News   Jul 23, 2024
 166     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 765     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 2K     0 

More Lost Toronto in colour

What the hell is that obnoxious orange precast low rise in the center and what happened to it?

As for the older Eatons buildings, note too that old Eatons (the white building btw/the Simpson Tower and the Elgin pylon) is still there. Not only did demolition start right away after the first EC phase opened, a fire facilitated the process to the west--and nearly claimed Holy Trinity as well (which is why its south windows are new)

Kind of a sad ending for the block, eh? With a little bit of imagination, (and selective pruning and grafting), we could have had a little bit of King/Spadina in the area filled with offices, lofts, restaurants and even a Marriott Hotel, instead of the architectural banalities that emerged.

What the hell is that obnoxious orange precast low rise in the center and what happened to it?

I was wondering myself. It looks like someone has applied a marker pen to it. I don't remember anything like that in that location, which would be on the block bound by Dundas/Elizabeth/Edward and Bay.

i remember when they blew it up. it was next to the gas station, dundas/elizabeth, se corner.
it was brought down early in the morning.

thedeepend, that's a great aerial photo. It's amazing how much the name "Eatons" still passes around in discussion in this day. Their imprint on those downtown blocks will be felt until the Eaton Centre itself passes into history I suppose.

I was reading the National Post last week and in their social pages coverage there was a picture of a 40-ish man named John Craig Eaton. None of this matters a whit to those under 30 but the book: "The Eatons: The rise and fall of Canada's royal family" is a very good read for those who might be interested.

ce4c6a0e.gif

Now, *there's* a place with "a reputation" (really!)--and of course, there's poetic justice to the Nut Nest (which, presuming it was an old-school nut shop, would have been a real unsung survivor in the end--the last of its sort, of course, being the Uptown Nut House on Hayden)

About 35 years ago, this PCC streetcar was in business at the NW corner ofSteeles Ave. East and Warden.

PCCstreetcar.jpg

Don't know what happen to that streetcar. I know that former TTC streetcar in the picture was bought second hand from Birmingham, Alabama in 1953. All the second hand fleet from the U.S. were retired in the early 80's when C.L.R.V.s came into service.

What happened to the PCC that was an annex to a restaurant on Eglinton East?

The PCC in the farmer's field on Highway 6 near Puslinch is still there, though it's lost its trolley pole and has had a new coat of paint that doesn't match the old one.

Hmm, final days of Rossin House, I see (and I can see how it might not have seemed like much in its final pallid stripped-Classical mode).

Also, we may know about the illuminated "Centennial" street signs, but judging from the logo, were those garbage cans like in the second photo "Centennial" as well? (And you can see there was already trash-receptacle advertising then--and yes, that's *the* Harvey's being advertised. They once had that kind of waiter/chef-holding-a-tray mascot.)

Back