733     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 426     1 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 430     0 

New Torch Retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard through the grapevine tonight about one of the tenants being google.

I wonder if they would only use it as office space or whether there would be some media/retail component open to the public.

I don't care who moves in as long as they finish the building. What an embarrassing eyesore.

Google would be a great fit, especially considering that (in terms of revenue)they're pretty much an ad banner business and the Torch is an ad banner building if there ever was one. I wonder if they would employ one of the screens to run YouTube videos. (Do we need Dog-Riding-a-Skateboard flashing across Dundas Square? Hmm....)

Speaking of dogs riding skateboards, I'd consider the Torch to be the Poochie of Toronto landmarks...
01.jpg

Google does not sell anything (through retail) and does not advertise outside of the web (that I know of. It does not even advertise in Times Square, so why here?). I doubt its Google.

Google does not sell anything (through retail) and does not advertise outside of the web (that I know of. It does not even advertise in Times Square, so why here?). I doubt its Google.

The building is being leased, not sold, so Google wouldn't own the building or the adspace, they would just occupy the offices. It just seemed kind of appropriate to me that a company that generates nearly 100% of it's revenue from ad banners would be located in ad-banner square. However, I too think odds are slim that it'll end up being Google. I don't CityTV is likely either because the building is too small and inflexible for TV studios. Just my 2 cents.

Another good use for Torch might be as another Ryerson building. Media-related programs, such as journalism or RTV, could use the building for class space while its media screens and display boards can be used to display student work.

Ryerson could use another restaurant catering to students. The roof patio would be a nice place for that.

Ryerson needs a new buidling for their Architectural Science!!!!

i may be a bit biased since i go there, but still, i think you would agree that it's horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back