533     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 3K     7 

New Drive-In theatre opens

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Another drive-in theatre opened last weekend at Wild Water Kingdom in Brampton bringing another nostalgic location to the GTA for couples & families to snuggle up in a car and take in two hit movies on the big screen. I practically grew up in drive-in's as a kid in the many locations dotted around Scarborough in the 70's with such great memories with my mom, dad and new baby brother so I'm thrilled to see another one open, instead of close. If you haven't experienced a night out at a drive in here's another opportunity to give it a try.

http://www.wildwaterkingdom.com/

I love drive-ins. They're very romantic, and I would not mind seeing more of them.
I still haven't been to the one at Polson Pier.

I recommend the North York Drive-In in East Gwillimbury (northern York Region). Very reasonable prices for double-headers - you pay by the car and not per person! And there are playgrounds for kids before and between movies.

That's cool to know that the North York DI is still there. My family moved up north out of the city around '77 & we used to go there 'til I got the hell out of there in 1980. Occasionally I used to drive up with friends for the dusk to dawn shows as it was real dark up there which made for a great drive-in experience in the summer.

Too bad it's not in North York or Scarborough showing indie films. It would jumpstart the hypothetical hipster revival of suburban Toronto which I envisioned for some reason. (I believe it came to me while bored on the subway one day,* but allow me to explain.) I figure that one point, circa 1960s car-centric and high-rise laden suburbia will become hip, about fifty years after it became uncool.

The currently hip Victorian 'hoods will be fully gentrified and inhabited by senior citizens with only a small minority of creative types geared to tourist dollars. Artists will be occupying those apartment high-rises and pavilion cafes will open on the green space their towers-in-the-park design amply provides. By that time, the transit network will be more built up and the cars more environmentally friendly, so the image of the cars will be cleaned-up and hence seen in a romantic light. Jane and Finch will be that generation's Queen West and the kids won't pay attention to their grandparents who will proudly recall stories of hanging out on a vibrant Queen.

Does anyone else have any interesting visions of the city's future inspired by drive-ins?

*Spadina line

Back