News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

"But admittedly the Blitzkrieg of downtown east went way beyond those blocks earmarked for new cultural facilities."
QUOTE: Thecharioteer.

I was thinking the term "Clear Cut", would be appropriate, but a book of the same name

CLEARCUT C1997, Gene Threndyle & John Martins - Manteiga

That's the book on the demolition of the Woolworth building (where Trump now stands). I own a copy. It was specifically torn down for parking, which was supposedly needed more at the time than a low-rise Moderne building.

Thanks to Vintage Toronto facebook :D First photo i have ever seen of the old Four Seasons when it was Hyatt.

2pynjmc.jpg

Great find, gabe! It also captures Avenue Road pre-Hazelton Lanes, and the old apartment building on Cumberland east of the hotel.

the Toronto Skyline here is rather fanciful. its clearly derived from the real thing, but enhanced in such a way as to boost the sense of a 'big city' vista, especially on the western edge with Avenue Road seeming to be a thoroughfare of glistening lights and imaginary towers.

That's the book on the demolition of the Woolworth building (where Trump now stands). I own a copy. It was specifically torn down for parking, which was supposedly needed more at the time than a low-rise Moderne building.

Haven't read the book, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the land's best interim use was as a parking lot, instead of the existing building, until it was sold for redevelopment (which came about a few years later in 2000 when the land was sold for the first incarnation of the Ritz-Carlton?).

The property became expendable when Walmart took over and moved the headquarters, which had been in the Woolworth building, to Mississauga.

The property became expendable when Walmart took over and moved the headquarters, which had been in the Woolworth building, to Mississauga.

Much like the Bay-Wellington building discussed recently, it had the appearance of a run-down building in need of renovation, and housing "The Bargain Shop" on the ground floor, which replaced the old Woolworth store when Wal-Mart took over, didn't help. With better space available around the core at the time (1995-96) I doubt anyone was calling up to rent space there, so down it came. The Herbert House building on the north-east corner of Bay & Adelaide did undergo a renovation around that time, but in the end, it was consumed by the new Bay-Adelaide Centre. Until the Woolworth building was demolished, Bay & Adelaide was one of a few intersections in the financial district which looked essentially unchanged from decades past on all four corners.

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - GEORGE'S ITALIAN VILLA - INTERIOR DINING ROOM.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - GEORGE'S ITALIAN VILLA - INTERIOR DINING ROOM.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 828
  • POSTCARD - TORONTO - OLD ANGELO'S RESTAURANT - DINING ROOM INTERIOR - 1960s.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - OLD ANGELO'S RESTAURANT - DINING ROOM INTERIOR - 1960s.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 895
  • POSTCARD - TORONTO - WESTBURY HOTEL - 475 YONGE - POLO BAR - INTERIOR - 1960s.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - WESTBURY HOTEL - 475 YONGE - POLO BAR - INTERIOR - 1960s.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 864
Great pictures. You could do a whole thread on Toronto's fine dining scene in the Sixties and Seventies. It's interesting that "good" restaurants generally had a well-upholstered, clubby gentleman's feel about them well into the Eighties, despite modernism having taken over architecture decades before.

Although I do remember Noodles on Bay Street having a contemporary look.

Back