News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 949     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Montréal Transit Developments

Most (all?) of the Skytrain tunnels are new. I'm scratching my head where any existing rail corridors were used in Vancouver on most of the lines, except perhaps around False Creek and the two stops to Commerical-Broadway. Yeah, 2 or 3 stops on the Millennium line in Vancouver use rail corridors. Yeah, they used some (but not a heck of a lot) of rail lines in New Westminster. Barely more than a few metres in Burnaby. Nothing in Richmond, other than the elevated track over a rail yard.

In addition to the repurposed Dunsmuir Tunnel downtown, most of the Expo Line east of Broadway & Commercial uses the former Central Park Line right-of-way from the BC Electric interurban streetcar/tramway that used to run to New Westminster and beyond into the Fraser Valley. Those lines also carried freight as well.
Here's a map that shows the Central Park Line (you can also see the Lulu Island Line (now known as the Arbutus Corridor):
interurbanmap_web.jpg

You can see the railway corridor (where the Expo Line is now) on the left of this Metrotown pic from 1980:
9kow3i42rso11.jpg

by Dave2onreddit

Last edited:

After a night at the movies on Montreal's South Shore on Monday, Michel-André Grégoire and his wife got an exclusive tour of the city's new light-rail train garage, but all they really wanted was to go home.

The couple got stuck in the garage in Brossard, Que., because the train they boarded went the wrong way for reasons that remain a mystery.

I find it fascinating that the Griffintown station has not been built yet - even with the delays! What's the hold up?

It's unfortunately not a surprise that the STM map doesn't have the REM as a thick light green line - that's what happens when your regional transit operator has very little power over the largest transit agency. Poor show by the STM wayfinding team.

I find it fascinating that the Griffintown station has not been built yet - even with the delays! What's the hold up?

It's unfortunately not a surprise that the STM map doesn't have the REM as a thick light green line - that's what happens when your regional transit operator has very little power over the largest transit agency. Poor show by the STM wayfinding team.
Valérie took years to choose the name that she said she wanted with the fake consultations. It won't be started soon as it's supposedly a new contact to be tendered. Haven't seen anything official.

The REM's wayfinding was done by the STM and paid by the ARTM.

Valérie took years to choose the name that she said she wanted with the fake consultations. It won't be started soon as it's supposedly a new contact to be tendered. Haven't seen anything official.

The REM's wayfinding was done by the STM and paid by the ARTM.
I was talking about the STM map (left), not the ARTM one (right).

Screenshot 2023-08-02 at 20.24.28.png

After a night at the movies on Montreal's South Shore on Monday, Michel-André Grégoire and his wife got an exclusive tour of the city's new light-rail train garage, but all they really wanted was to go home.

The couple got stuck in the garage in Brossard, Que., because the train they boarded went the wrong way for reasons that remain a mystery.

The REM is off to a rocky start. From a significant breakdown on Day 1 of regular service, to have the cars route passengers into the Maintenance/Storage facility at the end of the same day!

This signage was presented as evidence of Griffintown on AgoraMtl:

ecda200b6e31852056ba4fae7fdb6f6ec9acce2e.jpeg

Source

Surprised they went with the ”GRF”-acronym instead of ”GBL”.

I really hope this station opens in 2024.

Edit:
… The person managing the construction of the DM segment is in charge of this station. Once the work is done there, this station will begin construction most likely. They said they’ll share the estimated schedule later this year.
Source

Last edited:
Some news for the other South Shore REM line planned. Aerial on the 134 and at grade near Vieux-Longueuil next to the 132.

Vancouver used SkyTrain technology due to being strong armed by Bourassa/Bombardier and it was opening for Expo 86 who's primary focus was on transportation.............BUT, it was also due to the Dunsmuir Tunnel. Standard subway cars were to big to fit in the tunnel and even thinner ones would have had problems trying to make that very sharp turn between Burrard & Waterfront stations. LRT wasn't an option either because the tunnels were too shallow to allow for the catenary clearance.

Besides the politics, the Dunsmuir Tunnel dictated the kind of technology the SkyTrain would use.

July29
I found service the same speed on Sunday as I did on the Sat

It was a zoo on Sunday that I never got to reshoot the front view that I shot on Sat

I got in line at 8:15 Sunday and the 60th in line. At 9:00 am, a few 100's behind me. Was told the line up ran all the way over to the Terminus Longueuil doors and pass it. Close to 200 in line when I went to get the car to head to the US.

Got to see VIA Rail 2201 and 2204 in the yard

Good thing I wasn't doing the Monday trips

20 minute trip from end to end

Fast Speed

So is it at all possible that now that people can see the quality of the REM, the REM de l'Est plan will come back as originally intended and not the more expensive yet worse new plan?
Well with the PM saying - Valérie, it's about time. Jean-Marc will make you a beautiful project - in front of everyone last Friday, basically it's hinting you have the REM de l'Est or nothing. That's what most people think. I believe we will see the line in Longueuil before the REM de l'Est. At least waiting for a non-woke mayor for Montréal.

The planned route for LÉEO was this one. I expect the REM to follow a similar route.
tramway-longueuil-leeo.jpeg

Last edited:

Back