News   Apr 26, 2024
 400     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 995     1 

Montreal: the "new" McGill street and Quebecor tower

MartinMtl

Member Bio
Reaction score
McGill is located in the western part of Old Montreal, crossing the neighourhood in the south-north axis, linking the Old Port with the Quartier International and downtown. It's been revamped in the last few months with new street furnitures (very sober), granit sidewalk, trees, etc. Two historic squares on the street are also redone (no pics, sorry). As a bonus, some pictures of the new Quebecor tower. Enjoy!

85048451.jpg

85048453.jpg

85048455.jpg

85048460.jpg

85048458.jpg

85048462.jpg

85048464.jpg

85048466.jpg

85048468.jpg

85048471.jpg

85048472.jpg

85048475.jpg

It's great to see a street of beautiful historic building uninterrupted by random glass towers between them in a Canadian metropolis. And the building in the last photo is really nice. Too bad there are no photos of those historic squares.

brrrrrrrrrrrr. I shiver whenever I see my old 'hood; in February -40 and no salt on the sidewalks:( In the summer, it used to be rather quiet too except the 9-5 lunch crowd. Looks like my fave poutine+burger joint is history (see the "patio" shot.) On a November weekend--ghost town.

So that's why the sidewalks were in such poor condition: waiting for a nice makeover.

Thanks for the memories--I'll be back but this time it's plateau all the time for me:)

When I left Montreal eons ago, McGill was quite bummy and run-down. So good to see it looking as it is now.

Looks very nice, but I am confused; where are the random strips of asphalt, spray-painted utility locations, hydro wires, and cracked pavement?

In all seriousness though, we should be embarassed that a city with far less wealth can get its act together to attractively fix up a street (on McGill and so many other MTL thoroughfares) while in Toronto if a street ever gets much work done it's so half-assed and unfinished that it often looks worse than before (I refer you to St. Clair).

Edit: and I know all about Montreal's problems with potholes and other crumbling infrastructure, but when it decides to clean up a street a nice job is almost invariably done, and done often--Decarie was revamped recently as well, right?

You can thank Toronto taxpayers for those lovely sidewalks. Giving is so much more rewarding than getting, isn't it?

Really nice . I was in the grand Metropole a few weeks ago visiting some of my old haunts. The city hasn't changed much but certainly it is visibly more prosperous, and easily one of the most interesting cities in North America for historic architecture. The breadth and concentration of old buildings is remarkable. I think this area along McGill st- between the Old City and the International quarter- is going to be a real hotspot in future.

These were some of the most haunting streets in Montreal, at night, just before these changes. You could sometimes hear your steps come back into your ears and sound like they came from another person.

But it looks like there will finally be an inviting after hours place to go if the businesses fill up those newly refurbished storefronts. For me, Montreal means good places to dine, especially in the summer, I hope to see it for myself next year, and see if there is more to this than just a spiffying up.

For me, McGill reminds me of my stroll from my loft to the Square Victoria metro stn going to work my sad 9-5 life; i was so tired from my job i could never enjoy the nightlife:( Then coming home just in time to appear "live" on the TQS news (they often taped the news from outside on the street.) In the Winter I grew addicted to the long Metro tunnel/escalators up to "civilization" on Ste Cat's. Oh yeah need I mention the incredibly stylish business women? Stilettos and mini skirts in January!:)
That area lacked a decent grocery store (yeah I understand there's a trendy upscale place at the foot of McGill.) It was only after I moved away--2003--I realized what an enjoyable time I had there. McGill: Wish I'd gone to university there instead I just lived a few feet from the street!

Back