News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 658     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 305     0 

Moose Rail (National Capital Region)

^ Why do you keep cutting off the sentence before that one? The concern is over the reality of what Moose is proposing. So I'm noting the concern and the people with the concern have already done the math. I guess what you're saying is "don't worry about the Moose frequencies. It'll be good enough". Or, maybe you've been provided inside/confidential information by Moose on what they want to do and think the Moose math is better than the Stage 2 math.

@kEiThZ:
  • I was very specific. The current Stage 2 proposal for the Trillium Line will see the line move to 8 min frequencies in 2021: http://spacing.ca/ottawa/2015/01/19/lrt-trillium-line-extension-enters-stage-2/
  • Moose's proposal has never promised to match or better that for riders inside the Greenbelt.
  • Stage 2 will provide substantially better service on day one than Moose will ever commit to providing.
  • It would indeed be great to have rural rail service. But not at the cost of completely demolishing urban transit in Ottawa-Gatineau. Giving up 10 min frequencies on the Trillium Line (and probably better if the line is double tracked later) for 30 mins or worse rural rail service is not a good trade.

I get it, you passionately support the Moose plan.
I'm sanguine on it, but completely support the rights and aspirations of those who have law and history on their side. And an entrepreneurial spirit.

The concern is over the reality of what Moose is proposing.
Then post the figures! With reference. And Keithz doesn't count as a reference.

I guess what you're saying is "don't worry about the Moose frequencies. It'll be good enough". Or, maybe you've been provided inside/confidential information by Moose on what they want to do and think the Moose math is better than the Stage 2 math.
The Ideology Behind “So What You’re Saying Is...”
https://fee.org/articles/the-ideology-behind-so-what-you-re-saying-is/

Show the math that justifies your claim. How difficult can that be for you? Use a calculator if you have to. Get help...

And btw: In a desperate possibility that you don't understand: Moose is not now, and has never, claimed to not want to or to not comply with law as to *shared use* of the tracks as clearly described in at least two Acts, one being the Transportation Act.

You act as if it's "either or".

Last edited:
I'm sanguine on it, but completely support the rights and aspirations of those who have law and history on their side. And an entrepreneurial spirit.

Then post the figures! With reference. And Keithz doesn't count as a reference.

The Ideology Behind “So What You’re Saying Is...”
https://fee.org/articles/the-ideology-behind-so-what-you-re-saying-is/

Show the math that justifies your claim. How difficult can that be for you? Use a calculator if you have to. Get help...

And btw: In a desperate possibility that you don't understand: Moose is not now, and has never, claimed to not want to or to not comply with law as to *shared use* of the tracks as clearly described in at least two Acts, one being the Transportation Act.

You act as if it's "either or".

I don't feel there's a need to note a concern some have with the frequency math beyond what I've already posted. I understand you disagree with that. Noting a concern doesn't automatically mean I fully endorse or support it. I think it is helpful for readers of this thread to be aware that there are different views, particularly from people who live in Ottawa and are very familiar with the local situation. I get that you don't want a certain UT member's concerns to be mentioned. I'll continue to mention any member at my discretion, as you are welcome to do.

So, no.

That said, I'm open minded. If you have a frequency comparison between what Moose is proposing and Stage 2 is proposing, I am always interested in reading other people's views.

Is there anyone who is able to provide definitive proof that Trillium Line corridor frequencies would be cut under MOOSE's plan? As far as I'm aware, this idea is entirely based on personal assumptions.

^ I'm certainly open to reading more if there's any information I haven't seen. Notwithstanding the earlier discussion about interlining done around the world, just in case folks aren't aware, my understanding from Moose's map is that they want to run two lines in the Bayview to Greenboro Trillium Line Corridor as noted below in a map I created that zooms in and tries to intepret the Moose map here. There were comments earlier that Moose hasn't committed to keeping the all of the existing Trillium Line stations or their locations.

Further, Moose in its letter this week said their proposal for the bridge "would not interfere with the delivery timeline of the OLRT Project" so I assume that means they want to keep the Stage 2 plan as is? So there would now need to be three routes interlined on this corridor? I think that's part of where the concern is coming from in terms of frequency. If the City of Ottawa tomorrow handed over complete control of the Stage 2 route to Moose, would the frequencies planned be kept? It's an important issue.

2Fnr6eS

Is there anyone who is able to provide definitive proof that Trillium Line corridor frequencies would be cut under MOOSE's plan? As far as I'm aware, this idea is entirely based on personal assumptions.

"(a) Frequency of the service Moose will provide train service to stations approximately every hour from 5:30 am to midnight.
https://www.letsgomoose.ca/wp-content/uploads/MooseConsortiumInc_ReplyTo24OctLetter_RE_CertificateOfFitness_2016-11-25bPDF.pdf

“Our plan involves operating three-coach, double decker diesel-electric passenger trains with hourly service every day, through Ottawa and Gatineau, and extending out to six rural towns,” said Scott Ivay
http://ottawastart.com/private-consortium-applies-to-feds-to-build-400km-passenger-rail-service/ dated 7 July 2016

"As part of the project, three-coach double decker diesel-electric passenger trains will be operated with hourly service through Ottawa and Gatineau."
http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newsmoose-consortium-seeks-cta-authorisation-rail-service-development-4940107/ dated 3 July 2016

“Our plan involves operating three-coach, double decker diesel-electric passenger trains with hourly service every day, through Ottawa and Gatineau"
https://www.letsgomoose.ca/wp-conte...ficateOfFitnessApplication_2016-06-29_PDF.pdf

With two MOOSE lines running along the Trillium Line, that would mean a frequency along that portion of the network of two trains per hour in each direction. It's also been demonstrated that the MOOSE trains and the O-Trains are incompatible and so they can't both be operating on the same network at the same time. Ergo, if MOOSE replaces the O-Train, the frequency of the service will drop significantly.

"Correct, these would not run on the same track as an LRT. ...there are several places those LRTs can be re-deployed as feeder systems into a main line for overall system efficiency." Joseph Potvin 30 Jun 2017
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7937995#post7937995

On top of that you can add the fact that MOOSE has only budgeted and planned for the acquisition of six train sets which would only be capable of providing service every 2.5 to 3 hours on each line considering that they are operating over a 400km network.

"with six running trains" and "Each of the six trains will be beginning service every day from the terminus located in the semirural towns, and heading into the urban area."
https://www.letsgomoose.ca/wp-conte...ilOperationsMaintancePlan_2016-05-27c_PDF.pdf

Last edited:
"(a) Frequency of the service Moose will provide train service to stations approximately every hour from 5:30 am to midnight.
https://www.letsgomoose.ca/wp-content/uploads/MooseConsortiumInc_ReplyTo24OctLetter_RE_CertificateOfFitness_2016-11-25bPDF.pdf

“Our plan involves operating three-coach, double decker diesel-electric passenger trains with hourly service every day, through Ottawa and Gatineau, and extending out to six rural towns,” said Scott Ivay
http://ottawastart.com/private-consortium-applies-to-feds-to-build-400km-passenger-rail-service/ dated 7 July 2016 which appears to come from a press release of 29 June 2016

"As part of the project, three-coach double decker diesel-electric passenger trains will be operated with hourly service through Ottawa and Gatineau."
http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newsmoose-consortium-seeks-cta-authorisation-rail-service-development-4940107/ dated 3 July 2016

“Our plan involves operating three-coach, double decker diesel-electric passenger trains with hourly service every day, through Ottawa and Gatineau"
https://www.letsgomoose.ca/wp-conte...ficateOfFitnessApplication_2016-06-29_PDF.pdf

On top of that you can add the fact that MOOSE has only budgeted and planned for the acquisition of six train sets which would only be capable of providing service every 2.5 to 3 hours on each line considering that they are operating over a 400km network.

"with six running trains" and "Each of the six trains will be beginning service every day from the terminus located in the semirural towns, and heading into the urban area."
https://www.letsgomoose.ca/wp-conte...ilOperationsMaintancePlan_2016-05-27c_PDF.pdf

I'm well aware of all those, but all they really say is that their rural lines will operate hourly and that they will pass through Ottawa and Gatineau. Nowhere do they specifically state what will happen to service along the existing Trillium Line.

I'm well aware of all those, but all they really say is that their rural lines will operate hourly and that they will pass through Ottawa and Gatineau. Nowhere do they specifically state what will happen to service along the existing Trillium Line.

Now you're the one making assumptions, based on some theoretical fantasy of yours.

Of course, they could buy 20 more trains. Of course, they could run shuttles up and down the Trillium Line. But that's not their plan. That's not what they have accounted for in their financial estimates. Their plan has been well defined in their news releases and in their CTA submission. You have asked for MOOSE's plan and that's exactly what I've quoted. If you can't accept what MOOSE themselves have said then you can continue to live in your own fantasy world about what might be.

PS: I've made some minor edits to my original post which hopefully makes it even more clear.

Those certainly are MOOSE's plans. The ones that involve only six trains. Definitely finalized and certainly won't ever be subject to change.
I think it's been well debated and accepted that MOOSE's application and current documents are still rough estimates and in a lot of ways incomplete.
For example, as @Allandale25 mentioned, we still don't know what will happen with Greenboro station (which is on the Trillium Line corridor).

You haven't answered my actual question which was specific to the Trillium line corridor. There's basically been no indications whatsoever from MOOSE as to the specifics of what will happen on the Trillium Line yet.
Also, none of it answers my other point/question earlier on which was how on earth MOOSE would ever obtain any kind of government approval(s) if their plan would involve wrecking municipal transit inside of Ottawa.

I get that I also don't have any hard evidence to support the idea that MOOSE will still maintain service along the Trillium Line, but that's also kind of my point.
Currently everyone arguing that MOOSE would be overall detrimental because of a drop in service on the Trillium Line is doing so with assumptions, personal beliefs, and incomplete information.
I don't think it's reasonable that either side of this argument could actually win a fact-backed debate on whether the Trillium Line will be seriously affected without any more information from MOOSE.

@Allandale25
@Charles

This is exactly what I mean about Steve being a troll. The City of Ottawa/OC Transpo saying intervals will be 8 mins or less after Stage 2 from 15 min intervals (or thereabouts) today, is apparently not a reliable source.

Why even bother? The troll will simply regurgitate his nonsense. This has all been discussed before. Few weeks/months hence, we'll be regurgitating the same points.

There's a lot of things they could do. But the onus is on them to tell current residents what they WILL do. It's not on us to assume what they MIGHT do. Based on what they have told us, this proposal is no way, shape or form a replacement or even a supplement to Stage 2 Trillium.

What you are arguing is that we should give Moose the benefit of the doubt when their plan has no real detail, and what we know of it is promising worse service than Stage 2. We are supposed to do this on some unspecified hope that they might be able to deliver better service, and that should motivate us to choose Moose over a plan that is funded by three levels of government and mere months away from beginning construction and out on tender already. Explain why any voter or politician should support that.

Last edited:
There's basically been no indications whatsoever from MOOSE as to the specifics of what will happen on the Trillium Line yet.

In the past, Mr. Potvin suggested that Moose would displace OC Transpo service from the Trillium Line. Hence, why I see this proposal as completely useless for Ottawa residents.

I get that I also don't have any hard evidence to support the idea that MOOSE will still maintain service along the Trillium Line, but that's also kind of my point.
Currently everyone arguing that MOOSE would be overall detrimental because of a drop in service on the Trillium Line is doing so with assumptions, personal beliefs, and incomplete information.
I don't think it's reasonable that either side of this argument could actually win a fact-backed debate on whether the Trillium Line will be seriously affected without any more information from MOOSE.

Stop with the "both sides" bullshit.nnThis is not one of those situations.

If I show up at your house and demand access, presumably you will want to know what my plans are once I get in. Would you not want specifics? Would you let me on a mere assumption of what I plan to do at some point in the future?

Moose wants access to the Trillium Line corridor. It's up to them to prove to Ottawa residents, that there is a benefit for us, and that we should support OC Transpo giving them access to a publicly owned asset.

Last edited:
In the past, Mr. Potvin suggested that Moose would displace OC Transpo service from the Trillium Line. Hence, why I see this proposal as completely useless for Ottawa residents.

Well, MOOSE's plan has never been solely focused on Ottawa alone. I also wouldn't say "completely useless".
That also doesn't answer the question of service levels.

Well, MOOSE's plan has never been solely focused on Ottawa alone.

As an Ottawa taxpayer, I don't give a shit about what happens outside the city's jurisdiction. I expect the city's politicians, bureaucracy and infrastructure to prioritize me, the taxpaying resident, above all else.

So how the Trillium Line (a city owned asset) is utilized should first and foremost be to the benefit of Ottawa residents.

I also wouldn't say "completely useless".

As @Charles showed, the current expectation is hourly service. That is substantially worse that today's service. And exponentially worse than Stage 2. Not to mention Stage 2 providing service to the airport which Moose cannot do.

That also doesn't answer the question of service levels.

Yes it does. As @Charles has detailed you'll get hourly service if Moose displaces Trillium. Anything above that requires us to make assumptions. Are you an insider at Moose that knows what future plans are? If not, why should anybody believe that Moose would be capable of higher service than what has been publicly announced?

If you have sources that Moose can even come close to 15 min intervals provided today, please post them. If not, explain why we should assume Moose can do better than what they have submitted to the authorities.

Last edited:

Exactly.

MOOSE would work to achieve 5-minute service on the Trillium Line. Of course double-tracking.

But (as the punchline goes): "the lightbulb has to want to change".

Joseph Potvin
Director General | Directeur général
Moose Consortium (Mobility Ottawa-Outaouais: Systems & Enterprises) | www.letsgomoose.com
Consortium Moose (Mobilité Outaouais-Ottawa: Systèmes & Enterprises) | www.onyvamoose.com

@Allandale25
@Charles

This is exactly what I mean about Steve being a troll. The City of Ottawa/OC Transpo saying intervals will be 8 mins or less after Stage 2 from 15 min intervals (or thereabouts) today, is apparently not a reliable source.

Why even bother? The troll will simply regurgitate his nonsense. This has all been discussed before. Few weeks/months hence, we'll be regurgitating the same points.

There's a lot of things they could do. But the onus is on them to tell current residents what they WILL do. It's not on us to assume what they MIGHT do. Based on what they have told us, this proposal is no way, shape or form a replacement or even a supplement to Stage 2 Trillium.

What you are arguing is that we should give Moose the benefit of the doubt when their plan has no real detail, and what we know of it is promising worse service than Stage 2. We are supposed to do this on some unspecified hope that they might be able to deliver better service, and that should motivate us to choose Moose over a plan that is funded by three levels of government and mere months away from beginning construction and out on tender already. Explain why any voter or politician should support that.

The passing tracks added 5 years ago were supposed to increase frequencies to 8 minutes. Instead, we're now at a steady 12 minute frequency. It's unlikely that 8 minutes will be attainable without more double tracking.

Sure. MOOSE could and should provide more information. If they had provided all the information we all needed, this thread might not be 36 pages long and the one in the other forum wouldn't be over 60 pages long.
Considering their lack of funding, their proposal is quite detailed. Once they receive their funding, I'm sure we'll see more details. (And we'll have to considering their plan requires "public" approval (via the government))

Stop with the "both sides" bullshit.nnThis is not one of those situations.

If I show up at your house and demand access, presumably you will want to know what my plans are once I get in. Would you not want specifics? Would you let me on a mere assumption of what I plan to do at some point in the future?

Moose wants access to the Trillium Line corridor. It's up to them to prove to Ottawa residents, that there is a benefit for us, and that we should support OC Transpo giving them access to a publicly owned asset.

And in what way is it not? As you mentioned later, I clearly need evidence that MOOSE can achieve 15 minute intervals to prove something to you, but I can't. But at the same time, with the currently available information, you can't definitively prove that the opposite will necessarily be true once MOOSE goes to the federal government for approval.

As an Ottawa taxpayer, I don't give a shit about what happens outside the city's jurisdiction. I expect the city's politicians, bureaucracy and infrastructure to prioritize me, the taxpaying resident, above all else.

So how the Trillium Line (a city owned asset) is utilized should first and foremost be to the benefit of Ottawa residents.
This is why we can't have nice things. With a sizable portion of the population of the NCR living across a provincial border, it kind of makes good (or better) interpovincial transit difficult. Were you also against amalgamation?

Sure, but at this point they haven't. That's fine. To gain support they'll absolutely have to in the future. But you can't start making claims that they'll be a detriment to public transit when they're still in a planning phase and haven't published the necessary information to make that kind of judgement.

As @Charles showed, the current expectation is hourly service. That is substantially worse that today's service. And exponentially worse than Stage 2. Not to mention Stage 2 providing service to the airport which Moose cannot do.

Yes it does. As @Charles has detailed you'll get hourly service if Moose displaces Trillium. Anything above that requires us to make assumptions. Are you an insider at Moose that knows what future plans are? If not, why should anybody believe that Moose would be capable of higher service than what has been publicly announced?

If you have sources that Moose can even come close to 15 min intervals provided today, please post them. If not, explain why we should assume Moose can do better than what they have submitted to the authorities.

If you look at the areas that would actually receive hourly service, it's actually substantially better than today since they currently receive no service... Assuming all three lines ran hourly and the two that use the Trillium Line corridor are interlined and evenly spaced out (time-wise), you'd be looking at a frequency of 30 minutes. Increasing that to match today's service levels (by using shuttles that only run the length of the Trillium Line) wouldn't require that many more trains.

The airport can be run entirely separate to the rest of the system. As far as we know now, that's actually the current plan.

Yes, I'm making assumptions. But so are you. I'm basing my assumptions on the fact that it would be kind of suicidal for them to waltz into parliament and say "yeah we're turning 12 minute frequencies to 30 minute frequencies". All I can tell (from what I've read) is that you're basing your assumptions on trying to find a reason a reason to dislike MOOSE.

And as I was writing this, Mr. Potvin has added some of the information we needed.

Back