News   Jul 25, 2024
 411     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 553     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 461     0 

Move to Toronto

It really depends on where you will be working, or where you might want to work. Will you be working downtown or in Brampton or Mississauga? Also, what are your personal needs and preferences? Are you Indian and want easy access to Indian shops, or Portugese and want easy access to Portugese restaurants and churches or whatever? Will you need to be on a subway line? Do you need easy highway access? How many bedrooms do you need? Etc.

P.S. Welcome to Canada.

EDIT: I see you're from Kiev. So probably not Indian or Portugese, or Chinese for that matter. ;) Any particular reason you chose Brampton? Brampton isn't actually part of the City of Toronto, but it's part of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). For commutes to downtown Toronto for example, Brampton is too far for my preference, but I know others who commute every day from Brampton to downtown and have no problem doing that.

Last edited:
Eug thank you for answer. You are right we are not from Asia countries. We are from Ukraine it's part of ex Soviet Union :) I do not link us to ukrainian or russian community and our shops or orthodox religion (we are protestants). I suppose for first time we won't link to downtown. I can do my work (web-development and graphic design) in home for first time. One bedrooms for us is enough. In fact apartment close to subway line will be very good.
I'm thinking about Toronto's Area because I guess it will be less expensive for us.

There are two main subway lines: the Yonge/University/Spadina line which goes North/South, and the Bloor/Danforth line which goes East/West. Click here for map.

You should have no problems finding $1000~1100/month 1-bedroom/studio apartments along either of those lines. The higher prices ($1300+) for 1-bedrooms are generally for condominium suites, which tend to be more luxurious. Try checking out viewit.ca.

If you would like to be close to a large Ukrainian/Polish community, there is a nice area of Toronto called Bloor West Village, it is on the subway (Bloor-Danforth Line (green) - High Park station) and has many good and affordable apartment buildings, plus it's close to one of Toronto's biggest parks (High Park), and walking distance to the lake and western beaches. You should be able to find a 1br apartment in your price range.

I am also originally from Kiev, immigrated to Toronto 20 years ago. :)

Welcome to Toronto!

Off topic but...

lead82, Where's the best kielbassa in Bloor West Village? I actually used to have bison kielbassa shipped in from Regina once a year from the Ukrainian Co-Op, because I preferred it to the polish stuff on Roncesvalles.

No, I'm not Ukrainian, but I grew up in Regina, and much of my neighbourhood was addicted to that stuff.

Durie Meat is a good Ukrainian place:
2302 Bloor West

There are some on Roncies as well, but can't recall the name.

Hi there Kappelan,

As mentioned by others here, Bloor West Village is a perfect area for you to live by with your Ukrainian background.

Durie Meat is a good Ukrainian place:
2302 Bloor West

There are some on Roncies as well, but can't recall the name.
Thanks. I'll have to check that out. So far I've just been going to the Ukrainian places in St. Lawrence Market.

I believe the original poster, as sadly is typical for the area he's from, is a scam artist. Do not reply to his email.

Huh. Guys, I just found this my old topic. It's been for a while, huh.

Just want to let you know that we have happily moved to Toronto almost two years ago. We've chose the Town of Richmond Hill for living and we love this place.

Of course this is more expensive than we were looking for but it's fine for now.

That is so funny to read my old thoughts and questions like this :)

Huh. Guys, I just found this my old topic. It's been for a while, huh.

Just want to let you know that we have happily moved to Toronto almost two years ago. We've chose the Town of Richmond Hill for living and we love this place.

Of course this is more expensive than we were looking for but it's fine for now.

That is so funny to read my old thoughts and questions like this :)

It's good to hear that you've settled in quite nicely!

:)

Back