News   Jul 15, 2024
 466     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 571     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Museum Station

Does anyone think that shelling out $1.25 million for Jack Diamond to indulge his interior decorating fantasies at Museum station guarantees "outrageous success"?

And by what yardstick will this "outrageous success" be measured? By twice the number of people entering the station? By nice write-ups in glossy magazines? By the OAA giving Diamond+Schmitt an award for best tacky and cheesy reno of the year? What?

Just think of how cheesy one could get with St. Patrick Station? ;)

All surfaces could be coated in some shimmery, glare-full, blurry varnish. The fixtures and furniture can be over-sized so that everyone looks little in comparison.

Does anyone think that shelling out $1.25 million for Jack Diamond to indulge his interior decorating fantasies at Museum station guarantees "outrageous success"?

And by what yardstick will this "outrageous success" be measured? By twice the number of people entering the station? By nice write-ups in glossy magazines? By the OAA giving Diamond+Schmitt an award for best tacky and cheesy reno of the year? What?

An asset to us all. You've already forgotten that my Museum concept blows Diamond Jack's plan out of the water.

I was there today, and haft of the M on the right is still not up.

Gee!!!, take a day to do a haft of a letter????

Notice they finally did some relocations of the Electrical lines, but not much.

What is sad is the fact big $$$ got spent upgrading this station only to have the Jail Bars and the walls of the storage room remaining as is. Very sad.

I have see no changes to the 6 columns behind the hording that are exposed from a week ago.

The end of February is coming fast and looks like March will be the unveiling time frame.

St Andrew is going to be more expensive to do than the Museum due to the amount of rust eating the existing framing there.

Perhaps TKTKTK can convince them to tart it up like the rusting hulk of the Titanic. That'll give us "outrageous success" for sure.

If you're a twelve year old, perhaps.

I'd join you - but I'm saving the sticks and stones for my Ossington concept; We should remake the station as an underground river valley, dedicated to long lost Garrison Creek. Pave the platforms with smoothed river rocks, an artful beaver dam acts as a screen to obscure the elevator. Some weeping willow branches will rest in the corner for those transit riders who feel the need to flagellate themselves as punishment for using such a ridiculous and childish station.

I'm shocked, urbanely shocked (slight difference, eh?) that my efforts to make these stations not only amazing but wheel-chair accessible, has encouraged such wrath!

Surely this should be seen as a public good!

Perhaps TKTKTK could convince the TTC to hide snipers in the St.Clair station? They could take potshots at commuters and create another edgy "outrageous success" - in honour of the 1837 Rebellion that paused near there on their march down Yonge Street.

Perhaps TKTKTK could convince the TTC to hide snipers in the St.Clair station? They could take potshots at commuters and create another edgy "outrageous success" - in honour of the 1837 Rebellion that paused near there on their march down Yonge Street.

Sure, they can use paintball guns in the TTC's station colours. If you're hit with a yellow one it means you're only 15 minutes away from the next yellow station!

Hetero vs. homo

I'm not saying that we have to change the entire thing. But if there's some design that does work – I don't see any need to preserve the bathroom-tile feature of every station. [...] I just don't think there is any value in preserving the current features and colours for the sake of simply preserving in them.

Clarify this for us: Are you talking about the heterogeneous YUS line or the homogeneous Bloor, Sheppard, and Scarborough lines?

But that doesn't mean that the station fonts can't be preserved in the new scheme. Museum has done that,

Badly. The tracking is wrong and they’re installed at the wrong height.

And I don't think the tiles have lasted.

Tiles have to be replaced every 40 years or so.

Honestly, at Harvard, with all its illustrious architecture and atmosphere, all Walter Gropius could come up with is this?
harvard.jpg

;)

You know, and I know, that that photo shows an architectural triumph that brings architecture to a new level.

On the otherhand, I bet most people find it depressingly drab. Those philistines!

You know, and I know, that that photo shows an architectural triumph that brings architecture to a new level.

On the otherhand, I bet most people find it depressingly drab. Those philistines!

Exactly. So why are you overwroughtly stooping to their Sunday-painter level? You might as well be throwing fiberglass moose into the equation.

And to take a local example...

200university.jpg

...would you find this to be cold, grey, and expressionless, and needing a little jazzing-up through colour, etc?

Because that's the sensibility you're bringing here.

...would you find this to be cold, grey, and expressionless, and needing a little jazzing-up through colour, etc?

Because that's the sensibility you're bringing here.

That's ridiculous! :)

I'm only suggesting that sometimes we can work outside the strict-utility box. Not everything has to be a high-order intellectual/aesthetic experience. Our subway system is used by people of all stripes, of all backgrounds, it should play to them occasionally as well.

If that building was falling apart and in terrible need of a renovation, and there were 12 others much the same beside it, I'd entertain the idea of changing the envelope and seeing how it could be changed or updated.

Subway stations and entire buildings are completely different things of course.

Back