News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 635     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

Some wonderful photography of Toronto in the 1980's by Avard Woolaver (https://avardwoolaver.wordpress.com/):

Dundas and Victoria 1983 (now Dundas Square):

toronto1980.png

The CNE grounds 1982:

toronto1982a.png

Gerrard, east of Jarvis:

toronto1982b.png

South of what is now David Pequot Square and Metro Hall, 1982:

toronto1982c.png

Yonge Street, 1984:

toronto1984.png

Dundas, east of Victoria, 1982:

toronto1982.png

Attachments

• toronto1980.png
    toronto1980.png
    960.3 KB · Views: 1,455
  • toronto1982a.png
    toronto1982a.png
    731.7 KB · Views: 1,224
  • toronto1982b.png
    toronto1982b.png
    633.3 KB · Views: 1,346
  • toronto1982c.png
    toronto1982c.png
    861.1 KB · Views: 1,310
  • toronto1984.png
    toronto1984.png
    707.3 KB · Views: 1,287
  • toronto1982.png
    toronto1982.png
    788.1 KB · Views: 1,366
The Salvation Army building (ignore the banding) at the top right of the first picture was a great example of mid-century modernism.

Thanks for this thecharioteer. I didn't know that the banding was covering an original showcase.

I'm wondering, does anybody regret not just walking around, taking pictures of the city back in the day?

yes, but mostly regretting that it used to cost so much -- $8 a roll of 20, $20 to get it developed (i wonder what those costs translate into in current dollars)

today, a digital camera lets you take hundreds and hundreds of shots for free

Of course, "back in the day," very few walked around with a camera in hand.
Now EVERYONE carries a camera!
If only our images can be preserved (and that's somewhat doubtful), there will be wonderful images for for future generations to review, admire, detest and enjoy.

yes, but mostly regretting that it used to cost so much -- $8 a roll of 20, $20 to get it developed (i wonder what those costs translate into in current dollars)

today, a digital camera lets you take hundreds and hundreds of shots for free

Oh yes, I forgot about the costs. They were usually saved for people as well.

Of course, "back in the day," very few walked around with a camera in hand.
Now EVERYONE carries a camera!
If only our images can be preserved (and that's somewhat doubtful), there will be wonderful images for for future generations to review, admire, detest and enjoy.

Funny thing is, it could be done today. I rented at Yonge and Eglinton. After hearing about all the changes coming around 2011-2012, I told my wife I should walk around and snap a ton of photos before it all changes, buildings get torn down. Even inside the mall. Yes there's google images, maps, etc., but to take nicer, more 'official' shots, different angles, perspective. But of course I got lazy and didn't do it but now do kind of regret it. I'm sure there are still many areas like that around that can be done. Main objective is to capture it in more memorable way before it changes for good.

I haven't printed a photo in quite some time

My message concerning film vs digital photography is simply this:
If paper prints are not made from our digital images, they will not be available for future generations to view and enjoy.
By the way, 4x6 prints are only $.10 at Walmart!

My message concerning film vs digital photography is simply this:
If paper prints are not made from our digital images, they will not be available for future generations to view and enjoy.
By the way, 4x6 prints are only $.10 at Walmart!

But I can print my own 4x6 prints from my own printer. High quality settings, of course.

So many of these photos seem so familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. I recall some places yet am not quite certain where they are or were.

Back