News   Oct 02, 2024
 394     0 
News   Oct 02, 2024
 781     0 

New Cultural Facilities as Event Spaces

rdaner

Member Bio
Reaction score
Looking to build on last year's success, Matt Damon returns with One X One. This year the star-studded fiesta will move away from The Carlu on Yonge Street and behind the classy glass of the Four Seasons Centre on Queen Street West. Joining the Bourne baby will be Shakira, Wyclef and, no doubt, a host of other high-rolling friends to raise funds for the charity. The action goes down Sept. 9 at 8:30 p.m.

I saw this in the GM's TIFF coverage and it answered a question that I have been wondering about: how well are the big six cultural projects/renovations providing new and more interesting event spaces? Obviously the City Room at the Four Seasons Centre is a natural and is being utilised but has anyone heard of any of the others? How about the Crystal?

^ for the crystal they are working and designing the square in front of the crystal wich will be beautiful! There was an article about it but i can't remember where i saw it.

Wasn't one of the purposes of the addition to the ROM that the long vaulted space inside the old front door would become the party space - available for weddings & bar mitzvahs & whathaveyou?

I have also heard that the new spaces at the Gardiner Museum are popular for events.

I'm a little surprised that the City Room isn't being used in this way, though the Jackman Lounge is sometimes subdivided for private functions. Jack Diamond's being interviewed on Sunday Night at the Opera on Classical 96.3 next weekend by the way.

I'm a little surprised that the City Room isn't being used in this way, though the Jackman Lounge is sometimes subdivided for private functions. Jack Diamond's being interviewed on Sunday Night at the Opera on Classical 96.3 next weekend by the way.

Isn't Matt Damon holding a major charity event in the City Room during TIFF?

I wonder why the COC waited a whole year before starting commercial rentals of their building, as they are about to do?

They had some at the beginning of the summer, during the Jazz Festival.

Presumably, they were testing, finishing and using it for Ring rehersals last summer, the opera and ballet used it until the end of June, the Jazz Festival was there and then who really needs a 2000 seat house in July and August?

According to their website, it costs $15,000 ( plus taxes ) to rent the whole shebang - Fraser Elliott Hall, City Room, Jackman Lounge, rehearsal room, dance studio etc. - for a day.

Just $5,000 for the City Room, though. Hmmm ...

They seem to be beavering away now on Matt Damon's little shin-dig. There was a story about it in today's Globe. Totally C-list guests.

I'd love to rent the Round Room for something. I got goosebumps as soon as I walked into that wonderful space.

Back