News   Jul 24, 2024
 384     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 909     1 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 589     0 

Moving to Toronto from UK - Help needed!!

Pinky9

Member Bio
Reaction score
I need some advice. Me and my partner (24&25) are planning on moving to Toronto next year in April time from the UK for one year on a working visa. My partner currently works in nightclubs and would like to continue this so we have been advised that the Entertainment district is probably where he will want to look to work. I am not too bothered i will work in bars/clubs/shops/offices etc. As this is such a huge step it is important to get insiders knowledge as you are the ones who are in the know!

The questions i have are:

- What areas are close to the entertainment district which are generally nice enough to live as i don't want him walking too far home late at night

- Which are the best sites to use to look for accommodation? I was thinking of a house share to start with until we are settled as these offer utilities and furnishings.

- How easy is it to get a bar job?

- What is the general pay for bar/club work? so we can work out what sort of money we could be making?

- Are there any good job sites for general bar/shop work?

Many thanks to anyone who can help :)

I would look on craigslist and viewit.ca. The location matters on how much you can afford and what you can find. I would suggest queen st. west but that area is getting expensive. Anyways i hope you success in your search. Toronto can be a blast and it can be a shit, hopefully you can make the most of it.

You need to be SmartServe certified to serve alcohol in Ontario. So if your partner wants to work in a bar or club, that should be a priority.

The so-called Entertainment District is downtown, and accommodations in the area are getting more pricey, as someone already mentioned. At least in the beginning, look a little farther away. It's not a bad thing to travel 15 or 20 minutes (by transit) from where you work, in order to find a cheaper place.

Also, of course, many of these kinds of jobs are in areas other than the Entertainment District. Pick almost anywhere on Yonge Street, and start walking! You'll see quite a few of them everywhere.

Back