News   Jul 17, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 1K     2 

Most "Walkable" Mall in the GTA

What's the most walkable mall in the GTA?

• Eaton Centre

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Square One

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Yorkdale

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • Scarborough Town Centre

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Bramalea City Centre

• Vaughan Mills

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Markville Shopping Centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sherway Gardens

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Pickering Town Centre

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters
I find the Eaton Centre loses points because its overcrowded and because its a pain getting between levels when you're stuck in a mob of 905'ers that think escalators are amusement park rides.

Considering the number of large malls that are much closer to 905'ers in their own regions, those are mostly 416'ers playing on the Eaton Centre escalators.

Is a person with a 416 cell phone number that lives in the 905 a 416er or a 905er? ;)

Walkable eh? I guess that depends on what you mean by walkable.
Square One is very comfortable for walking in since it's renovations. Many areas are carpeted now, and there is a lot of natural light now with all of the glass roofing. It's not so dark and and has much higher ceilings throughout.
I've never really enjoyed walking in Eaton Centre. I find the walkways are too small for the amount of people.
Sherway Gardens, despite it's easy design... I always manage to somehow not know where I am, and can never find the store I want after looking at the map.

I think this thread is more about just choosing your favourite mall vs. scoring points for walkability. Whatever that means anyway.

And given the sheer scale of walking involved, I don't know how *anyone* can call Vaughan Mills "walkable"--at least, as a total entity...

And given the sheer scale of walking involved, I don't know how *anyone* can call Vaughan Mills "walkable"--at least, as a total entity...
I just feel like Vaughan Mills wants me to walk through it. It may have a lot of walking, but it feels natural, and you kind of forget about it as you're passing through to the next store.

Vaughan Mills blind folded.
LOL

it really is a tough question.

if you've never been to any of the malls. i'd say, vaughan mills. one lap and you're done.

but if you're familiar with a mall.. erin mills, or sherway can offer shorter distances between stores.

or.. you can go for atmosphere and people watching making yorkdale or eaton centre top of your list.

or.. a mall that is always packed isn't as 'walkable' as you'd like, steering you away from yorkdale.

over all.. i'll take SCT.. it's got the best of everything.

This might be a tangent but I find Square One to be a complete maze. Two-levels with dead end

I still remember it as a smaller (albeit very large at the time), simpler mall in the middle of a field. Ah, the good ol days.

A summary of the growth of the mall is an interesting coffee break at:

http://www.shopsquareone.com/01ab_hist.html

walkamall

shops at don mills(not a mall technikly) is MOST enjoyably walkable
dufferin mall VERY popular but only O.K. to walk do to crowds

This might be a tangent but I find Square One to be a complete maze. Two-levels with dead end

I still remember it as a smaller (albeit very large at the time), simpler mall in the middle of a field. Ah, the good ol days.

A summary of the growth of the mall is an interesting coffee break at:

http://www.shopsquareone.com/01ab_hist.html

"A prolonged, 22-day transit strike across the GTA marks the beginning of a fitness revolution, as hundreds of thousands are forced to walk and bike to work. Residents of the brand new city of Mississauga, inaugurated January 1st, begin to question their working reliance on Toronto. Over the next couple of decades, fewer and fewer of them will choose to commute into the metropolis over careers in the community."

WTF is this gem doing in the "Great Moments in Square One History"?

I'm trying to write something about it, but it's just so convoluted and ridiculous, yet appropriate, that I can't think of what to say!

Last edited:
I find the Eaton Centre loses points because its overcrowded and because its a pain getting between levels when you're stuck in a mob of 905'ers that think escalators are amusement park rides.

It's not technically a mall in the traditional sense, but my vote goes for the Shops at Don Mills. I can also tolerate a stroll through Bayview Village

I know! How hard is "walk left, stand right"?!?

Shops at Don Mills is a good choice.

A friend of mine compares shopping at Vaughan Mills to the Battaan Death March. I wouldn't go that far, but I am certainly not fond of it.

I know! How hard is "walk left, stand right"?!?

Shops at Don Mills is a good choice.

A friend of mine compares shopping at Vaughan Mills to the Battaan Death March. I wouldn't go that far, but I am certainly not fond of it.

I don't know what that is, but, from what I've heard, the Vaughan Mills H&M is messier than the one at Eaton Centre, with tons of clothes on the floor. Apparently people in York Region are pigs :p

Like many males, I proudly find no mall walkable: I want to run out as soon I enter. They are all different degrees of awful.

I vote for Square One hands down.

The entire mall has a nice upscale feel to it, but no two areas seem the same at all. Walking through Sherway, Eaton Centre or Yorkdale all feel the same no matter where you are in the mall. Square One has such a large, random layout with each area uniquely designed it's a much more varied and interesting walking experience.

Erin Mills Town Centre gets my vote for the most terrible walking experience possible. The star layout plan on the upper floor is a disaster due to all of the dead ends.

Back