to say that former Premier Mike Harris was wrong to have downloaded the QEW (427 to Humber River) to the City of Toronto? Will Patrick Brown recommend that the province upload the Gardiner and Don Valley to the province, so that tolls will not be implemented?

Does Patrick Brown mean to say that former Premier Mike Harris was wrong to have downloaded the QEW (427 to Humber River) to the City of Toronto? Will Patrick Brown recommend that the province upload the Gardiner and Don Valley to the province, so that tolls will not be implemented?

He may net propose to do that (just to take away the power of the City of Toronto to do anything, in quasi-perpetuity). I am sure a chunk of the suburban councillors would love to see that happen.

I guess my response to PB is - since he loves downtown issues so much, he should run there.

AoD

Interesting; particularly the statement from the mayors office.

If I was Tory and didn't mind stirring shit (is he willing to go to bat for Wynne this election?), I'd immediately implement a 30 year tax line labelled "Gardiner/DVP tax" with a footnote "to be refunded when tolls are approved"; it should be sized to cover all capital+operations of those highways (I'd include police/fire/ambulance portions too).

It gets the funding and puts the blame squarely on the province.

Last edited:
I doubt he's even aware of that. Like the former, he's just a snake biting the premier's tail. Clueless and naive. The Cons have no interest in building transit. They just stall like Mike Harris and Rob Ford did. Like it or not, tolls or some other unwanted tax need to happen as the highways start falling apart while investing in more transit. A 1% regional sales tax would be highly unpopular too.

Yeah I'm sure he'll upload the highways as soon as the mayor is finished spending billions of Toronto money on his Gardiner initiatives.

The NDP has joined forces with the PCs in opposition of road tolls.

“The last thing we want in a province where people are struggling to pay the bills is having to pay more to use the roads and the buses.” - Andrea Horwath

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2016/12/09/mpps-send-symbolic-vote-against-road-tolls.html

Isn't it cute that we have a party that built the 407 as a toll highway and a party that sold it in a way such that it remains forever as one lecturing about the evils of toll highways?

AoD

Isn't it cute that we have a party that built the 407 as a toll highway and a party that sold it in a way such that it remains forever as one lecturing about the evils of toll highways?

AoD

And the mayor was opposed to road tolls until he wasn't. Literally everybody has flip flopped on this.

And the mayor was opposed to road tolls until he wasn't. Literally everybody has flip flopped on this.

Politics makes for a strange reality. And of course, it's even more amusing that the mayor was the leader of one of the said parties.

AoD

Last edited:

AoD
I do see the irony....but they may tell you there is (in their mind) a difference between building a road where none existed before and having it as a toll road from the onset and charging tolls on an existing road. I think the distinction is irrelevant (and I am guessing you do to) but that is probably what they would suggest.

I do see the irony....but they may tell you there is (in their mind) a difference between building a road where none existed before and having it as a toll road from the onset and charging tolls on an existing road. I think the distinction is irrelevant (and I am guessing you do to) but that is probably what they would suggest.

Saw that argument coming, but for them to go down that road is tantamount to sophical BS in my books.

AoD

Back