261     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 644     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 536     1 

Move Ontario - 1.2 Billion for Transit

F

FutureMayor

A breakdown of the transportation and infrastructure projects detailed in the 2006 provincial budget:

— $670 million to extend Toronto's subway system into the Vaughan Corporate Centre.

— Legislation to establish the Greater Toronto Transportation Authority, which would oversee the integration of the area's various transit systems.

— $400 million to repave almost 3,000 kilometres of roads and bridges, with emphasis on rural and northern municipalities.

— $65 million to Mississauga, Ont., to help develop a bus line along Highway 403.

— $95 million to Brampton, Ont., to improve express bus service.

New operating money for the TTC and all transit agencies.

Increase of Gas Tax Share in October, can now be used for operating costs.

Louroz

There was an article in the Globe and Mail that said that the Sorbara Group owns a lot of property in the Keele/Finch area, where a subway station will go. Though the family owned that property (mostly high rise rental) for years.

VCC makes no sense for the next 20 years at least. It is so much better to build Sheppard from Don Mills to Victoria Park (a similar distance) than from Steeles to VCC.

FM,

No, not with the province.

Re: Subway

$670 million is a one time provincial investment made today. That does not eliminate future top-up funding in future budgets. There was a windfall in corporate taxes and the budget documents state that 60% of that windfall was allocated to transit and transportation projects.

For funding York Region and the City of Toronto will have to make contributions, but it should be noted that in the last two weeks both Ministers Flaherty and Cannon have made some noise about GTA infrastructure and transit funding. I would not be surprised at all if the Feds came on board with some significant funding - the ball is in their court now.

The province noted that todays transit and transportation announcements were the largest single investment into this sector since the mid 1970s.

The provincial press release states about the subway extention:

"Extending the subway to York Region would:
extend the subway system int the 905 region, crossing a regional boundary for the first time;
eliminate 30 million car trips annually;
improve connections with VIVA -York Region's transit system - Brampton Transit and GO Transit;
provide rapid transit service to more than 65,000 individuals commuting to York University;
help address rapid growth in York Region, which has grown by more than 50% over the past 10 years; and
reduce congestion on the Yonge Line by diverting 10% of passengers to the Spadina Line"

In other related projects the province will be piloting a tax increment financing program along the York Subway Extention to assist in development.

This $670 million is nothing to sneeze at. A key feature is that it will be placed in a trust fund - meaning no future government can touch it (e.g. cancelled Eglinton Line). And it is a one time shot in the arm rather than being spread out over several years.

I would expect once the ball gets rolling with Toronto and York figuring out their contributions and what the Feds may contribute that the province will also top off thier funding since this project will evolve over the next few years.

— $670 million to extend Toronto's subway system into the Vaughan Corporate Centre.

is that from york U to vaughan? on top of the 1.5 billion for the york extension? the VCC isn't at steeles is it?

Were you in the lockup as well FM?

Just to add to FM's comments:

$7 million in York Region for the EA and detailed planning requirements for phase II of VIVA Transit

$1 million towards the EA relating to the future Scarborough subway

$200 million in one time funding to assist the TTC in subway operating costs

Legislation on the GTTA promised and GTA Fare Card System

$400 million to municipalities primarily outside the GTA for road and bridge improvements

$632 million for border upgrades in Niagara, Sarnia and Windsor

$114 for municipalities to assist with orders of new bues or bus refirbishments.

BTW, the ontario libratards ;) have my vote next election.

props to joe cordiano.

No I believe that's $670 million from Downsview to VCC.

I suspect that the Federal Government will have to come forward with matching dollars and Toronto and York Region will have to kick in several million.

Louroz

^^^ Just to help Sorbara satisfy his personal preoccupation? No thanks Greg. We'll spend our money where it's needed - right here in Toronto.

I believe Vaughan is on record as saying they'll cough up the cash once the subway reaches the edge of Vaughan. I'm not sure how much funds they were talking about.

Brampton (Acceleride) is getting more than Mississauga (403 Transitway) for bus improvments? That's a surprise - and right now, I'm not debating the merits of either, except that Brampton's plan is fairly simple - more like Viva with reserved lanes, rather than a full busway.

Too bad they aren't doing so well in the poles.

I wasn't aware that the polish community was such a large voting bloc.

Too bad they aren't doing so well in the poles.

i didn't do so well either. one time i was with a polish woman and i couldn't get it up.

J/K.

Lord VCC. Like what will that do? Especially when SRT and the Sheppard stubway are calling for cash.

Are Be must be happy today. Too bad he flamed out too early here and at SSC. Subway to 905...

..... also the province definitely has future subway expansion on the radar screen. They allocated $1 million towards an environmental assessment for the Scarborough Subway expansion.

Back