News   Jun 25, 2024
 937     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 846     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Montréal Transit Developments

Legault´s Twitter account posted a meeting with the CDPQ leaders discussing transit plans and had this interesting diagram in it. I zoomed in on the plan. The image was removed shortly after and reposted blurred.

12FFDC3B-99A7-43E1-8FBE-A545CFD1730E.jpeg
C5D22356-DD0E-4D81-8A02-24DD77AB9780.jpeg

Looks like the pink line and Notre-Dame LRT combined!

Legault´s Twitter account posted a meeting with the CDPQ leaders discussing transit plans and had this interesting diagram in it. I zoomed in on the plan. The image was removed shortly after and reposted blurred.

View attachment 265533

Last edited:

"(Quebec) A “phase 2” of the Réseau express métropolitain (REM) is in preparation, while the Caisse de dépôt et placement has notified the Legault government of its interest in extending its electric train network to the east of the Island of Montreal."

"Two antennas would be added: one would link Pointe-aux-Trembles to downtown, the other would be located in the axis of Autoroute 25 and go north, as far as Cégep Marie-Victorin."

"(Quebec) A “phase 2” of the Réseau express métropolitain (REM) is in preparation, while the Caisse de dépôt et placement has notified the Legault government of its interest in extending its electric train network to the east of the Island of Montreal."

"Two antennas would be added: one would link Pointe-aux-Trembles to downtown, the other would be located in the axis of Autoroute 25 and go north, as far as Cégep Marie-Victorin."
I was about to post that!

Here are some more interesting tidbits from the article: (Google Translated)

The CDPQ is only interested in REM. More extensions are possible, but all are conceptual except the eastern extensions that were leaked.
He is not interested in the addition of another transport system such as a streetcar, which has already been mentioned in the past, particularly for Notre-Dame Street in the east. The Caisse prefers to focus on the development of the REM. If it plans to extend its network in Laval, the work is less advanced than in the case of the eastern part of the island. They are even less so about the addition of antennas on the South Shore - from the DIX-30 to Chambly and on the Taschereau Boulevard to La Prairie axis, according to our source. This is why the eastward extension is set to become Phase 2, the section that is preferred for the moment.

An extension to Lachine (AKA the Pink Line) is possible. If the CDPQ is building it, will be a REM extension.
At this stage, this phase does not include an antenna from the city centre to the Lachine borough. However, the development of a "structuring link" to the southwest is still under consideration by the government, under an agreement reached with Mayor Valérie Plante last year. This agreement allowed the transfer of $800 million from a federal envelope from the city of Quebec to complete funding for Mayor Labeaume's structuring network.

There are indications that the REM Phase 1 is over budget.
The Caisse expects the first departures of the electric train to take place next year on the South Shore antenna, which connects Brossard to The Central Station in the city centre. Officially, this project is valued at 6.5 billion, but La Presse has already shown that invoices have been added along the way to bring the total costs to nearly 7.5 billion.

RER with 15-minute off-peak service is generally considered S-Bahn. Why won't GO achieve this? They've already partially achieved it on the Lakeshore East line, but not yet, as shoulder and weekend services drop to every 30 minutes, and once upgrades and electrification are complete I don't see how it doesn't qualify.

And surely the Montreal REM system is equivalent to S-Bahn. It will have the frequencies, and the Alstom Metropolis rolling stock is similar to the Alstom Metropolis rolling stock used on Sydney's Metro, which is considered equivalent to S-Bahn.
Well yes, REM may be considered S-Bahn but it only covers half the city. Until it covers the entire city, it's no S-Bahn system.
The beauty of the S-Bahn system in Berlin is that it is so robustly supported by equally well developed regional trains, U-Bahn, trams, buses, etc.
I applaud all efforts that we are making at expanding our transit options in Canadian cities but let's be crystal clear: we will NEVER catch up to Berlin-level transit. It's simply not possible. Whatever we're currently doing to expand our transit they're doing even more to expand their already vastly superior network. We will never catch up, we're way too far behind to begin with and despite whatever we do, they keep doing more. They continue to expand the lead.

Same here. I was going to respond to him by pointing out how factually incorrect many of his statements have become, but then I thought, oh why bother. Life's too short.
I'll call you on my factual incorrectness. Go ahead. Feel free to correct me. I'm curious.
I always welcome new information, even if it proves me wrong!

Last edited:
Well yes, REM may be considered S-Bahn but it only covers half the city. Until it covers the entire city, it's no S-Bahn system.
That's a different definition of S-Bahn than I'm familiar with. As you seem to have more familiarity with this type of system, can you point to where the definition of S-Bahn is network-based rather than vehicle/capacity/design-related?

Also, looking at the S-Bahn Mittelelbe - that's only a single line, with only 9 stations in the city. How is that an S-Bahn then - or is there something lost in translation, where it's an S-Bahn in German, but not an S-Bahn in English?

Looks like the off-peak frequency on this S-Bahn is every 30 minutes. Is the REM not an S-Bahn because it's too frequent?

1599146236981.png

Back