News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Moving to Quebec - Advice?

I've been working in Quebec and living in Ottawa for nearly a year...

My French is limited but I find people in Quebec to be friendly and accepting. The culture is very different, but nobody has given me problems for being English. I would consider moving to Hull if not for the high income taxes.

Generally speaking we always have to remember that there are good and bad people everywhere, and sometimes you will find exactly what you go looking for. Having said this, there are cultural differences and unquestionably it is far more socially acceptable in Quebec to be xenophobic, or cuturally/linguistically chauvinistic, and express it openly to outsiders. In Ontario we would cringe at the mere thought. Vive la différence!

I was born and raised in Quebec, I've lived in Montreal and some very rural towns.. My mother is english and my father is french canadian, my last name is french and I speak quebecois. Most people in Quebec will be accepting of someone trying to speak french, although, be clear that in trois rivieres they speak quebecois and not french, so, you may be in for a shock that you won't undertsand them. Some of the laws about language are overkill in my opinion, and you will at times feel discouraged. You will find people who don't care that you are english, and just ignore the others. On the bright side...Quebecers are very down to earth people..and way less rigid than ontarians

... and learn a Parisian French, or a standardized international version thereof like our Governor General. Quebecois has absolutely zero caché or value in a work sense outside of Quebec and learning the dialect is about as smart as a non-anglophone deciding to learn English with a Scottish brogue. Besides, if you don't understand what some Montreal waiter with attitude is saying you can always blame it on his incomprehensible dialect :)

I disagree...you will be a laughing stock trying to speak "parisian" french. Hang out with french people in TR and you'll get the hang of it

In my limited time in Trois Rivières, I noticed that every time I needed to speak with somebody, they spoke English. Both my gf's parents speak it quite well, the waitress at a restaurant we went to also spoke english fluently and a few times that I went to gas stations, the clerks always changed to english when they noticed I was struggling with french. That was a limited sample but I'm optimistic that I can learn French on the go.

you'll be fine..just sit back and listen, most quebecers worry they won't be accepted outside of quebec..so, just play it cool. and remember it's pronounced "kebek" not "kwebek"

Thanks drone. I do pronounce it 'kebek'. I haven't quite gotten a hold on the Quebecois accent so even though in theory, I know quite a bit of French, when I open my mouth, people hear a broken Parisian french instead of -- what would be better -- a broken Quebecois.

So, I'm not so much worried as to being able to communicate. I'm resigned to the fact that I will be very unlikely to find any work and not be able to operate a business unless I speak French sufficiently to not have to use English.

I'm considering RosettaStone.com to work on my french every day for the next 10 months.

I don't think it'll be that bad...just speak whatever french you know, but, I would make an effort to learn what they locals are speaking. I think you posted you do graphic design freelance? I think you'll get by fine...watch alot of quebecois television, that'll help out as well. I think you'll get by easier than you think.

Yes, freelance graphic design. I'm looking to target the sailing community in TR since my gf's dad builds and repairs boats. I don't want to depend on them to get my clients though so I somehow need to become completely functional in French in 10-12 months. For the past couple of days, I've been listening to Radio Canada and this morning I was surprised that I was actually picking up quite a bit of it.

i haven't been there in years, but, I do remember that there is lot of people who sail, and in the summer, TR is very busy, I think there is lotsa events going on, especially indie car races

That's really useful info drone. Thanks! A healthy events schedule in TR has the potential to keep my busy in both photography and graphic design. The photography won't require much French other than the initial acquisition of clients.

Is anybody familiar with intensive French programmes? I know that once I get there, the process of learning will become natural as I have already learned other languages that way but I want to get there already being able to have conversations.

Speaking of Quebec - I remember a book called "The Anglo Survivors Guide to Quebec" that was written in the 80s - I would like to see and read a copy and I wonder: Is it just satire or is it a real account on how English speakers fare in Quebec?

Ganjavih: Does the West Island of Montreal still have that large Anglo enclave in towns like Beaconsfield? I always found interesting that you could tell just by the town names and how streets were written on maps if it was a predominantly English-speaking area-like Hampstead?

LI MIKE

Ganjavih: Does the West Island of Montreal still have that large Anglo enclave in towns like Beaconsfield? I always found interesting that you could tell just by the town names and how streets were written on maps if it was a predominantly English-speaking area-like Hampstead?

Absolutely, the West Island is still quite Anglo.

I think you're going to do fine because your attitude is positive. Seeing an Anglo attempting in a genuine way to master the language should pay off. Remember as well, that in insular communities some people are looking to broaden their horizons so that to some people you will be interesting. Just dont let the odd encounter get you down.

Thanks buildup. Not only is my will to learn French genuine, but I'm also yearning to really learn about and integrate myself into French Canadian culture. I'm seeking a life experience that will bring me closer to what it means to be Canadian. I've lived in Toronto 10 years and plan to live in Quebec for 10 as well before moving on to perhaps out west.

As for learning French, I'm settling on Rosetta Stone. I tried it out and I was very impressed at their process. I'm still looking for a group or club to practice the French I learn over the next 10 months.

Back