News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 399     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

What happened to all that awesome neon and bright lights of Yonge St? It seems all we have now is cheap backlit crap.

Neon went out of fashion by the 1970s; lack/difficulty of maintenance did the rest. Though arguably on that front, one (the only?) place that's actually improved is the Zanzibar.

99a58661.jpg

What intrigues me here (beneath the canopy on the right) is the hint of a triangle'n'crossbar City Parking sign--forgot about those...

I agree.... and the signs that hang perpendicular to the street? I think the Canon's is just about the only one left?

Couldn't agree more. I wonder why they have all gone? It seems to me they made great sense in announcing the building/business from far away when you're actually walking in the street. The theatre district in NYC still seems to have lots of them...

Also, I don't know the name of them but I wonder why these 'lettering only"-type signs that are seen on roof tops in the Times Square area are not seen in Toronto at all:

Midtown099.jpg

From the New York Architecture web site.

Also, I don't know the name of them but I wonder why these 'lettering only"-type signs that are seen on roof tops in the Times Square area are not seen in Toronto at all:

They're not common today, but if you like them, Tip Top Lofts preserved a big one, and the Regal Constellation has a prominent one as well. Unfortunately, the Regal is destined to be demolished.

I think that once you see one, you've seen them all.

the regal constellation was big shit in the '80s. my father worked for a while at the similar-but-lesser "skyline," and was then transferred to the regal (to the delight of all).

it's so campy and corny now, but at the time, he leveraged that into a position at the d.c. ritz.

Awesome pics! i sure miss the vibrant bight neon colours lighting up the streets. Times Sq and even Las Vegas has lost it's neon streetscapes over the years :(

I have a feeling there was a fair bit of editing to those images. They had their ways of doing it; no Photoshop was required.

Up until 1939 virtually all color postcards were actually heavily retouched black and white photographs. So the earliest ones, especially one as heavily doctored as the Temple Building is pretty much hand painted....

Back