News   Jul 04, 2024
 991     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 772     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 625     1 

Moss Park / Queen & Sherbourne

Originally Posted by junctionist
Why have the army downtown? Someone has to defend this city and respond to disasters. Then again, if we ever want to revolt and become a low-tax, advanced infrastructure city state, it's better that they get it out of there
http://sites.bmogc.net/pandc/survey/Lists/ClimbingNewHeights/NewForm.aspx
Mayor Mel vs Mayor Ford, in other words.

Ford may bring lower taxes, but he will NOT bring an 'advanced infrastructure city state'. More like an advanced disaster. He'd turn the armoury into a parking garage.

Not exactly in Moss Park, but I think this is the closest neighbourhood thread we have for this.

The south side of Dundas Street, from Mutual to Jarvis now has only two occupied properties. The Mounties Bar and what I think is a convenience store. There about 6 other vacant stores, including the tiny strip mall on the corner of Dundas and Jarvis, which has no tenants left. There are vacancies between Mutual and Church too.

I know that is still a tough spot for retail, especially with the Jarvis pyramid temporarily vacant of office workers. But it looks really really bad! I can't think of any other block downtown that has 80% vacancy. Is someone consolidating property to make a development play here? I don't see are any "for lease" signs. It is making a terrible gateway to the east end of downtown. I wonder what the people staying at the hotels on the corner think.

Last edited:
^^ Every time I walk by that ugly mall, I think the same thing. I would think a property so close to Yonge Street would have some redevelopment value. I'm sure after a few buildings go up, development will take off all along Dundas, east of Yonge Street. It's about time.

The ugly mall has been empty for over 2 years now. The tenants were forced out because the owner wanted to redevelop the site. The plan was supposed to be a high rise but I haven't heard anything in a while. There are no For Lease signs because there are no vacancies to be filled.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone buys the whole block though. It would definitely go a long way towards enhancing the feel of the neighbourhood.

Couldn't get an exact location but I was told that Moriyama architects will be moving their studio from Yorkville to a 3 storey building on George St. Their current studio is being demolished to make way for the Yorkville condo.

Community Planning Meeting
Hosted by: MPP Glen Murray, Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam

Garden District-Moss Park
Tuesday June 21, 2011
6:30pm-8:30pm
Metropolitan United Church
56 Queen Street East

Full details @ www.torontocentreplan.org

There's a building for sale right now - 228 Queen E, for $599K.

I'd be so tempted to buy one of these, live in 2 floors, and rent out the third. But what this stretch needs is worthwile ground-level retail, which is so far limited (Upside Dive, Ecostems, and the audio place seems to be doing OK).

I would say the area desperately needs '3rd space' retail along the lines of a welcoming coffee shop, gallery, music bar, etc. As with dynamic countries, dynamic neighbourhoods wield cultural influence and attract 'outsiders' into their spheres.

The success of George St. Diner, Cafe 260 and Fusaro's along Richmond E. is promising. Unfortunately the boring condos across the street have zero retail space. Another example of Toronto's awful city planning.

Good point - I also wish George St. Diner, Cafe 260 and Fusaro's well.

I think Queen & Sherbourne would be a great place for a really well done, out-there coffee shop. Savoury Grounds at Queen & Parliament wasn't high-end enough, so it attracted the local riff-raff rather than creative class types. It's been replaced by Redline but I am not sure how it's different (or how well it's doing). There needs to be a way of harnessing Moss Park's street cred, while not being taken over by the street crowd.

Can anyone tell me about "Alfie's" on the north side of Queen, just east of Sherbourne?

This place always seems to have a crowd of people out front, many obviously very poor and some possibly worse given it's proximity to the large shelter next door. I don't doubt that the place is licensed and passes inspections, but it is quite a dump. There are other bars all around the east end that cater to people who spend their last dollar on a beer at 11 am and they aren't nearly awful as this one. It seems to attract the worst characters in the area. I can say happily that walking past and through the crowd, I have never been harassed, but it is possibly one of the most unnerving spots downtown.

Streetview from a rather quiet day.

I think it's just a matter of time. Once people start moving into The Modern later this year things will start changing quickly. By next summer I imagine there will be a number of new and interesting stores, cafes, restos, etc opening up.

I think it's just a matter of time. Once people start moving into The Modern later this year things will start changing quickly. By next summer I imagine there will be a number of new and interesting stores, cafes, restos, etc opening up.

Wishful thinking, IMHO. The Queen strip has the shelter on Sherbourne and the Moss Park Apartments on the east side. It's already got a butcher, hair dresser, tattoo parlour, rare book shop. And it's still a hole b/c of the dive bar and casual labour storefronts.

Back