News   Jul 19, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

New Transit Funding Sources

So which programs have to be cut?

That is a very interesting point....when you redirect existing revenues (which currently don't cover the cost of running the province) to dedicated transit tools you, by definition, increase the size of the current deficit unless you cut other existing programs.....so, in effect, short of cutting other programs this entire 45 minutes of logging in to listen could be summarized by "how are we funding transit....we are going to borrow more money!"

That is a very interesting point....when you redirect existing revenues (which currently don't cover the cost of running the province) to dedicated transit tools you, by definition, increase the size of the current deficit unless you cut other existing programs.....so, in effect, short of cutting other programs this entire 45 minutes of logging in to listen could be summarized by "how are we funding transit....we are going to borrow more money!"

That's what I was thinking too. Perhaps this is where the corporate tax increase comes in? It will be interesting to see how they attempt to cover everything off, or if they just increase the deficit through borrowing.

Kathleen Wynne ‏@Kathleen_Wynne
Over 10 years, we aim to phase in electric train service every 15 minutes on all GO lines we own #moveontforward #onpoli

That last part is very interesting. Does that include Milton then?

I expect they'll try but making it a promise would be really risky; CP could demand $10B for their line (price goes up with political pressure to complete a deal), slightly less than tunnelling or expropriating a new route.

Without knowing the details, everything in this announcement actually seems doable without having to buy off 3rd parties who may have different objectives than the province.

Last edited:
15 minute electrified GO on all lines

DRL

Hurontario LRT

Durham BRT

HSR between Toronto and London

Twinning of the entirety of highway 17 in Northern Ontario (I believe, she simply said "twinning Northern Ontario's highways from border to border to border"

Phase 2 of the Ottawa LRT

Hamilton LRT

Thats what I have gathered so far. Notice the lack of the Yonge subway extension.

15 minute electrified GO on all lines

DRL

Hurontario LRT

Durham BRT

HSR between Toronto and London

Twinning of the entirety of highway 17 in Northern Ontario (I believe, she simply said "twinning Northern Ontario's highways from border to border to border"

Phase 2 of the Ottawa LRT

Hamilton LRT

Thats what I have gathered so far. Notice the lack of the Yonge subway extension.

If the Richmond Hill line is running electrified 15 minute all-day service, is a Yonge extension really needed? Outside of peak the Yonge line would be running 8 min headways anyway (every 2nd train short-turning at Finch), so you electrify the RH line and put BRT lanes on Yonge for those going to NYCC or Yonge-Eg.

What's the use of HSR between Toronto and London, that's the most stupidest thing I've ever heard.

If the Richmond Hill line is running electrified 15 minute all-day service, is a Yonge extension really needed? Outside of peak the Yonge line would be running 8 min headways anyway (every 2nd train short-turning at Finch), so you electrify the RH line and put BRT lanes on Yonge for those going to NYCC or Yonge-Eg.

Hell no! That's the point too eh? And the RH go line will be much cheaper anyway, and it's already built so let's use it right gweed?
15 min electrified on all GO is something that makes me very, very happy.

To be clear, is this 15 minute all day?,

Pretty sure she said all day.

Hell no! That's the point too eh? And the RH go line will be much cheaper anyway, and it's already built so let's use it right gweed?

Pretty much, yeah. RHC has an advantage because it's one of the few 905 hubs that's located right on a GO line. Electrify the RH line, build BRT lanes on Yonge, and then plug the RH line into the DRL, which would replace the southern meandering part of the line.

Murray has specifically mentioned 200+km/h speeds, so yes, HSR. maybe not the 300km/h stuff, but HSR.

It could just be HSR-ready tracks (grade separations, proper turning radii, etc), without necessarily running an HSR service. That way that section of track could simply be "plugged into" an HSR system when one gets built.

Back